virgin-burner

what's the deal with packers in the US!?

well, i'm one little jumper from one of the smallest countries in the world and a noob at that. i wont change the system how things are handled here.

i'm being open tough and speak how things are handled over here. and i try not to judge how others are handling things. if someone didnt understand the sarcastic remark, well, thats another story.. :S

at least, i post a question in the open, and ask for others opinions. if that is wrong, the forum looses its base for existence.. :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

...nobody should know my gear better than me!

Couple things I've noticed in the few years ive been jumping:

Most fun jumpers pack for themselves, saves money.

Many staffers pack for themselves, though many turn loads and edit so much that they dont have time so paying packers makes them money.

The few fun jumpers ive met that pay packers have 2+ rigs and make back to backs all day like it's cool. 20-25 jumps in a day with a lunch break, in a few months they double my jump numbers after 3.5 yrs, AWESOME!

I would venture to guess almost every packer knows your gear better than you, knows most gear better than or close to equal as those they pack for. You probably have under 200 pack jobs where they have thousands on many different rigs. They know their sh*t. I'd also guess they know more than the theory beind how to put a 3 ring together, I certainly learned that before I got my A in the US of A.

Where'd you get this impression btw?

Come jump on the west coast, $13 jumps. We'll do something stupid in the sky and you can do some research as well as interview us strange Americans to bring back some data to Europe ;)
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

It seems to me that it makes a lot of sense to let a packer pack if you have the money, as he'll probably do a better job then you as he will have WAY more experience (assuming you don't have thousands of pack jobs yourself) and he'll do it WAY faster.

well, i'm one little jumper from one of the smallest countries in the world and a noob at that. i wont change the system how things are handled here.

i'm being open tough and speak how things are handled over here. and i try not to judge how others are handling things. if someone didnt understand the sarcastic remark, well, thats another story.. :S

at least, i post a question in the open, and ask for others opinions. if that is wrong, the forum looses its base for existence.. :|

It is good to speak up and ask these questions. Now you learned it is a good idea to get a gear\pin check. ;)

is that an invitation!? 13$ is eloy, right?

i might just do that..

and sorry for those that felt offended. reading around here really leaves a funny taste in your mouth sometimes.. even for an enlighted, over-educated european that speaks and understands around five different languages.. :D:D:D

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

>nobody should know my gear better than me!

That's actually one reason to have a second set of eyes look at it. Things that are fine to you (i.e. "I've put hundreds of jumps on this harness; that friction adapter always looks that way") will catch someone's eye because they're not "used to it."

It seems to me that it makes a lot of sense to let a packer pack if you have the money, as he'll probably do a better job then you as he will have WAY more experience (assuming you don't have thousands of pack jobs yourself) and he'll do it WAY faster.

That's the way I see it. lol
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

$13 US in Lodi (northern California), get some tunnel time while you are in the area as well! www.iflysfbay.com. Yes, it is an invite of course! I wanna see a crazy euro dude get hyphy, ha ha ha!

Not offended, just curious where a rumor like that gets started and what the base of it is. Especially with you only having experience at 1 DZ 10,000 miles (i think that translates to like 100,000,000 km right? ha!) from where it takes place.

speaking multiple languages has only gotten me in trouble with the women in other countries... Over rated. Getting kicked in the nuts is universal knowledge. [:/]

So there I was...

Faster, no doubt. Better is subjective. On average, I believe I get harder openings with a packer job. It's hard to quantify though with small data sets.
No mals from either source as well.

It's silly to immediately blame body position though. Packers do have an incentive towards fast - time is money.

i've been jumping at four different dropzones in the radius of about 300 kilometers. that is about 200 miles, maybe a bit less.. ;):P:D

Ha ha, I stand corrected! You DO have a tremendously diverse WOOOOOORLD of skydiving experience!

We're both newbies here my man. Keep askin Q's, only way to get the A's.

Where did you get the impression that no American fun jumpers pack though? Still interested purely out of curiosity. I know we Americans tend to have a certain Int'l rep, didn't realize it crossed into skydiving.
So there I was...

i've been jumping at four different dropzones in the radius of about 300 kilometers. that is about 200 miles, maybe a bit less.. ;):P:D

Ha ha, I stand corrected! You DO have a tremendously diverse WOOOOOORLD of skydiving experience!

We're both newbies here my man. Keep askin Q's, only way to get the A's.

Where did you get the impression that no American fun jumpers pack though? Still interested purely out of curiosity. I know we Americans tend to have a certain Int'l rep, didn't realize it crossed into skydiving.

:D:D:D

i did say MOST, not all sport jumpers wouldnt pack themselves. reading around here gave me that IMPRESSION. and i'm not talking about instructors, i do have a certain understanding that they wont pack themselves if they're at a busy dropzone.

when i checked yesterday in the classifieds/employments, on the first page alone there were six packers looked for. if i remember correctly, that was more than say AFFIs or TIs.. :)
and somehow i'm fed up asking questions that are skydiving-related. just read through this thread to know why.. ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i got a PM saying i should change the sound of my post. there is some irony included, but i figured that people would understand that. forget about the smelling bad comment and the like.. :)
my question still stands tough, why do a lot of jumpers choose to let their rigs pack by someone else?

Because Lyndon Johnson thought it was a good idea at the time.

That's the culture...maybe.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Faster, no doubt. Better is subjective. On average, I believe I get harder openings with a packer job. It's hard to quantify though with small data sets.
No mals from either source as well.

It's silly to immediately blame body position though. Packers do have an incentive towards fast - time is money.

+1

I gotta rush through everyone elses pack jobs so i can get myself ready for the load!

Oh and funky openings are ALWAYS body position:ph34r:
BASE 1384

"i did say MOST, not all sport jumpers..."

C'mon, you know what I'm asking, no need to get nit picky.

If a DZ is doing 2-300 tandems in a weekend with video for at least 3/4 of those and also has a team or two training, they might need more than 1 or 2 packers. ;)

Most turbine dropzones are going to need numerous packers especially if running multiple planes and/or back to backs. Big country (comparatively), 300 million, think BIG

Welcome to the USA.B|B|B|

There is a reason why we burn so much fuel...IT'S FUN!!!

So there I was...