jrcolo

Has skydiving made you safer?

Hmmm ... I don't think so. It made me start driving faster than normal though.

On another note ... more skydiving makes me feel like a more aware/safer skydiver.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

oddly enough, yes. the risk management strategies used for skydiving are applied to other things in my life. Although skydiving has been in my life since I was born, I did not fully appreciate the risk management until well after I became an active jumper.

In terms of making me more aware, more calm, and better prepared to deal with bad shit when it happens outside of skydiving, the answer is a resounding yes.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I was just talking about this very question, and yes it has. As I have taken up more and more dangerous recreational activities, I take less and less risks in everyday situations.

EX: I drive slowly, very slowly. To the point where my mom was in the car with me this past summer, and I wasn't passing someone going slow on a highway with one lane in each direction, but dotted yellow line in the middle and she made the comment "you'll jump out of a plane no questions asked but you wont pass this smelly truck?" My whole family got a laugh out of that one.

Skydiving has made me a LOT more calm and careful in everyday living and especially as a driver...I let the faster drivers just go now 'cause I've gotta get to the dropzone in one piece so I can jump! Better late than not at all! :D
And I ALWAYS wear a sealtbelt...DO YOU? B|

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Yes. I don't do any cliff diving anymore. I might hurt myself and not be able to skydive. My friends think it's pretty funny. Their comments go like this. So you'll dive out of an airplane at 14k but you won't dive off a 50 foot cliff.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Has skydiving affected the way you do different activities?? As far as safeness etc,etc??

I believe it has 100%

I find that i am alot safer than most people i know in any aspect of life, if it be driving, ligting something, crossing the street, anything. I never use to cear about safety but since skydiving i have become a person who likes to make sure i do the things i do with minimum risk for the situation. I look for the way to do it not so much cautious but safety seems to be something that comes first without even thinking about it.

I also find i have a go at my partner when she is reckless in daily activities etc.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Yeap, I always wear 2 condoms now... a main and a reserve

That's the best one yet.

Gotta watch out for that premature deployment.

"I swear...that never happens."

:P
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Yes, definitely.

I was never one to panic anyway in tight situations (DON'T PANIC is one of my mantras).

Awareness has increased tremendously though. I've taken the pretend-everyone-is-out-to-kill-you approach and applied it to many things. It is amazing how many more risks are out there and what you can do to manage them once you start looking carefully. I mean yeah, a lot of them are trivial, but finding and mitigating becomes a fun little game to play when doing otherwise very mundane things.

Observation and objectivity; you must master the two obs. From Darrell Zero, the world's greatest PI.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think the defensiveness taught when learning to skydive and, to a lesser extent, learning to drive sinks in pretty deep with people of a certain demeanor. I've begun to realize that simply staying aware of my environment in day to day life can keep me calm and able to make good decisions rather than just having to react to things. Does that mean I think skydiving has changed me a whole lot? Not really. It just connected some dots.

I think, like many things, it's polarizing. "Inherently safe" people will grow "safer" and "inherently dangerous" people will grow "dangerouser." (quote marks used to indicate my understanding that the meaning of these terms could be a whole other topic of debate.)

I try not to miss any safety meetings that go on. Some times 3 or 4 meetings a day.

This a very selfish statement.:o

(Thank goodnes we have a HazzMat pogram on our drilling rigs)

I'm not sure what tyoe of safety meeting your referring to, but it's' the one i'm thinking sbout, you Guys / Gals should"Rise Above" or have your rigs confiscated, your license pulled. Up & Coming SkyDivers Are watching you. This sporti is dangerous enough withhout addingr recreational drugs anynywhere near the DZ, or where ever SkyDive operations are beng held.

How would you like to call on "The Safety Meeting" when the SO shows up I'd identify veryone i witnessed has tuned into ome sort of "Incident" Don't be ignorant all your life.? I's so not worth it. even care about anyone besies your selves. The fact your riskng Other peoples children / grandchildren what about everything else[ that doesn't EVEN want to be around that shite?i] :)
Pleaase Be Safe!

"Am i my brothers keeprer? YES! I am!

-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I would get out more if I had a sweet John Deere riding lawn mower to go pick up some Bud Lite and some fat chicks. Or are you just mad that your lady left with your dog. YEEEEHAAAAAA

Your ignorance is showing! You know nothing about me or who i am. Is that what makes you feel good?? To make ignorant coments about a group of people you dont know?? I promise that this hick has gotten ALOT more out of life than you ever will!!! Have a good day wonder boy:S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Ignorant? No.
Buzzed and bored on my day off? Yes
You could use a good buzz, maybe you would relax a bit and quit getting all butt hurt over nothing.
Sorry for Hijacking this SAFETY thread. John Deere you can Pm me if you want to talk about Tractors or sheep or whatever else floats your boat.
Peace out HICKS.