pyrodude

Terrible day at Elsinore

I finally got my ass back to the DZ to continue my AFF training. I was waiting to be manifested for my level 2 jump when an accident occured and an experienced male jumper died. To say that it was an appalling tragedy is an understatement. For a variety of reasons I didn't end up jumping today when operations resumed. I plan on returning on vacation in a week or so. Knowledge and execution of emergency procedures and thorough prejump equipment inspection are things I intend to never take lightly.

Any more info I thought with the advent of AADS (which I did not have 25yrs ago) that this did not happen anymore Was it a low cutaway etc
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

I just looked up the local newspaper it says he cutaway the main but no evidence of any reserve deployment again my question as a novice I thought the cypress solved this sort of accident unless he left it far too long to cutaway. losing my nerve a bit now
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

The cypress helps in certain situations, but not all. I fortunately did not make it to the dz as I was planning, so i don't know full details, but it sounds like in this case, even if he had a cpress, it probably would not have helped.

I personally don't own a cypress, so can't tell you the specifics, but I can tell you that it needs certain perameters met in order to arm and operate. If you do a search on these forums, you can find some of that information.

RIP Shindig!
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I just looked up the local newspaper it says he cutaway the main but no evidence of any reserve deployment again my question as a novice I thought the cypress solved this sort of accident unless he left it far too long to cutaway. losing my nerve a bit now

A Cypress or any other AAD is just a back-up device. If you're going to put all of your faith into it and depend on it to save your life, then you probably shouldn't be skydiving.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

A Cypress or any other AAD is just a back-up device. If you're going to put all of your faith into it and depend on it to save your life, then you probably shouldn't be skydiving.

This is true but the reports say that he cutaway at around 1500. That means that he should have been doing over 78mph as he travelled through 750 feet. Which means a cypress would have saved his life.
I think you are mad if you dont jump with one.

Lisa,
I met you the night before at Elsinore...I also saw you the next morning when I was picking up my truck and later that day...

I did not know Rick well but he seemed like a very nice guy and I KNOW he was one hell of a skydiver!!

My heart goes out to his wife and kids.....

Sincerely,
Steve

I never knew Rick very well, but remember seeing him around a lot at Elsinore. Especially two years ago, when he was shooting for the Select Team as they trained for the World Meet. As a husband and father myself, this news is heartbraking. My love and prayers to his family and my friends in the Elsinore family.

Let's all be safe out there. Let's not ever forget what we're really doing every time we jump.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hey im not a mod or anything but there is already a discussion that stuntbabex linked to, use that for any discussion, this thread is for condolences. and with that being said.

i send my deepest condolences to Shindig's family and im just happy that i was able to meet this Man, Marine, Deputy, and Skydiver and learn from him. may he Rest In Peace.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

> Any more info I thought with the advent of AADS (which I did not
>have 25yrs ago) that this did not happen anymore

AAD's are not designed to fire reserves after a cutaway, although they sometimes will. A few years back, there was a fatality at the WFFC when a jumper cut away just above 1000 feet and did not deploy his reserve. He had a cypres but did not reach activation speed by 130 feet, and so it did not fire.

An RSL is the correct device to use as a backup for reserve deployment after a cutaway.

This is true but the reports say that he cutaway at around 1500. That means that he should have been doing over 78mph as he travelled through 750 feet. Which means a cypress would have saved his life.
I think you are mad if you dont jump with one.

See billvons post.

I think people are mad for making jumps where they think they need one.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

according to the other thread, his Cypres was out for revision.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I finally got my ass back to the DZ to continue my AFF training. I was waiting to be manifested for my level 2 jump when an accident occured and an experienced male jumper died. To say that it was an appalling tragedy is an understatement. For a variety of reasons I didn't end up jumping today when operations resumed. I plan on returning on vacation in a week or so. Knowledge and execution of emergency procedures and thorough prejump equipment inspection are things I intend to never take lightly.

I am sorry to all those that witnessed this accident. During my 4th Skydive a number of years ago I witnessed a jumper go in. I left the DZ that day realizing how dangerous this sport can be. It took me 6 years to understand the dangerous and the risk management, and I am back. Though I am sorry to all that witnessed.

I think people are mad for making jumps where they think they need one. (AAD)

I'm not sure whether to agree or disagree with this statement. I agree that if you rely on your AAD and think that you will need your AAD on a jump them you shouldn't jump.

Nevertheless I feel safer knowing that my AAD is there and is on.

Similarly I don't think I need my reserve on any particular jump (and if I did I wouldn't jump), but I feel safer knowing that is there.

And yes, I understand that in some circumstances, either safety device might kill me, but overall I think I'm safer having both.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

The cypress helps in certain situations, but not all. I fortunately did not make it to the dz as I was planning, so i don't know full details, but it sounds like in this case, even if he had a cpress, it probably would not have helped.

How do figure that?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

>>even if he had a cpress, it probably would not have helped.

>How do figure that?

Because he may not have gotten to firing speed before he hit 130 feet. A jumper died at the WFFC a while back when he cut away above 1000 feet and did not pull the reserve. His cypres did not fire.

Hey im not a mod or anything but there is already a discussion that stuntbabex linked to, use that for any discussion, this thread is for condolences.

No - this thread is for the discussion of a terrible day at Elsinore.

The Blue Skies forum is for condolences.
T.I.N.S.

I was there at Elsinore :(....The day after (sunday) was my FJC...I was more than a little perplexed and curious about the situation, but some experienced skydivers there at the dz helped me walk through the reality of this sport I am choosing to participate in and the "speculated" reasons behind this tragedy....As I performed my AFF 1 and 2 the next day, I reminded myself of this reality, constantly aware of my cutaway and reserve deployment procedures....

My prayers are with his family and loved ones.

Blue skies

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen