swoopfly

Im such a dumbass!

hey all

i figured i would post this sitting here pissed off right now at what a dumbass i am. I did a jump last week, landed safely and a friend was giving me a ride back on the back of a trailer. he stopped to get some other jumpers on and i set my canopy at my feet. well when he took back off my canopy shot right between my legs and under the trailer. Lines tore and shredded, canopys seems to still be good with one small rip in the top of it. This shit really sucks, I just got this caonpy and now i have to buy a whole new lineset and patch it up. What i think sucks worse than that is it has put me out of skydiving for 2-3 weeks. Just thought i would share it wasent really my fault but then again it was because i watched it happen. I was also wondering if anyojne else can share any similar storys so maybe i wont feel so bad. I guess i can just make the best of this expensive lesson and not let it ever happen again, and atleast i get a new lineset lol

> What i think sucks worse than that is it has put me out of skydiving
>for 2-3 weeks.

Eh, it doesn't suck that much. What would have really sucked is if you had followed it under the trailer. (You are, after all, attached to it.)

>Just thought i would share it wasent really my fault . . .

Well, it sorta was; you have to keep control of your canopy in any vehicle. Getting your canopy damaged is the least of the things that can happen.

this might make you feel better..my first canopy (Sabre 170) I bought used. The original owner apparently left it out before he ever jumped it and his dog got into in a tore it up, so it sucked for him before he even jumped it he had to send it back to PD to get all patched up...at least you got to jump yours first

I like to keep a thin nylon bag in my jumpsuit leg pocket so when I land off, I can daisy chain my lines and stuff the canopy with the lines in the bag. It only takes a few minutes. That way, when a neighbor or someone from the DZ gives me a ride back, I don’t have to worry about catching my stuff on things and damaging my gear.

I like to keep a thin nylon bag in my jumpsuit leg pocket so when I land off, I can daisy chain my lines and stuff the canopy with the lines in the bag. It only takes a few minutes. That way, when a neighbor or someone from the DZ gives me a ride back, I don’t have to worry about catching my stuff on things and damaging my gear.

I keep a pull up cord in my jumpsuit for the same reason...like ya said, it just takes a few minutes and walking in with packed gear is so much easier.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

yeah and when you walk back up on the dz you can say now WHAT? do you do if neither one opens?:P:P i've done it it's good giggles

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

it wasent really my fault

??? Your canopy under your control = your fault.

That's an expensive way to learn a basic lesson - don't put your gear down until you're back in the packing area...

Wow...you are a bitch.

Sucks man. Could have happened to anyone.

Jim,

You assuming they realize they don't have to pack on a carpet, or for that matter that they even OWN a pull up cord and have a clue how to pack.;) Not such a good assumption these days. :S

You don't need a pull up cord if you have a shoelace. ;) I landed off this past weekend and was packed and walking back before my ride got to me ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I hate to say it but I laughed when I heard your story. I know it's not funny when shit like that happens, but I just had this mental image. Seriously though, that sucks!

I landed in a field this weekend and was gathering up my canopy when it started catching on the ground. I flopped it in the air and continued to gather it up. It wasn't until afterwards that I saw .... little cacti on the ground. I had no idea there were cactus in North Carolina, WTF?! I was very fortunate it didn't tear my canopy.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

little cacti on the ground. I had no idea there were cactus in North Carolina, WTF?!

Are you talking about sand spurs? Tiny little burrs that stick to your clothing, and grow on weeds in clumps?

In Florida it was so time-consuming trying to pick 'em all out, that we would just pack 'em up in the canopy, and let the next opening shock blow them off.

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%20columns/Sandspur.htm

I hate to say it but I laughed when I heard your story. I know it's not funny when shit like that happens, but I just had this mental image. Seriously though, that sucks!

I landed in a field this weekend and was gathering up my canopy when it started catching on the ground. I flopped it in the air and continued to gather it up. It wasn't until afterwards that I saw .... little cacti on the ground. I had no idea there were cactus in North Carolina, WTF?! I was very fortunate it didn't tear my canopy.

Thats cool, i was actually hoping to give some people some laughs outta my story, figured its the only good that can come from it at this point,