hechz

Sprained ankle advice.

On 4-Jun I did a jump at Skydive Long Island. Only my 14th, and on landing I tried to slow my forward progress, like moron, and managed to kill my lift too soon. I dropped my self on my ankle and sprained it pretty badly. I was on crutches for two weeks, and then a cane for two. I am walking and using it everyday with no support, but I still feel mild soreness and/or twinges of pain. I am not sure if it ready for landing or not. Can some of those that have had sprained ankles before let me know how they felt after 6 weeks, and how long you all took off from jumping.

interesting that you posted this.

I sprained my ankle three weeks ago from today (playing softbal...who knew) and I still haven't been able to jump. I'm still limping around like a gimp.

I'm also a runner, so I thought...if I can run, then I can jump. I'm kinda waiting till then...I guess there's no need to risk in hurting it worse...

It is annoying though...being unable to do the things you love is a bummer...

This thread touch a chord with me as well. just today I tore a muscle in my knee, getting ON the plane. It was actually an injury from an elliptical trainer that popped when I lifted my leg to climb the ladder. I went ahead and jumped then went to the dr. I am out for an unknown timeframe. I have three jumps to get my B, all other requirements are met and I was going to get them Saturday, before my birthday on Sunday. Add to that my new goggles were on the step when I came home from the Dr. and my new canopy comes on Tuesday. I am bummed.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I have gone to the doctor, they don't really understand the potential impacts in skydiving and I am pretty poor at explaining the exact feeling. I am not hoping for a diagnosis from the forum, just want to get a rough idea of others experiences.

That is unfortunate, I hope that you get well soon. I am amazed that you made the jump anyway! Keep us posted on your prognosis.

I jumped because I thought it was actually a good thing. My knee was a bit sore from the trainer and I thought the pop was something going back into place, but as the afternoon wore on I knew it was not so.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

On 4-Jun I did a jump at Skydive Long Island. Only my 14th, and on landing I tried to slow my forward progress, like moron, and managed to kill my lift too soon. I dropped my self on my ankle and sprained it pretty badly. I was on crutches for two weeks, and then a cane for two. I am walking and using it everyday with no support, but I still feel mild soreness and/or twinges of pain. I am not sure if it ready for landing or not. Can some of those that have had sprained ankles before let me know how they felt after 6 weeks, and how long you all took off from jumping.

I sprained my ankle quite badly on my 2nd aff jump. No wind day, came in half brakes, then let off too late (80ft) and then flared a bit high....and didnt PLF as I should have...it hurt. A lot. Lesson learnt.

Fast forward and I HAD to jump within 6 weeks due to currency requirements and I still didnt feel 100%...
I got physio and the swelling had only just ALL gone (as in my ankle was its old shape again!) at 6 weeks but I strapped the ankle up using a quality sports ankle support (get one..its sooo worth it for insurance) and prepared to PLF like a mo fo.

Luckily I sorted the landings a bit and that gave me chance to heal 100%.
I used a wobble board (google it) and did 20 minutes morning and night religously until it felt stronger than my other ankle then I carried on using it for both of them just for added strength!

Allright...... let me say...... I injured my ankles pretty badly over the years. I repeatedly destroyed my right ankle snowboarding until they finally rebuilt it and tightened up the ankle box through surgery. I later shattered my tib/fib in a bar-fight(I own a bar). Both ankles were issues for me well before I ever started skydiving or fixed object jumping.
If you can't get your ankle back to at least 90% of normal... don't do it. Every time you disconnect your tendons from the bone thru bad sprains.... you just get that much closer to the operating table. If you are going to take chances with your ankle let me suggest the following:
1. Find a sport therapist that works with hockey players. Those idiots wreck there feet. Have them teach you how to use 2 inch tape to x-cross-wrap your ankle for support. It helps to shave the bottom of your leg. The 2" wrap sold at climbing stores is the best. Buy a set of medical scissors to cut off you x-wrapped boot nightly.
2. Buy a set of Han-Vag boots for paragliders.(also Base jumpers) . Apexbase.com sells them. They have saved me more than once on not so graceful landings.
3. Buy one size larger parachute. Life is always easier with more nylon over your head.
4. Choose wisely your jump conditions. Tons of wind= NO GOOD. No Wind = So/So . 5-10 mph = optimal landing under conservative canopy.

just my .02 cents

p.s. all injuries pre-parachuting
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

I've bunged both my ankles multiple times, from sprains to tears and the occasional snap, plenty of surgery (all prior to skydiving).

You don't want to rush it.

PLF or sliding it in is your friend, I got no problems rolling/sliding it in on even the nicest landings on large canopies, I probably do it on 75%+ of my landings (which a normal jumper would stand up 100% of the time, without a doubt).

Sometimes you got to sacrifice your ego a bit when you got weak ankles... you would be suprised how easy they are to reinjure. You could wait multiple months and one day you will reach a foot out on landing and BAM!

It's a sad fact, but once you've buggered it once, it's MUCH easier next time.

Have sprained an ankle jumping (my only skydiving injury to date) and the general rule of thumb that I went by was that you should be able to "run" up / down stairs before you start jumping if you want it to be fully healed.

