recondaddy

Dyeing My Container

I bought a Vector II container, but I don't like the color pattern on the center panel. UUPT said that they would replace the center panel with whatever I want, but since Vector II's are discontinued, it would cost me $175 and about 6 weeks of turnaround time.

Does anyone know of some process or dye that I can use to simply color the center panel black, like the rest of my container?

Thanks.

As stated above, some people have mistakenly downed their rigs for good because of trying to color their containers. Your best bet is to spend the money and get it done properly.

As we all know, and contrary to popular belief, we just want to look cool.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Well, I'm glad the riggers chimed in. Guess it's not a good idea. Yes, I did a mil surplus rig years ago. Probably not airworthy now, but I doubt if it is still in service.

Question. All these rigs with tie dye panels, how can they be legal, if the dyeing process is so damaging to the material? Wouldn't that violate the TSO?

Essentially the manufacturers are saying that what ever process is used they sign off on for the tie dyeing. You could potentially get the directions for a master rigger to complete to dye the color of your rig but this is going in to master rigger area since it is an alteration of the container and the correct paper work is needed to complete it. Its just easier and cheaper to get replacement panels or just to leave it as it is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I saw the video, (or it may have been film back then), from which that still was grabbed.
Trivia question: To what is that pud attached?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It was hooked directly to the nose of the square main parachute Nick was jumping at the time.

OK, I just need to know: How the heck does someone with one jump know trivia like that???:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi JM,
Using a "Magic Marker" to color a rig is a "bad idea!!" Magic markers have an "acid based ink" and guess what the acid will do to nylon!! Dig it, people get a "Magic Marker" and write their name and other info on the bridle of their free bag.. bad news. Just because you jerk the bridle a couple of times and say,"It's good" wait till you look up at your separated pilot chute and wonder why you are accelerating dirtward from it at 120 mph!!!! You just bought a new freebag if you don"t buy a new crater first!! Besides that, a friend of mine tried coloring the magenta cordura tootsie rolls on his frap hat with a black Magic Marker. It worked but the black rubbed off on everything it touched..."And Stink!... Man did it Stink!!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Dig it, people get a "Magic Marker" and write their name and other info on the bridle of their free bag.. bad news. Just because you jerk the bridle a couple of times and say,"It's good" wait till you look up at your separated pilot chute and wonder why you are accelerating dirtward from it at 120 mph!!!! You just bought a new freebag if you don"t buy a new crater first!!

I respect that you are a rigger and I am not. However, if you want me to believe that writing on my freebag bridle tape with a magic marker is going to degrade its tensile strength enough to fail under normal use, well, I find that hard to believe. I'd like to put that one to the test, see what percentage of degradation you would get.

Hi JM,
What part of "Acid" do you not understand? The acid base in Magic markers will etch metal so it will eat nylon. The degradation won't be instantaneous but it will happen and it will be your luck that it's on your deployment!! There are several "water based" markers that are acceptable but if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty then consult MIL-I-6903 spec for parachute marking fluid. 6903 is for a "vegitable base" fluid, there's also a another spec for a synthetic but I 'd have to look it up. Call the Engineer at your rig mfgr's shop and tell him/her you want to write your name on your freebag bridle "with a Magic Marker" and hear what they say!! Bottom line is it's your "plan B" so give yourself every hedge that you'll walk away!! If you really want to put your info on the free bag, put the info on a separate piece of tape and loop or tack it to the attachment loop of your Reserve P/C.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out