mellow

my nightmare level 4 jump

wow...i just got back from my 3 1/2 day stay down at the dz in hollister- did 5 aff jumps. had to repeat level 2 because i had a hard time finding the right way to arch, but finally got it and had a great level 2 and 3 on saturday. even though i felt good about the jumps, they were difficult, and i had not yet come to the place of actually enjoying them. they were stressful. i was feeling so good to have gotten this far, however, and was so ready and so excited to move on to level 4. i had been with the same 2 instructors up to this point, level 4 was going to be with a different instructor.

the main instructor i had been working with for levels 1-3 told me that for level 4, he just wanted me to have what he called a "zen dive." he wanted me to really just relax into that stable arch that i had worked so hard on, and really get it firm in my mind and my muscles. i was so excited to not have to do any "tasks" for this jump. i just wanted to try to relax and actually see if i could find some enjoyment in this jump.

i spent about 20 min on the ground with my level 4 guy, and then we were off. everything started out great. good exit at 15k, got stable within a few seconds. then, i immediately began to slowly turn a little, and the next thing i knew, he had released me and that slow turn started to gain speed...quickly. i saw him in front of me for a split second, and thought, "ok...uhh, i need to stop turning..." (later, under canopy, i realized that all i needed to do, was to counter the turn by turning the other way. but at the time, i had no quick reflexes.) i wasn't sure what to do, and the spin rapidly went violent. the horizon blurred into nothingness. i checked my altitude and thought....."ok. 10k. i want to try and fix this. hmmm. i don't know how. i know, i'll arch! ok. that didn't work. omg, now i'm spinning even faster....and my head is pointing DOWN...oh, this isn't good. i feel like i'm going even faster....arch! good, i'm back to spinning level again. what's the altimeter say? ......ok...about 8k...that's good..... omg, i flipped onto my back! crap! this is definitely not good....wait, he said something about correcting that with bringing an arm in and rolling.....oh good....it worked! i'm spinning on my belly again. this is crazy!! how can i fix this???? what's the altitude? 6.5k. ok, you know what???....i'm done. i'm back on my belly, i'm out of altitude, i'm out of ideas, and i don't know what kind of a mess i'm going to have when this parachute deploys because i'm still spinning like crazy, but.... i'm outta here!"

i waved off and threw out that pilot chute. and then i spun upward as the canopy opened. i looked up, and OMG...a perfect canopy! holy crap i couldn't believe believe it! what a relief! i just hung there for a minute and paused, took a deep breath. thank god i'm not spinning anymore! i got going, and landed softly right next to my target. and then i sat down and thought, "this is too hard. i quit. i am not cut out for this, i am not good at this, and why am i putting myself thought this stressful, hellish experience???"

i got up, gathered the rig, threw it over my shoulder and headed back. then, after about 2 minutes, i thought, "you know what? if i could have stopped that turn right when it was starting, this wouldn't have happened. it's just a turning issue i need to figure out. let me go up there again and try this another time..."

well, i never did make another jump that day, which was yesterday. it turned out to be my last jump of the weekend. i spent some time talking with my instructor, who himself was quite freaked. he hadn't been able to catch up with me and thought i had gone unconscious.

soon, i noticed myself starting to get really bummed out. i was starting to feel nauseous from all of the spinning, my right eye had a HUGE blood clot, and i was so disappointed to be leaving the next morning on such a crappy note. after a few hours, i started telling my son (who jumps and works at the dz) what had happened, and all of a sudden i started to cry and shake a little. i realized then just how freakishy scary that whole experience was.

so, finally, at the end of the day yesterday, after having spoke to a few other experienced jumpers, i started to feel better. they helped me to realize that my mental composure and altitude awareness was something i should feel really good about. and i started to realize that having gone through that, all by myself with nobody to rescue me, and having the ability to maintain a really calm, clear mental state while violently spinning......this was something positive. i started to feel better about the whole thing. i thought, "well if i could think clearly in that situation, i'm not afraid of malfuctions or emergencies anymore.....i know i'll be able to keep my mind in tact and think clearly.

so now, here i am the next day, still pretty gun shy to get back up there, but feeling that overall, it was a really positive experience. it taught me that i really can take care of myself up there. i just need a few more tools in my tool bag of skill to use....
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

it taught me that i really can take care of myself up there. i just need a few more tools in my tool bag of skill to use....

Good attitude.

If you spend some time thinking about what might go wrong on a jump, and thinking through and visualizing what you'll do to counter it, that's a form of developing the tools. So instead of having to think about countering the spin, you've already thought about it, and can do it.

It's a great reason to limit the number of new things on a single dive; that gives you more of an opportunity to use the rehearsing and thought that you've done.

Good job!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You mentioned that you talked with your instructor after the jump but you didn't say anything about the debrief. What did he have to say about your jump? When I have a student who spins I retrain him on turns (and counter turns). Don't get discouraged (dis-courage--lose courage) Spins are VERY common at this level, although violent ones are rarer.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Did you walk to the hangar? If yes, it was a good jump.

