beeman

sleeping on the ride up

dthames

***I don't know how you guys sleep.

I'm trying not to hyperventilate and pass out the whole time... :S

I have never seen anyone hyperventilate in their sleep. Just saying.

Well played indeed.
But the adrenaline and cortisol keep me awake. Its fight or flight the whole way up.

I just could not imagine sleeping on the way up, seems like such a high stress environment.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Count your blessings, Dom. Back in Airtwardo's day, Noobs were made to buy beer. Then, they were roasted on the bonfire as a free source of protein >:(. Nowadays, They just screw w/your head a little, like by feigning sleep on the way up :P.

PiLFy

Count your blessings, Dom. Back in Airtwardo's day, Noobs were made to buy beer. Then, they were roasted on the bonfire as a free source of protein >:(. Nowadays, They just screw w/your head a little, like by feigning sleep on the way up :P.

I bought beer ;)
I avoided the roasting though.. but with my extra "winter weight" I'd be well marbled if you trim the fat off of me.

Surprisingly enough, I have seen Jim turn down a free pizza. Elsinore used to put out pie plates as accuracy targets on the sunset load and if you landed on one you got a free pizza at the local pizza place. Jim won quite a few of them but they were awful, so a lot of times they weren't claimed.

jimjumper

Surprisingly enough, I have seen Jim turn down a free pizza. Elsinore used to put out pie plates as accuracy targets on the sunset load and if you landed on one you got a free pizza at the local pizza place. Jim won quite a few of them but they were awful, so a lot of times they weren't claimed.

Those things WERE really bad. I asked one time if I could trade the pizza coupon in for lasagna instead ~ they said no, the lasagna was a higher priced item.

Hell, the ice water was a higher priced item at THAT place!

...I pulled SIX pizza coupons out...handed 'em all to the guy - told him take these & I'll just pay the difference! :ph34r:

The pizza prize was for the 1st person to stomp a pizza pan in the peas on the sunset load...

I use to win all the time because - not only was I fairly good accuri wise....I'd tend to hum it down well into the red - landing a minute or so before the also-rans. ;):D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

pchapman

Guess we won't see that contest revived -- an Otter or Caravan load full of swoopers all converging to try be the first to hit the target! That'll get the anti-swoop anti-maneuvering anti-canopy-collision folks upset.

It wasn't as bad when two PC's collided!

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

***Guess we won't see that contest revived -- an Otter or Caravan load full of swoopers all converging to try be the first to hit the target! That'll get the anti-swoop anti-maneuvering anti-canopy-collision folks upset.

No that was actually kinda FUN! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******Guess we won't see that contest revived -- an Otter or Caravan load full of swoopers all converging to try be the first to hit the target! That'll get the anti-swoop anti-maneuvering anti-canopy-collision folks upset.

No that was actually kinda FUN! ;)

And it took a few minutes....;)
Jump more, post less!

pchapman

Curious - are you saying you stay buckled until 9 grand...or just that 9000 is when gear checks are usually done?

Airport rules -- post #28 -- seatbelts on until 9k'. :S

Actually, some folks don't automatically take off their seatbelts at a grand. Especially if you're on a bench with lap belts.

Since '96, when practical, I wear my seatbelt until shortly before exit altitude when it's time for a gear check. I was in a King Air that lost an engine at about 8500' and we stalled twice before the pilot fully recovered it. The only person who didn't get slammed and pinned to the ceiling twice was the guy who forgot to take off his seatbelt at a grand ( I wonder if Jerry is still jumping?). The look on his face was priceless on the second slam as he realized that what goes up must come down (on him?!)

On the other hand, if I can't position a through the harness belt properly, I will undo it and accept the risk of being slammed by bodies in lieu of being unable to disconnect it.

DrDom

******I don't know how you guys sleep.

Well played indeed.
But the adrenaline and cortisol keep me awake. Its fight or flight the whole way up.

I just could not imagine sleeping on the way up, seems like such a high stress environment.

