TerminatorSRT4

Anyone else like hop n pops?

So I've only done one so far (yeah yeah, point and laugh), but I must say that next to my first jump (tandem) this was my favorite jump. It was done from 3,500 for my A license (have everything done to get my A, just need to do a check dive).

Everything about it; opening low (for me at least :P), a slower sub terminal opening, the way your body is almost going feet first through the air since your canopy is pulling you back from opening while moving forward, I just loved it.

So am I just being weird, or does anyone else enjoy doing hop n pops?

Edit: One of the reasons I ask is because it doesn't seem like many people at my DZ like doing them.

I personally am not a huge fan, esspecially the lower ones. I like having a good altitude buffer to play with in case the shit hits the proverbial fan, plus I really enjoy the freefall portion. Moreover, sub-terminal openings can be unpredictable as Ive had line twist twice after a hop & pop. They're cheap & quick though...a good way to build jump numbers.

A true hop'n'pop - one which involves sub-terminal - is a thing of beauty. A lot of people put a premium only on freefall and cannot see themselves "wasting" money on anything else. So let them. The lowest one I've ever done was from 1,500' with a bungee pilot chute. Scared the bejesus right out of me so damn much I begged to be allowed to do it again. Got denied. Due to weather, honest. But the ones I like most are the ones done from full altitude on the sunset load on the first day of summer. Either cross-country or just local. When I'm up there like that I just know there are whuffos who would be extremely jealous just to have this view.

And as another poster said, knowing how to do one, not being intimidated by doing on low - say 2,500'-3,500' - is damn good advice in case of emergency. This is a sport in which it helps to know rather than suspect or guess. Doing a hop'n'pop from a lower altitude gives you the skill, knowledge and courage to go when you have to rather than be shitting your britches in fear. when/if the need arises.

Aside from that, at my DZ there's no cost difference between a hop'n'pop & full altitude freefall. So the incentive to go to only 3 or 4 grand is non-existent. It is actively discouraged.

No one listens when no one speaks. What's on your mind?

Well said!

I love hop and pops. Low ones are cool as like Kim says, its good to be cool about getting out low, not panicking and deploying sharpisjh. In case of an in flight emergency.

But the views from a high hop and pop on a good weather days susnet load, are in my opinion unbeatable!

There is something very appealing about doing a hop n pop on a load full of altitude goers. Instead of being one of the crowd you alost feel like the ride is especially for you.

Gainer out the door and toss the PC or simply clear and pull as you watch the plane fly away with a familiar head looking out the door at ya before it retracts and goes on its way. Ahh bliss.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I'm more interested in improving my freefall skills, so they aren't my first choice for a jump.

BUT. if there are low clouds, or there is a slot left on a load of static lines, or any other reason I can't get to full altitude-It's still a jump. Exit, opening, canopy flight, landing. It's still good. It's still fun.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I love 'em!

The ONLY thing missing is freefall - I'd say it's got the same adrenaline effects, and you get plenty of excitement from seeing the ground so clearly.

Also difficult do argue with buttery-soft openings while watching the plane fly away - and you can actually hear your slider come down.
T.I.N.S.

I like having a good altitude buffer to play with in case the shit hits the proverbial fan, plus I really enjoy the freefall portion. Moreover, sub-terminal openings can be unpredictable as Ive had line twist twice after a hop & pop.

I used to think that too. Suppose you get out at 3500 it will still take about 12s to get to 2000. If you pitch at 4250 at terminal 12s later you're somewhere around the same altitude. I never had a problem getting out at 3k because that's where I started. I understand how AFF students may feel.

If you're getting linetwist from H+P then it's probably something you're doing or not doing.

I love to do H+P's. Full altitude and low. Enjoy the scenery and the feeling of flying a canopy.

-Michael

Hop 'n' Pops, in my opinion are great. I think we should do at least 1 every 6 months or so just so that if a real aircraft emergency does occur, it wouldn't be as daunting and scary.
I love hop n pops, especially on my canopy which opens slow anyway...it's like falling into a pile of feathers...well sort off B|

If in doubt, whip it out...

Hop n Pops are my favourite, I go on every single one offered at the DZ, probably 1 in every 4 jumps is a hop n pop for me, C182 DZ.

Quick ride to altitude, do a funky exit @ 3.5ft and dump with a short delay (usually 3s), get a full canopy flight.

Sub-terminal openings on my Sabre2 are a bit crazy.

Yeah, you can do a lot of funky exits from a Cessna, good fun. If there is only one slot on a Cessna load, I often do a H&P. Take it to terminal or pull as soon as you are stable, and have the sky to yourself.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Hop n pops have always been fun. It used to be that just exiting from an airplane and opening your parachute was about the simplest, newbie thing you could do in skydiving.

But now you can look all fearless and badass just by doing that!

You can nonchalantly step out of a Cessna at two thousand or twenty-five hundred while others are whimpering about the low altitude, their snivelly canopies, or how they really want 4000' so they can deal with their removable deployment systems...

(I'd never have gotten a reputation for "taking it low" if I had been skydiving in the 70s. Too much serious competition in that field back then. Now all you gotta do is pull at a legal altitude.)

i never knew you could get out that low, the lowest hop n pop i have done is 4k. maybe the rules are different here in the uk.

You probably shouldn't get out below your minimum opening altitude, unless it's an emergency. On my lowest exit I went last out of the 182, jump run started at 2,300, it was a pretty short ride, and a bad idea. I wouldn't do that with my current canopies.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.