mdrejhon

New "Gay Way" World Record with me as Load Organizer (Rainbow Boogie 2009)

(Skip to bottom, if you just want the boogie photos!)

I am happy to announce that we achieved a new Gay Way World Record, a 12-way 2-point formation at Skydive Cross Keys, on August 8th, 2009! This beats the record set on July 30th, 2006 during Rainbow Boogie 2006 a NouvelAir!

It was the first time I had official load organizer slots at any skydiving dropzone (beer!). I also created formation printout diagrams as well. Early small practice jumps with two A license low-timers to make sure they flew/tracked/canopy piloted okay, with good awareness. (They are highly current, all with jumps this year), and they qualified through increasingly bigger ways leading up to the 12-way Gay Way World Record on the Saturday!

I was the load organizer of the specific jumps, and utilized all the learning experience I had at Perris P3. Joseph Wood as well as Tim G also helped me with the ideas, and they agreed with the formation design to maximize success for a diverse range of jumpers from a 50-jump A-license jumper all the way up to World Team members. For other jumps, I had Tim G do the load organizing.

Even straight dropzone employee facebooked many of the boogie photos! (Including, um, a few NSFW ones.) Those who have seen Dana's or Victoria's facebook profile will know what crazy fun the boogie was among the straight girls and straight men who attended! The boogie is a 100% hetero-friendly gay boogie, and we got amazing support by all the straight employees and regular skydivers at Cross Keys!

We want to thank everyone at Skydive Cross Keys for their amazing support, and also to Square 3 and Aerodyne (who attended with a booth), and especially to Liz who pratically begged us to host the 2009 boogie at Cross Keys. All the key people are pratically begging us to come back, so we'll do Rainbow Boogie 2010. All 87 "I Can't Think Straight!" T-Shirts were sold out; with more than 50 to straight jumpers and straight dropzone employees. Definitely phenomenal support by the straights!.

Don't worry -- for the other groups visiting -- the dropzone has now been cleaned up and personally sanitized of the rainbow flags and memorabilia -- and it's safe again, if you hate rainbows, that is. -- after all, it is a dropzone that welcomes all kinds of jumpers, whether it be Rainbow Boogie, or Egyptian military jumpers, or Christian skydivers. Respect the facilities for the other groups' other weekends.

We will be back in August 2010 -- for Rainbow Boogie 2010 -- at Skydive Cross Keys again. Exact dates to be announced later. Watch for us in a photo article in an upcoming issue Parachutist AND Blue Skies magazine. 5 different magazines/papers, including ALL major skydiving magazines, have contacted us already!

Just a few of the hundreds of boogie photographs taken:
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=52708009938&view=all

1st, CONGRATS
2nd, "New "Gay Way" World Record with me as Load Organizer " does that title sound strange ? Was the pun intended (or is it just me that is imagining far too much) ??? :D

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I probably won't understand why it's so important to tell everyone it's gay this, gay that... It's as if I would be coming to every person and screaming: I'm straight, I'm straight, look at me!

Anyway, congrats :)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

you should look at some straight people around gays; thats EXACTLY what they're doing! ;)

its a "minority"-group that has achieved something together; worth mentioning.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you should look at some straight people around gays; thats EXACTLY what they're doing! ;)

its a "minority"-group that has achieved something together; worth mentioning.. :)

Hell, maybe I should organize a 12 way of people predisposed to colon cancer. Maybe albinos? People with diabetes? "The sugar free way"

Don't worry -- for the other groups visiting -- the dropzone has now been cleaned up and personally sanitized of the rainbow flags and memorabilia -- and it's safe again,

Thank goodness.:o

:D:D:D:D

Glad everyone had a good time. Congrats on the new record. I bet you build even bigger next year.:)

Hell, maybe I should organize a 12 way of people predisposed to colon cancer. Maybe albinos? People with diabetes? "The sugar free way"

Go for it! :)
Remster

there's a "deaf world record".. go figure! ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

There's even been a cancer-survivor's record event, and the amputees have been doing their thing, minus a limb or two, for the past 20 years give or take. :P

Well done, Mark. What you've done, I could have used a lesson or two on organizing the last deaf world record I was a part of. I hated having to cut those guys off.

You've come a long way in a very short time.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>I probably won't understand why it's so important to tell everyone it's gay this, gay that . .

I guess it's the same reason women get together for Jump for the Cause to say "it's women this, women that."

>It's as if I would be coming to every person and screaming: I'm straight,
>I'm straight, look at me!

Oh, I've been to a few places where people were doing just that . . .

is there a deaf-gay record ?

I'm sure Mark's done a solo at least once. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

is there a deaf-gay record ?

Just playing devils advocate hear (:D) But I see a big difference between being gay and being deaf. Deaf people have a barrier to overcome in being able to communicate effectively with instructors and coaches.

Therefore it is reasonable to expect it to be more (how much is debatable) difficult to become a skydiver as a deaf person.

I would hope that being gay has not affected skydiving for anyone in any way. And if you it has or you are afraid it would then you have the complete ability to not share that part of your life with the DZ.

I think having a gay boogie and get together is an awesome idea, but I have to agree that the proper response to "gay world record" is "so what?"

Discuss. :P

Also for full disclaimer I am a straight white male with no physical abnormalities.
I took a few years of Deaf study in high school and fully support gay rights.

Well, I guess you got a point there :P

We did TWO points. :)
There are specialty Big Way Records, some major, and some minor, all of which involves 20 way or less:

Deaf World Record - www.deafskydivers.org
Parachuters Over Phorty small state records - www.thepops.org
Pieces of Eight (amputee skydivers)
Cancer Surviors record
Etc.

Become Cat Herder Extraordinairé, and start a new record. Get the entire world minority group to attend your one event. I've been the cat herder guy for the gay skydivers since 2006, but my cat herding skills are improving dramatically :)

Well, I guess you got a point there :P

We did TWO points. :)
There are specialty Big Way Records, some major, and some minor, all of which involves 20 way or less:

Deaf World Record - www.deafskydivers.org
Parachuters Over Phorty small state records - www.thepops.org
Pieces of Eight (amputee skydivers)
Cancer Surviors record
Etc.

Become Cat Herder Extraordinairé, and start a new record. Get the entire world minority group to attend your one event. I've been the cat herder guy for the gay skydivers since 2006, but my cat herding skills are improving dramatically :)

For a second there I thought you were talking about the Cat Chasing Championships... :D:D:D

(Story from the book "Bedtime Stories for Skydivers")
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

1. Congratulations.

2. I am surprised that your group was so small. I would bet that most large DZs could put together a bigger group from just their regular jumpers.

3. Good luck next year!

Oh, that community is much larger than you think, these are the ones out of the closet. :P J/K

Just playing devils advocate hear (:D) But I see a big difference between being gay and being deaf. Deaf people have a barrier to overcome in being able to communicate effectively with instructors and coaches.

Double devil's advocate: One might argue that at some times in history, it has been more difficult being gay than being deaf.

Agreed, though it is nolonger the case for the majority of the leading Western World countries, especially Canada and most of USA (especially Northeast/California, plus big cities, etc). I escaped most of the homophobic era, as I'm relatively young at 35, so my deafness is a bigger barrier for me personally.

Some of our Rainbow Skydiver group members come from countries that are not quite so progressive, although they weren't at this specific Rainbow Boogie.

Very true for what you said. But also like I said... its much easier to keep your private life to yourself than any physical trait.

I'm not saying you should have to, but if you don't feel like dealing with problematic people then it is an option.

I didn't know you were also deaf... come down to Alabama. I need someone to practice my ASL on, it's been a few years.