Funny, the excitement of new jumpers. I am bored to the point of yawning most of the time although I don't sleep. A fully loaded Otter with all it's seat belts in use is a boring ride up.

Although I've always disliked flying, recently a caravan I was on was flying above, below, and then back up behind a impressive fast moving cloud front... that was enjoyable :S it made it more exciting. :)
It changes with time and doing a lot more jumps. ;)

>The "Bird Machine" DC3 in the early eighties had a big screen TV in the back for the ride to altitude.

They had big screen TV's in the early eighties? That would survive the shaking a -3 could give it? Wow, the things I learn.

SoCalJumper

*********I don't know how you guys sleep.

Well played indeed.

Funny, the excitement of new jumpers. I am bored to the point of yawning most of the time although I don't sleep. A fully loaded Otter with all it's seat belts in use is a boring ride up.

Although I've always disliked flying, recently a caravan I was on was flying above, below, and then back up behind a impressive fast moving cloud front... that was enjoyable :S it made it more exciting. :)
It changes with time and doing a lot more jumps. ;)

Always loved flying... still getting used to getting out.
But I can sleep on a plane any day of the week. Even in the little Piper Cub I sometimes nap while the other pilot plays around.

For some reason, even with an open window and my head hanging out... the view seems much more intimidating ;)

airtwardo

***Surprisingly enough, I have seen Jim turn down a free pizza. Elsinore used to put out pie plates as accuracy targets on the sunset load and if you landed on one you got a free pizza at the local pizza place. Jim won quite a few of them but they were awful, so a lot of times they weren't claimed.

Those things WERE really bad. I asked one time if I could trade the pizza coupon in for lasagna instead ~ they said no, the lasagna was a higher priced item.

Hell, the ice water was a higher priced item at THAT place!

...I pulled SIX pizza coupons out...handed 'em all to the guy - told him take these & I'll just pay the difference! :ph34r:

The pizza prize was for the 1st person to stomp a pizza pan in the peas on the sunset load...

I use to win all the time because - not only was I fairly good accuri wise....I'd tend to hum it down well into the red - landing a minute or so before the also-rans. ;):D

Now I know we were on some of the same loads. The first time I took this little lady to Elsinore she came up to me and said if I hit the pizza plate they would give us a free pizza. I said if she wants pizza I would get her pizza. Like you I was fair at steering my Sharpchuter where I wanted it to go and I wanted to impress her at how “cool” I was. Well I come smok’en in and stomped the plate DC. It folded up like a taco shell. Tommy Owens came up to and said “I didn’t know you could do that”. I told him that he had never given me a reason to, the pizza guy did. The pizza man was upset that I ruined plate……and you were right the pizza sucked. I am pretty sure it was a Fielding load.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Everyone is different, I suppose.

I am very cautious with my 'high risk' activities. I once found on the ride up that I was not at all nervous. That made me nervous. I made the jump, but quit for the day. My reasoning is, if I'm not nervous about jumping out of an airplane, I'm not really paying attention.

I once asked a senior jumper when the butterflies go away. He told me, "I'll let you know when it happens."
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Everyone is different, I suppose.

I am very cautious with my 'high risk' activities. I once found on the ride up that I was not at all nervous. That made me nervous. I made the jump, but quit for the day. My reasoning is, if I'm not nervous about jumping out of an airplane, I'm not really paying attention.

I once asked a senior jumper when the butterflies go away. He told me, "I'll let you know when it happens."

i was told "the butterflies never go away, they just learn to do RW"

NWFlyer

I don't sleep, but I often do close my eyes and zone out. It's more likely (especially if I'm training) that my eyes are closed so I can focus and visualize. Visualizing's free and helps me fly better. B|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRHa32O2oM&t=1m21s

pchapman

Guess we won't see that contest revived -- an Otter or Caravan load full of swoopers all converging to try be the first to hit the target! That'll get the anti-swoop anti-maneuvering anti-canopy-collision folks upset.

[inline cr2010.jpg]