jclalor

USPA insignia

Why is it all you new kids show up on the scene and go trying to reinvent the wheel and dismantle all the time honored traditions in order to make things as you see it? Now days we have people trying to dodge the art of pie'n, the beer rules and bottles for their riggers, instead of joining in the long held traditions.

What is wrong with the "wings" clearly you have not earned your pair of sliver or gold wings because if you did then you might have some pride in them. I don't think we need a new logo of yet another swooping canopy or silhouette of a head down body or some other image "more reflective of the sport" I think a parachute albeit a round one with wings pretty well sums it up!

Oh & FYI, the current wings have had a face lift a few years (5) ago, before you arrived.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You can look at it as 'time honored traditions" but can also be called "old guys who are resistent to change". (I get to say this because I'm an 'old guy', USPA member for 34 years).

I've often wondered why we don't change our name to USSA: United States Skydiving Association. I'm a skydiver, not a parachutist. I'd also be open to a more modern looking insignia.

No disrespect to our founders. But its nice to keep up with the times.

Just my "old guy" $ 0.02

(Now that I've hung my ass out in the wind, I'll put on my flame retardant suit)
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

I think we ought to have a great deal of pride in how far our sport has come, and the wings certainly reflect that pathway. It is only by recognizing the history we share with those who came before us, that we can build a new future for those who will follow.

I embrace the wings and the men (and just a few brave and enterprising women) who blazed trails and built the sport, and then handed it off to my generation in the 1970's and 1980's. Let's not make major changes to the logo that has served us so well. Little tweaks are fine, but we should keep the basic design that connects us to the past, and see that as a springboard to the future.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Was just wondering if the subject of replacing the USPA insignia with something a little more reflective of the sport has ever come up.

How about this...

No matter how you change the design, someone will post on some forum somewhere, bitching-n-moaning about how the new insignia doesn't reflect their interests and concerns. What would you replace it with that’d work for everyone?? Answer that, and I'm all for changing it...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

>United States Skydiving Association.

Well, then you'd need a United States Canopy Relative Work Association and a United States Hop and Pop Association! Parachuting is the one thing we all have to do at the end of the skydive. It's what distinguishes us from wind tunnel flyers.

Well, then you'd need a United States Canopy Relative Work Association and a United States Hop and Pop Association! Parachuting is the one thing we all have to do at the end of the skydive. It's what distinguishes us from wind tunnel flyers.

Until someone lands their wingsuit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi Bill,

Back about '67 or so, Lyle Cameron ( the editor & publisher of SKYDIVER magazine ) offered the following definitions:

A parachutist is someone where the most important part of the jump is after the canopy opens.

A skydiver is someone where the most important part of the jump is before the canopy opens.

OK you new guys, what do you say? :P

JerryBaumchen

A parachutist is someone where the most important part of the jump is after the canopy opens.
A skydiver is someone where the most important part of the jump is before the canopy opens.

Sure! This community is big enough that we can afford to divide ourselves up into little cliques, and then proceed to fight amongst each other, and branch off and do our own things - even create our own little organizations. There's no reason that belly-flyers should have to associate with CReW dogs, and especially those freaky head-down guys. In fact, I'm going to start the United States Belly-Flying Association (USBFA), and anyone who does anything different ain't welcome!

Yes, I'm kidding! I'm trying to make a point in a sarcastic manner.

>A parachutist is someone where the most important part of the jump is after the canopy opens.
>A skydiver is someone where the most important part of the jump is before the canopy opens.

So what you're saying is that most jumpers are skydivers - until they have a total mal? (j/k)

I sure did not mean to try and insult anyone and I apologize if I did.

I'm not, was just wondering why it seem the noobies always want to change everything that has been part of the sport for years and is known the world over.

While yes the logo dose have a look of the airborne wings, it's not the same, but most of the guys who started this "New Sport" came from that world, but not all.

Some change is good, some stuff need to stay the same, it's where we came from and it's our mark.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'm starting the American Skydiver's Society.

Our logo will be a really cool head down dollar sign in a hybrid with a Visa Card.

Or maybe the American Skydiver's Society Hopping Over Land Every Second for our really cool members.

Or the American Skydiver's Society With Interesting Parachutes Exhibited Skyward.

I just can't decide. Do any of you know how to post a poll thingy here? Let's all vote!

I think we ought to have a great deal of pride in how far our sport has come, and the wings certainly reflect that pathway. It is only by recognizing the history we share with those who came before us, that we can build a new future for those who will follow.

I embrace the wings and the men (and just a few brave and enterprising women) who blazed trails and built the sport, and then handed it off to my generation in the 1970's and 1980's. Let's not make major changes to the logo that has served us so well. Little tweaks are fine, but we should keep the basic design that connects us to the past, and see that as a springboard to the future.

Well-said, Tom.

It also makes sense to point out that in an age of divergent disciplines and constantly-changing foci, perhaps the one thing we all have in common these days is skydiving history.
Signatures are the new black.

RW and H&P's aren't skydiving? :P

I have to say, I like the sound of United States Skydiving Association better myself.

the one thing we all have in common these days is skydiving history.

Well, if that's the case, then the one thing BASE jumpers have in common is lemmings. :P

In case it is the march over the cliff to death thing you are referring to:

"The myth of lemming mass suicide is long-standing and has been popularized by a number of factors. In 1955, Carl Barks drew an Uncle Scrooge adventure comic with the title "The Lemming with the Locket". This comic, which was inspired by a 1954 National Geographic Society article, showed massive numbers of lemmings jumping over Norwegian cliffs.[9] Even more influential was the 1958 Disney film White Wilderness, which won an Academy Award for Documentary Feature, in which footage was shown that seems to show the mass suicide of lemmings.[10] A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but in fact were launched off the cliff using a turntable."

Or maybe you want to launch skydivers off a cliff using some sort of rapid fire base jumper chucker?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I was not trying to ruffle any feathers but I just placed the decal on my car and have had two people ask me if I use to jump in the army. I sure did not mean to try and insult anyone and I apologize if I did.

Hi jc,
Yup, you got it!! I get the same question and I say,"No, I was a Navy Parachute Rigger!!" The average whuff has no clue about skydiving, at least the "state of the art!!" We may as well be "Space Aliens" with our micro hi-speed canopies and turf-surfing tip-toe landings, "What no combat boots and klobber in clouds of dust!!!!??" As for the "Wings" I think they're classic and remind us of the the dream of manned flight. All the esoteric disciplines are cool but it's good to have a "common bond!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out