aerialcameraman

what canopy do you use for demos

Personally, I just use the one canopy I know best and have put the most jumps on. My Triathlon 120. It gets me where I want to go. Yeah I load it more than demo jumpers really should but I have used it successfully in a 80,000 seat stadium and several tight demos with few outs. Accuracy just happened to be my best skill.

I have pretty much quit doing demos now since I only make a handful or two of jumps a year nowadays.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have used my Reflex 145 at airshows or demos with big landing fields, but I more often use my Fury 220, sometimes putting a stack together before breaking and coming in separate (have landed them, but don't really like to any more). On tight demos, I sometimes use a 282 or 302 Foil.

Really depends on the event.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Which do you think is the best?

There is no single correct answer, but here are some considerations:

1) What looks impressive to other skydivers will not necessarily please the spectators or sponsor ($$). I have heard specator complaints that the skydivers came in "too fast," but never "too slow."
2) Nothing trumps a safe stand-up right where you are expected to land.
3) That sport main which lands you on-target everyday at the DZ might not have the flight envelope to make it over those high obstacles and come in steep onto a landing area, even if it looks pretty big.
4) If you choose a canopy specifically for demos, make sure you jump it often enough to be very proficient. Flying a much bigger canopy can be challenging if you're not current. There are some demos I will not perform because I can't justify the time and cost of currency with a true accuracy canopy for the few times I really need one.
5) If you jump a conservative W/L and plan to land in a generous-size, open area, your everyday sport main still might be a good choice because of currency and proficiency.

Whatever you choose to jump, be aware of your own limitations and those of your equipment.

We demoed the startracs and didn't like them all that well. We use ZP Mantas and they work great. We can sink them and fly them in straight

I put about 25 jumps on a 245 Startracs and thought they sucked. The Sharpchuter packs up smaller and has a higher max weight limit than the ZP Mantas. They also work well in deep brakes.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

CPT Stan makes a lot of good points and any one thinking of starting Demo's should read the list several times.

As to the canopies: one must remember they are tools for a job. Each job may require a different tool. If your using the Star Trak series remember there are (or where) 6 of them, different model sizes means different tool options.

The classic style canopies like the Star Traks and Classics are sevel cells with large nose openings, not known for high glide ratios but very comfortable in steep braked, down town intersection or foot ball stadium approaches. They open harder than a Sabre 2 and perform differently as well. One also must understand winds in a built up area, spotting and wind lines real well with these parachutes as well.

The Sabres/Velos etc etc are canopies better suited to larger venues where the higher glide ratio will be not only "cool" but usable.

The "hybreds" Spectre, Pulse etc in the proper wing loading can be used in multiple venues.

Again they are different tools.

Unless it is a "Swooping Demo" slower is usually not only better, but safer as well.

Now to the OP's Question: for Stadiums I have jumped Star Traks in the 265, Star Trak I, and II models for nearly 500 demos. I have done larger fields under a Spectre 170 and 150, for around 30 Demo's. I have also jumped a Precision 400 Tandem Main and Sigma 395 Tandem Main while jumping large Flags.

Different tools for the different jobs.

The biggest thing is not matter the tool, be current with it.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Curious that you posted this, I've been meaning to post a poll on canopies for demos for a while now, but an incident sorta distracted me...

I jump the same two with which I qualified for my PRO; a Silhouette 190 and a Sil 170. I normally jump either a Storm 135 or a Storm 150. 190 is loaded just around 1:1. I also have a 230 for jumping a larger flag.

This'll probably slide the discussion, but it seems to be common that people qualify on one canopy, and are using something else for demos. Case in point, local guy that qual'd on a Stilletto 135, but is flying a Velo 96 for demos, even into stadiums.
Sparky told me a couple of years ago that for demos, I wanted fat and slow, and sinkable. Well... His advice has paid off for me on more than one occasion, and on a recent demo, the two guys that jumped the canopies they were qualified for their PRO rating with, were the only two that didn't scream in, landed in the middle of the arena, and got the most applause. Neither of us met the "cool" line on the canopyo-meter, but the crowd seemed to be pleased.

I personally use a Nitro 150. I have put it into tight little league fields with the front field filled up and little outs. Just have to keep your head on a swivel and know when to commit and when to go for an out.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

>Sparky told me a couple of years ago that for demos, I wanted fat and
>slow, and sinkable.

Depends on the demo. On the SFO demo, the people who almost landed out were the fat-slow-sinkable types, especially the guys who put their BASE canopies into skydiving containers. OTOH, for Qualcomm Stadium, big F-111's were the ticket; even the Tri-190 I used for that purpose had too much glide.

>Sparky told me a couple of years ago that for demos, I wanted fat and
>slow, and sinkable.

Depends on the demo. On the SFO demo, the people who almost landed out were the fat-slow-sinkable types, especially the guys who put their BASE canopies into skydiving containers. OTOH, for Qualcomm Stadium, big F-111's were the ticket; even the Tri-190 I used for that purpose had too much glide.

Makes sense. I don't have a whole lot of demo experience under my belt. The Sil is a hybrid, 111 bottom, ZP top. Had I been on the SFO demo, due to the landing area, I'd likely have been jumping my Storm 135 with my wingsuit anyway.

We do about 10 to 12 ever year and pick more up each year. We jump red white and blue ZP mantas for them. We built a target the same as the knights have and practice a lot a can sink them pretty good. We can hit that target and the crowd loves that. We take flags in all the time too. We demoed the startracs and they seemed to slam us to the ground where as the manatas will not. So I've come up with whatever you jump for demos yhe first things is be proficent and practice the canopy you are using. A good rule of thumb I was tought is if you can't take your canopy (main or reserve) and land it in the tightest place you ever had to you probably should be jumping it. Because sooner or later you will have to land in a place that may not be as forgiving as the DZ.

245 sq. ft. Sharpchuter. Tight demo or open field. I have never hear a demo jumper land and say, "damn I had way to much canopy for the demo."

Sparky

Hey Doc,
Where is that flag attached to you in that second pic?

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

They open harder than a Sabre 2 and perform differently as well.

I had Red to this mod to it and it opened like a dream.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Cable0004.jpg

The biggest thing is not matter the tool, be current with it.

As you and others have mentioned, it critical that you are current with whatever canopy you choose.

Sparky

245 sq. ft. Sharpchuter. Tight demo or open field. I have never hear a demo jumper land and say, "damn I had way to much canopy for the demo."

Sparky

Hey Doc,
Where is that flag attached to you in that second pic?

Jump

It is the same in both pictures. It is deployed from a container worn around the waist and held on with 2 inch webbing. The flag lanyard it attached to the webbing with a modified 3 ring release system.

Sparky

The nose caps are a great "slower" of the fast openings and Red has said some even take them off after the canopy has "broken in". I left mine on as I seemed to be "breaking in" to liking the softer openings in my ole' age:$.

To the OP; the Style of landing with the Star Traks, Sharpchuters etc takes a bit of practice and getting used to. The series can be made with a Z-P top skin like the Mantas, but as the two designs are different they will perform differently, they are after all different "tools".

But the Manta is a good pic for all around use.

billvon- for the SF Demo was spotting done for a central target? of for a show line off of the landing areas?

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!