chrismgtis

First Helicopter Jump

I live and jump in Japan where our regular jumpship is a chopper. Great view of Mt Fuji and 8 minutes to altitude also add to the experience. I've almost forgotten what it feels like to get out of a plane. Only seats 5 though which is a drag at times - especially here as some big sunset tracking dives would be awesome.

It's a USPA requirement. I'm guessing it's because you need to be good at getting on your belly fast. There's dead air at first and by time you hit terminal you need to pull so you gotta get stable pretty damn quick.

A 'B' license is definitely a good idea for balloon jumps, because you're probably not going to land on the DZ and the jumper's canopy skills should be of a level where they can deal with an off-DZ landing. Not so important with a helicopter where they can actually spot the thing.

Both my balloon and helicopter jumps were around 4000.

I thought we were at 5000 (I was looking at the helicopters instrument panel). But I may be wrong. I've noticed instrument panel and wrist altimeter are two different things. I think instrument panels have some kind of barometric pressure adjustment mechanism that makes them have to be adjusted sometimes? Dunno. Either way, I looked down and everything was pretty big. One of those "You should ride down" thoughts entered my mind. When that happens I usually think "The hell I will" and pretend I can fly.

Pilots and aircract deal with MSL, jumpers talk in AGL. You should definitely talk to some pilots/experienced jumpers and understand this concept and what it means to your canopy flight, especially before travelling to another DZ.
I got nuthin

Did a few jumps from an MI-8 tailgate chopper couple of years ago. Three-abreast, linked by hands, back to the door with heels over the edge of the tailgate. Simply tipped out backwards into dead air at 12,000 feet above the Tatra mountains in Solvakia. Probably the best jump I ever did.

A technical question: Do digital altimeters work on balloon jumps without problem (assuming that the ground is flat), or is the climb rate too slow so it confuses it for just driving up a big hill?

*** ???????????????

Digital altimeters (at least the one I have) activate when they sense a high rate of ascent. Hausse was asking if the rate of ascent of a balloon is high enough to activate a digital altimeter. If not, then the altimeter would just think it was driving up a really long hill.

Digital altimeters (at least the one I have) activate when they sense a high rate of ascent. Hausse was asking if the rate of ascent of a balloon is high enough to activate a digital altimeter. If not, then the altimeter would just think it was driving up a really long hill.

*** Altimeters sense changes in barometric pressure, not rate of change. I'm kind of confused here. Are we talking about altimeters or freefall computers?
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I'm not entirely sure I understand the difference, so I'll explain what I think is correct, and then let you correct me.
I have a neptune, which I refer to as a digital altimeter, since it has a nice little digital screen for me to read instead of the clockface of an analog altimeter. As long as I am landing at the same place I'm taking off from, I don't need to set the neptune to 0.0 before taking off. The neptune can sense the rapid change in barometric pressure (I originally said it was sensing the rate of ascent, which is not literally accurate I guess, as it is converting pressure data into altitude data and then comparing that against time to determine rate of ascent) when the plane takes off and automatically sets itself at 0.0 then. It will normally not set itself at 0.0 for slower changes in barometric pressure, such as when driving up a hill or changes in atmospheric pressure throughout the day. This, as I understand it, was what Hausse's question was about.
On to freefall computers. In my understanding, a freefall computer is just a function of most digital altimeters that allows you to record data during a dive and check that data out later. If that is incorrect, I'd be interested to know what the correct definition is.
Thanks.

Some digital altimeters activate the digital recording (FreeFall Speeds, opening, etc) in those conditions.
Altitude is always displayed.
I think digital recording consumes more battery.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Congrats Chris! And BEER!!!;)

I owe so much beer. At the Christmas party at Dilworth Billiards last year I bought Pete a beer since he was on so many of my instructed jumps in the past and was one hell of a great instructor. I tried to offer beer to a few others but they wouldn't let me. :)

So do you get the sensation of "falling" (stomach in your throat) when you jump from a chopper/balloon?

I missed the balloon, but on the helicopter jump I did feel some slight sensation of falling for maybe a second and a half or two. Though it wasn't really as extreme as a rollercoaster. Though, it was weird cause like I said when I started to fall I screamed "holllllly shittttt" or something of that sort. :D

Congrats!
IMHO rear exits from Mi-8 are the best!
Here, I found some pics for you.
Mi-8 exit1
Mi-8 exit2
B|

I've never seen a helicopter like that before. Definitely want to try that. Though.. I'm broke lately :P.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I thought it was in the SIM that you had to have a B to do night jumps, water jumps, helo jumps, balloon jumps, high alti jumps and stuff like that.

Water jumps with an "A"...so you can do live water jump training before your "B". :S
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I've never seen a helicopter like that before. Definitely want to try that.

OTOH I have 150+ helicopter jumps and not a single one out of Otter, Caravan, Casa... :P

That's cool in a lot of ways.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan