aerialcameraman

what canopy do you use for demos

>billvon- for the SF Demo was spotting done for a central target?

Nope. Four landing areas, five different spots, chosen primarily for winds. (45kt winds from the south at altitude, 10-20kt winds from the west at ground level.) With winds like that, getting everyone on target was the #1 priority.

>Did the larger canoies get grouped in such a way they could spot for them
>selves or was it a mix of canopies in each group? and the spot was for
>the whole over the few?

For the most part the larger canopies were the wingsuiters, and Ed spotted for them - although for wingsuiters the spot is secondary.

Old Falcon 300. Laugh at it if you want, but I've never missed. We jumped in to Springfield HS Football field with 100 ft wires all the way around, a 3 story building next to the field and high tension power lines at one end. One way in, no outs or land on somebody's front porch. That was the tightest. The others were not quite as tight. Steep approach and soft landing.

.80 loading
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Which do you think is the best?

There is no single correct answer, but here are some considerations:

1) What looks impressive to other skydivers will not necessarily please the spectators or sponsor ($$). I have heard spectator complaints that the skydivers came in "too fast," but never "too slow."
2) Nothing trumps a safe stand-up right where you are expected to land.
3) That sport main which lands you on-target everyday at the DZ might not have the flight envelope to make it over those high obstacles and come in steep onto a landing area, even if it looks pretty big.
4) If you choose a canopy specifically for demos, make sure you jump it often enough to be very proficient. Flying a much bigger canopy can be challenging if you're not current. There are some demos I will not perform because I can't justify the time and cost of currency with a true accuracy canopy for the few times I really need one.
5) If you jump a conservative W/L and plan to land in a generous-size, open area, your everyday sport main still might be a good choice because of currency and proficiency.

Whatever you choose to jump, be aware of your own limitations and those of your equipment.

Well stated! B|

I have 4 canopies in my demo 'stable' ranging from 170 to 260 square feet.

There is no single canopy that is exactly right for every demo, using the same one type for a windy open airshow may comprise your safety factor going into a rock concert with no outs.

Working with Ted Strong, we designed a demo canopy that in my opinion fills most of the basic requirements very well.

It's a 240 sqft hybrid 7 cell that flys well, sinks a lot like an accuracy canopy, opens consistently at terminal or sub and though somewhat faster in flight, closely mirrors the performance characteristics of the Strong reserves.

Something not mentioned much regarding demos is the possibility of a malfunction and the resulting ramifications of going to a reserve not in the same class as the main being used.

Know BOTH of your canopies and your skills, and realistically abide by YOUR limitations.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~