Ketia0

learned to pack a canopy yesterday

and that was soooo much harder to figure out than actual freefall or canopy flying!! ( im not perfect, but i walk away from my landings)...

It took me 5 hours, and i would still be nervous about jumping the canopy.. :|:|

any tips on packing???
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

and that was soooo much harder to figure out than actual freefall or canopy flying!! ( im not perfect, but i walk away from my landings)...

It took me 5 hours, and i would still be nervous about jumping the canopy.. :|:|

any tips on packing???

dont forget how to pack ... I have already forgotten. I only remembered it long enough to get it signed off my A card but being a bum I really need to start packing for myself. and I would think that being nervous jumping your own pack job for the first time is natural, I was nervous as hell jumping my own pack job but no one at the DZ would sign off until I jumped it, I pulled a lil higher then normal expecting the worst but it was an amazing feeling having your first pack job open LOL ... a snivel with a slight harder than regular opening shock with a very slight off heading opening, just perfect lol ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

You're gonna look back on this post and go "did i really make it sound that hard?!"

Its really not hard once you've been shown a few times, once its dialled in you'll be doing it without even thinking.

As for tips... pack, pack and pack again.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Thanks for all the help yall.. ;)

i really need to buy my own gear so i can practice it at home instead of on the student gear at the DZ...

well, i am on jump 18 ( graduation jump) and then i got 5 jumps after that and i will have my "A" license.. hopefully i will be able to afford a rig soon..

anyone know about a 210 rig??

I am flying a 230 right now, but i know ill be able to go down once i get good practice on it.

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

any tips on packing???

Practice. After hundreds of pack jobs it'll take you six minutes too.

any tips on packing??

Psycho Pack

Do you know of any videos that shows it flacking? im having problems flacking it.. and identifying the lines when they are all bunched up.. hopefully once i get my canopy i will colour code the lines, so i know which ones are which!! B|

any tips on packing??

Psycho Pack

Do you know of any videos that shows it flacking? im having problems flacking it.. and identifying the lines when they are all bunched up.. hopefully once i get my canopy i will colour code the lines, so i know which ones are which!! B|

Get an Aerodyne canopy. All the attachment points are color coated for easy identification (not that "I" need that or anything:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:).
Muff #5048

For links to videos see This Thread.

When I flake, I look at the knots.

Each line group has it's knots at approximately the same height. Each different group is at a different height.

Something else that helped me is to do the B/C flake first (lines are seperated by the risers and the slider), Then move up to the A/B, restraighten the B/C, then do the C/D. Its a little extra work to do the B/C twice (I couldn't do the A/B without messing up the B/C), but that way helped neaten the whole canopy so that I could see the A/B and C/D seperations easier.

As it says in the other thread, there is no substitute for real, live supervised instruction, but some of the vids should be of help.

Good Luck:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

once i get my license i may come up to SD. its about 5 hours from here though!!!! :S

i did a search on phsyco packing, and from what i can tell, people dont see to much of a differance between that and pro-packing...:S

When i go back to space land, i will probably retake the packing course... its only 40 bucks.. and i think that learning to pack a canopy the right way is probably pretty important!!!!

I'm still learning...my instructor let me finish packing his wingsuit rig on Saturday (with HEAVY supervision) and it was so difficult! He threatened me with the rest of my AFF if he has to cutaway (he won't...I understand a pack job well enough to understand that I didn't botch the job) and ruin his almost 20 year record. :)

-katiebeth

Agreed, psycho packing isn't much different from conventional PRO packing. The only difference is the rolling of the canopy into the bag rather than z-folding it. However.... that little difference can be a huge help if you are struggling to get a slippery mass of uncooperative ZP fabric into a tiny D-bag.

A minor advantage... after flipping and putting the canopy on the floor, I can open the tail and LOOK to verify that no lines are in front of the nose before rolling it.

I suspect that you don't need to re-take the packing course... practice and get some old dogs to coach you (weather holds are a great time for this).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Just keep doing it.

I was frustrated as hell when I started packing.

I have now packed every chute since I was a student, including my own gear. I went from taking almost an hour packing to about a few minutes.

The worst part was getting it into the D-bag :| but after learning some tricks from packers and riggers, I have no issues.

Just wait until you start packing a brand NEW canopy... you'll be cursing to high hell....

"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

I remember my first pack job. It was a rainy saturday, didnt have anything else to do. I got one of the packers to show me how t pack. I packed it maybe 5 times before we all went home. I was planning on jumping it first thing the next morning. when I got there by buddy was about to do his last AFF jump and our instructors threw him the rig I had packed the day before. I just smiled and walked away. He went up and when he came down I asked him how it opened he said it was slow but very good. I started laughing and told him what happened. he was mad for a little bit but i had a good laugh.