Many, many of us have had troubles in the beginning. It is very common. Keep plugging away. One of our DZs instructors holds the record for the most re-dos of one of the AFF levels as a student. He went to the tunnel and problem SOLVED.

My 13th jump was very difficult and scary too. I worked hard on fixing it (my coach was as patient as a saint... Thank you, Jenny). I do OK now. Don't let one jump get you down. What other activity did you have all figured out after 4 minutes?
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You mentioned that you talked with your instructor after the jump but you didn't say anything about the debrief.

he told me very frankly that he was embarassed and felt really bad that he had had no influence whatsoever on the dive. he said that his mistake was to fully release me while i was starting to slightly turn. he said that as i gained speed, i planed out and floated higher and he was struggling with all he had to try to get to me. he was concerned that i had gone unconscious. he finally succeeded in slowing down his fall rate, and then noticed me just below him, spinning like crazy. he dove down to me, but just as he was about to reach me, i deployed.

he told me that as i waved off and reached for the pilot chute, the change in my body position started to slow the spin. he apologized to me for not being able to get to me, telling me that he knew it was his job to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but he just wasn't able to regain control of the situation.

he talked about my landing, which was a good pattern and soft touch down. he noticed me struggling with the canopy catching wind as i was trying to pick it up, and told me what to do. he also commented on my mental composure and recollection of the dive.

and then he wanted to do some drills on the creeper with me to show me how to do corrective turns, but i was so nauseated and mentally wacked out that i just wanted no part of it. so i politely declined any more instruction.

he's a nice guy, and i thanked him for jumping with me, and we hugged and left on really great terms. i don't think i'll be able to do any more aff jumps with him though. that was really intense for both of us.
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

Yeah, reminds me of my first level 4.

I spun up so fast, according to the JM, I created lift like a propeller and he had a hell of a time getting big enough to get back level with me before I pulled.

Ya know what the problem was? RELAXING and leg awareness.

I never REALLY relaxed untill I was off AFF, my first solo jump. I just got out there and was the most relaxing thing, perfectly stable, and I thought 'Wow... I guess when you're relaxed, it is much easier!'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Wow... you caught right on up to me - heh! Your level 4 (my Cat C2) are just messing us both up, course you won't have to repeat as many times as me I'm sure. ;) I'm so glad you got as far as you did this past weekend AND learned that you really can do this! I've not had the same spinning issue, but I certainly have some sort of mental block standing in my way that I hope 30 minutes of tunnel time will sort out. Do you know when you will be going back? Anyway, congrats again!

~J

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

I spun up so fast, according to the JM, I created lift like a propeller.

It's amazing to watch that happen.:S

I developed flat spin problems on my 15 second freefalls during S/L progression. I was trained to do a "frog" (think old school boxman) positon by arching on the packing table, every muscle straining to hold that position. Is it any wonder I spun like a prop?:S They kept saying "relax" and I said "I am relaxed." Finally, on a sunset load, I went out, hit my tight frog, spun up, and then told myself "screw it", closed my eyes and went limp. When I opened my eyes, I was falling straight down, on heading. That was when I decided to be an instructor someday.:D

It usually is in the legs.

I never REALLY relaxed untill I was off AFF, my first solo jump. I just got out there and was the most relaxing thing, perfectly stable, and I thought 'Wow... I guess when you're relaxed, it is much easier!'

My first solo did it for me; it seems like any anxiety or worries I may have had went away as soon as I left the door. It was great B|

Stick with it; I was a spinner. After a few solid debriefs and 30 minutes of toe-tapping and torsoe twist on the ground, I was all set.

thanks everyone- and thanks to all of you previous spinners. i know i'm not alone with the spinning issue, and it helps to hear that you've overcome it and what helped you do it.

it's probably because i'm really tired right now, but i'm really nervous to get back up there again. :|:| i know i have to though, and i will.

Jennifer

Repeating what others have said... I am impressed that you maintained your presence of mind while things were going wrong; and continued to think and analyze. That is a skill that will come in handy if you ever have a malfunction. Good job.
... Marion

I had to do level 4 three times as I kept spinning. I was told to relax. Relax? Falling at 120mph? With only 3 minutes previous experience?????:(

Echoing what other people said...

You were altitude aware, you know what happened and you are still walking. Jump can't have been too bad!

I am my inner child. It's my outer adult I have trouble connecting with.

yeah you were spinning the whole time but you did the most important thing:

Altitude awareness -> deployment

There have been students in the same situation who chose NOT to deploy because they were spinning uncontrollably. Well, we know those jumps didn't end as well as yours did. Showing that you have altitude awareness and you chose to deploy on time says A LOT. Wind tunnel training, relaxing, and working with your instructor will help.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I spun up so fast, according to the JM, I created lift like a propeller.