That said, a lot of it depends on experience. I have seen a guy jump with a cast on his broken foot before. He was even a doctor! Not smart I know, but he had well over a 1000 jumps and upsized to a 170 from a 90ish sized canopy. He cut his own cast off a few weeks later. Highly recommending you don't follow in his footsteps and ensure that things are fully healed before you jump again!!!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Stay out of the air until you can run on it without pain or discomfort. If you go too early and re-injure it you may be out for much longer. The sky will be there when you are ready.

Another problem with getting back in the sky too early is that you will favor the injured leg, thereby putting more stress on the "good" leg.

Then you'll get a chance to leave a voice mail like the one I got recently: "Hi, I'm in the back of an ambulance......"
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I have gone to the doctor, they don't really understand the potential impacts in skydiving and I am pretty poor at explaining the exact feeling. I am not hoping for a diagnosis from the forum, just want to get a rough idea of others experiences.

Alright that make sense. Years ago I was involved in a nasty scuba diving accident. I was lucky to have escape with my life, (as 4 people that day did not). I had a few ligaments in my left foot tear as well as a few other joints in the body.
Every once in a while if I transfer my weight to quickly (ie rolling out of bed in the mornings), I can reset the injury in my left foot. So I usually make it a habit to do some stretches, mostly focusing on my left foot, before all my jumps. This has been helpful to me so far with both skydiving and rock climbing.
Though do not follow my advice until AFTER the sprain heals up.

Speaking from personal experience, soft tissue heals at its own pace. There is a reason people say some sprains are worse than fractures. I've had two broken ankles- both times, the bones themselves healed much faster than the muscles and ligaments. The second time around I was on the ground for about 8 months and really not even close to 100% when I started jumping again.

A few questions for you ....... Can you run on it? Jump on it? Jump off something the height of a chair and land on it? Do you know the proper way to slide in a landing without hurting your back or tailbone and are you willing to do it?

When I had 50 jumps, I sprained both ankles moderately. I could barely walk when I got home, and took three or four times as long to walk around at work the first few days, but like an idiot, let my friend drag me back out to the DZ and jump the next weekend. I wore ace ankle pull-on supports, two pairs of socks and my hi-top hiking boots and didn't have any problems. Even went skydiving for the next 13 weekends straight. :S

YMMV, but listen to your doctor, as well as yourself.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Alright that make sense. Years ago I was involved in a nasty scuba diving accident. I was lucky to have escape with my life, (as 4 people that day did not). I had a few ligaments in my left foot tear as well as a few other joints in the body.

What sort of accident was that? Surf zone? Boat strike?

[
Fast forward and I HAD to jump within 6 weeks due to currency requirements and I still didnt feel 100%...

Wrong answer! You never HAVE to jump. It may have saved you some time or money but that doesn't mean you HAD to jump.>:(

Would you say the same thing about high winds, low clouds, cold temperatures or that a crowd was waiting at a demo?

Let me say it again, YOU NEVER HAVE TO JUMP!

You have a lot better chance surviving this sport, or at least not looking stupid, if you learn that now.

Sorry for drifting from the thread but I couldn't let that pass.:)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

What sort of accident was that? Surf zone? Boat strike?

That would be easier to explain. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. The filter of the compressor on the dive boat was flooded. No one knew this. And as a result all our mixes had higher levels of CO2 in them. I suffered DCS II resulting in soft tissue damage in my left foot and right shoulder.
To this day I have some problems with my left foot shifting weight on to it. During these days I will not jump but will hang out a the DZ.

That would be easier to explain. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. The filter of the compressor on the dive boat was flooded. No one knew this. And as a result all our mixes had higher levels of CO2 in them. I suffered DCS II resulting in soft tissue damage in my left foot and right shoulder.
To this day I have some problems with my left foot shifting weight on to it. During these days I will not jump but will hang out a the DZ.

Sorry to hear this.

Actually, that explanation makes a lot more sense. It's rare for a diving incident to involve so many people. Compressors are a difficult threat to catch, esp when there are so many claims of 'bad gas' from people with hangovers.

The following is based solely on what I have read here. I am also assuming that since I seem to recall you saying you saw a Dr. that nothing is broken and your injuries are limited to a sprained ligament.

Think of a ligament as a limiting cable. If you stretch it and/or tear some fibers it is a sprain. It is not contractile and will never shorten again without surgery so that is why it is easier to reinjure. You have to keep the stabilizing mucles strong to be the new limiters.

As it heals your body lays down scar tissue in every conceivable direction. (picture patching a hole in a sock) What has to happen during the reformation process is that through use and stretching you break the fibers that are binding the ligament in directions that are not usefull while allowing the scar that is fiber direction to get stronger. The sooner you do this in the "reformation" phase, the less future issues you will have.

My advice is to find a Massage Therapist that specializes in medical massage or pain management or even some sports massage therapists. While discussing this with them you are looking to hear them discuss "Deep Transverse Friction" which is a method of applying direct heavy pressure specific to the scarring ligament and basically roll it side to side until you can no longer feel it. (yes, a competent massage therapist should be able to palpate the scarring in the effected ligament.) This is not a muscle or tendon so the pain threshold isn't as important as it is in most massage where you are interacting with the central nervous system. I only do this work after I numb the area with an ice cup and have had phenomenal results. It is usually accomplished in one or two visits and once the adhesion is dealt with the effects are usually felt, or rather not felt almost immediately.

I do relaxation massage as well but I prefer things like this that make a real difference in quality of life.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."