Euroman

Commercial airlines can you carry on your rig

This has probably been dealt with before but I can't find it.

On commercial flights I have always put my rig with checked baggage. Has anyone had a problem with taking it as carry on? I'm on a tight schedule and don;t want it lost or have to wait for baggage claim.

Yes, it has been dealt with before.

Of course people have had problems carrying it on. Put it in a bag, don't call attention to it yourself, make sure you have the TSA, USPA and CYPRES documents with you, and you may still be required to check it.

Oh, "Your search for rig carry on returned 1695 results in 0.808s."
Johan.
I am. I think.

I have carried it on many of times... I just throw it over my shoulders. I do have my cypress card and I print out the TSA paragraph say that you can carry on parachuttes...

fyi... when Im getting on the plane, I always have a few ppl ask me if thats a parachutte?? I always reply... ya, the airlines didnt give you one...
Is it saturday yet?

fyi... when Im getting on the plane, I always have a few ppl ask me if thats a parachutte?? I always reply... ya, the airlines didnt give you one...

That is asking for problems and undue attention. One of these days you are going to get it.

I have carried it on many of times... I just throw it over my shoulders. I do have my cypress card and I print out the TSA paragraph say that you can carry on parachuttes...

The final decision rests with the TSA officers at the security checkpoint. If they see something they don't like or decide they need to see inside the container, it won't matter what you're carrying with you. They won't accept documents you're carrying with yourself. There would be nothing stopping someone trying to smuggle a weapon or bomb onto a plane to get an x-ray image of it, print up a fancy looking card saying that it's a parachute or a dildo or anything else. It may be that the majority of times you will go through with little or no problems, however, one day you may have a problem and on that day, you'll wish your rig was in a bag when they make you check it.

To the OP, if you have a hook knife on your rig, don't forget to remove it.

The final decision rests with the TSA officers at the security checkpoint. If they see something they don't like or decide they need to see inside the container, it won't matter what you're carrying with you. They won't accept documents you're carrying with yourself. There would be nothing stopping someone trying to smuggle a weapon or bomb onto a plane to get an x-ray image of it, print up a fancy looking card saying that it's a parachute or a dildo or anything else. It may be that the majority of times you will go through with little or no problems, however, one day you may have a problem and on that day, you'll wish your rig was in a bag when they make you check it.

Not only did I travel with my hook knife in my carry on because I wasnt checking any bags (25 dollar check bag fee!?:o) I had a fairly large pocket knife get though the xray some how.

I even told them it was in there because I couldnt find it before i got up to the xray. Found it in my bag when I got back to Ohio (2 cross country flights).

Feel safe people!
BASE 1384

Not only did I travel with my hook knife in my carry on because I wasnt checking any bags (25 dollar check bag fee!?Shocked) I had a fairly large pocket knife get though the xray some how.

I even told them it was in there because I couldnt find it before i got up to the xray. Found it in my bag when I got back to Ohio (2 cross country flights).

Feel safe people!

This is another one of those things that may work out just fine for you sometimes and may cause you a problem at others. I recently flew from Buffalo to LAX on my way to Perris. I took my rig as carry on without a bag. I went through security in Buffalo without too much trouble. They did x-ray it twice, swabbed it for explosives and used it as a training experience for several of the officers on duty, but other than that it was no different to any other time I've travelled without the rig. My rig had at the time, and still has a hook knife on the leg strap which nobody asked about.

On my way back through LAX, they told me I had to either open the container so they could see what was inside, or I had to check it. At the time, it never occurred to me that there was a hook knife on the leg strap. I hardly ever think of it there because I rarely have need to use it. In hindsight, I'm thinking that is probably what concerned them on the x-ray, but I didn't think of it at the time, they wouldn't show me the x-ray so I might identify the object and their description of what they were looking for did not make it obvious what they were concerned about. In the end I was left with no choice but to go back and check the rig.

So, two different checkpoints with two different results. Like I said, you *should* be fine taking it as carry on and you may even get through with your hook knife on the rig, but it pays to be prepared in case things don't go as you planned at security.

This has me worried as I'm traveling through LAX on the way to Germany this weekend.

I've had nothing but bad luck at LAX at their security checkpoint.:|

I guess all I can do is have the TSA website, USPA letter, and cypres card on me to present if needed. I really don't want to check my rig in on an international flight.

"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

This has me worried as I'm traveling through LAX on the way to Germany this weekend.

I guess all I can do is have the TSA website, USPA letter, and cypres card on me to present if needed. I really don't want to check my rig in on an international flight.

I just came back through LAX with no problem. They did run the rig twice through the machine and use it as an opportunity to train some of the people but no problems.

Have Rig will travel ...

if your traveling on American see Sabre record N*prohbitive items on line N*79 parachutes are allowed as long as they don't have a CO cylinder of compressed gas... never heard of a rig with CO cylinder of compressed gas..

funny on over water flights theres a CO cylinder of compressed gas.. under every seat. your life vest....

I just came back through LAX with no problem. They did run the rig twice through the machine and use it as an opportunity to train some of the people but no problems.

Sweet, thanks for the info.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

I'm not saying you will have a problem. All I'm saying is, be prepared. Plenty of people have taken rigs as carry on through LAX. Just because one person on one particular occasion had a problem doesn't mean that you will.

I've travelled with my rig as both carry on and in/as checked baggage and it's always gotten to the other end just fine and I do travel a fair amount, both domestically, across the US border and internationally including multiple trips to Europe and Australia. The only time I was ever worried was when I was forced to check my rig about a month ago and I did not have a bag in which to check it at that point - my main bag had already been checked in.

That, and more importantly, if there's a hook knife on your rig, take it off and put it into your checked baggage before you travel.