It's amazing to watch that happen.:S

I developed flat spin problems on my 15 second freefalls during S/L progression. I was trained to do a "frog" (think old school boxman) positon by arching on the packing table, every muscle straining to hold that position. Is it any wonder I spun like a prop?:S They kept saying "relax" and I said "I am relaxed." Finally, on a sunset load, I went out, hit my tight frog, spun up, and then told myself "screw it", closed my eyes and went limp. When I opened my eyes, I was falling straight down, on heading. That was when I decided to be an instructor someday.:D

It usually is in the legs.

I had the same problem. Started in my 15 second delays and didn't stop for the next 15 jumps. After that one instructor made my 15 second delay a 30 second delay and i fell fine till right about pull time, which is where i started to turn like crazy again.

Think I had some subconcious mental block about having enough time to complete the dive flow by pull time, which is when i tensed up and dropped a leg or something. Turns out (pun intended) learning how to turn with both my legs and arms at the same time solved the problem completely. Ended up spending a ton of time on my bed at home getting the movements worked into muscle memory. I could turn like a pro! Lol. Interesting how all of that works!

Here is the plus, whatever your block is in your progression is what you'll be really great at teaching later. So, yahoo for that :)
I'm like a chocolate covered pretzel...I might be kind of melty but dang, I'm exquisite!

I had the same thing happen during my AFF, I had one instructor but was spinning so fast there wasn't much he could do. After about 10 seconds of the situation not improving I said F*ck it and pulled around 8k.

Nothing wrong with pulling high if you're not having any fun and things are not improving.

BTW, my problem turned out to be that I just needed to relax.

you know what? i just have to figure out how to relax while i'm blasting down at 120mph. it feels like i'm laying on this slick, slippery column of air, and i have to concentrate with everything i've got to keep my balance. i know i need to relax more, which i think i am as much as i can....but it's hard.

i'll get it though. i'm 2 days away from that jump now, and feel ready to get back up there. hopefully i'll be able to jump this weekend. that's my plan.
Jennifer

I had the opposite problem as yours. I did some tunnel time, so my freefall skills were fine. But I was so tense after having jumped from a plane that my mind was racing and I couldn't think clearly. I was having a hard time remembering the dive flow. Like you though, I knew I just needed to relax.

What helped me TREMENDOUSLY was simply taking some slow deep breaths during freefall. I had already been doing it before exiting, and it helps me get past my door fear, but I would forget about my breathing during freefall. My instructor even had a hand signal to remind me to breath, and once I did... WOW, what a difference! I was finally able to actually have fun while in freefall.

If you're not already thinking about your breathing, give it a try. It sure helped me. Ask your instructor to remind you if necessary.

I hope your next jump ends with a BIG smile! :)

What helped me TREMENDOUSLY was simply taking some slow deep breaths during freefall. I had already been doing it before exiting, and it helps me get past my door fear, but I would forget about my breathing during freefall. My instructor even had a hand signal to remind me to breath, and once I did... WOW, what a difference! I was finally able to actually have fun while in freefall.

I personally think that is the key! Everbody tells you to relax, but you cant relax if your not breathing. During AFF this was my problem. I would freak out and hold my breath:S.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

you know what? i just have to figure out how to relax while i'm blasting down at 120mph. it feels like i'm laying on this slick, slippery column of air, and i have to concentrate with everything i've got to keep my balance. i know i need to relax more, which i think i am as much as i can....but it's hard.

i'll get it though. i'm 2 days away from that jump now, and feel ready to get back up there. hopefully i'll be able to jump this weekend. that's my plan.

hey jennifer

It sounds like you did really well! to maintain composure and PULL for yourself says a huge amount, as others have said.
Is there a wind tunnel anywhere near you? If so you would greatly benefit from even 10 or 15 minutes in there.....

But many many people have had issues on level 4 with spins and not gone to the tunnel and passed AFF just fine!
keep with it and you will get there ;)

I just completed level 4 this past Sunday. Had a clean exit from 13500 and was stable and released. When I went to do my 2 practice touches I started a slow spin to the right after the 2nd one. I was quick to try to counter it with a left turn but it only seemed to pick up speed so I immediately just thought to myself to take a deep breath and relax and arch. What do you know the spin stopped. I checked my altitude again and then preceded on with the dive flow. Ended up pulling off multiple right and left stable 90's, pulled at 5 and had a nice soft on target landing. Being so new to the sport it still gets me how something as simple as relaxing helps so much. Its funny because like you said falling at terminal towards the earth its sometimes difficult to just "relax" but hang in there and don't give up. You'll get it.

I immediately just thought to myself to take a deep breath and relax and arch. What do you know the spin stopped.

good job!

i'm going back up there on saturday.

and this time, it's going to go great! ;)B|
Jennifer

Dont worry. If you talk to most people it has happened to them. Check this video out. This is my AFP level 1...my very first solo and this is what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mDeh90Qoo

Just remember when things go bad, never give up...as you can see i deployed head down and I too got a perfect canopy. 15 minutes later i was in the plane for level 2. Just get back on the horse and dont give up. Good luck with getting your license.

Blue Skies,

Mike
Mike