norton

Tailgate Aircraft.

This is "whoever took over from Fayard."
They have shown up on time at three boogies in New England in the past couple of months.

HW

but they did significantly change the loading restrictions from what Fayard allowed. At the Pepperell Boogie (where were you Howard?) they only allowed 13-15 slots in the aircraft.
That was disappointing.

How the hell do you run a Casa with only 15 people on it?

It was disappointing a coupla times to be kicked off the load as an observer, simply due to the limit of 15.
Length of runway and temperature + load limits in those conditions were cited, but in the two years previous under Fayard, We always had 25.
With tach time being what it is, I don't see how the CASA is affordable.

They have shown up on time at three boogies in New England in the past couple of months.

HW

but they did significantly change the loading restrictions from what Fayard allowed. At the Pepperell Boogie (where were you Howard?) they only allowed 13-15 slots in the aircraft.
That was disappointing.

I believe the number was 17-19; still well below capacity and below what the organizers had planned for. Wasn't it also a day late, too?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It was actually 17-19 depending on when they fueled. Very comfy and fast rides to altitude, but we needed 2 planes to do 25-ways which was a bit unexpected. It's sad when a slow 100 series otter can carry more people than a casa. According to Manifest, Fayard has been sending CASAs to pepperell for 10 years and I believe they normally put up to 26 on them.

They also refused to hot fuel, so every fuel load was a 15-30 minute shutdown. They did hot fuel at jumptown though.

And Howard, define "on time." Unfortunately weather was a big factor, but they were 2 or 3 days late to Pepperell and if I remember correctly, they were late to jumptown too by a day or two.

Dave

I guess I'm wrong. I know I was removed from two loads (both after fueling) because I was #16 or 17. It was a real shocker. But, I did get some fun exit shots on the two loads I was on, so I guess that makes up for it.

And Howard, define "on time." if I remember correctly, they were late to jumptown too by a day or two.
Dave

They would have been at Jumptown on time except for weather. They spent Thursday at Keene, NH because KORE was below minimums.
I have talked recently with the president and chief pilot of Rampart. They are looking carefully at airports where they're booked. I expect that some DZs which used CASAs under Fayard will not find it cost-effective to do so under the new management.

HW

rampart had their casa at skydive new england last weekend, apparently flying with 20 or so. again, runway clearances and such were cited as the reasons. can't be profitable!

that said, our dz up here in the great white north has had a fayard otter once a year for a few years now, and this year it was rampart. they arrived on time, no problems.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I could have sworn when the two CASAs were flying at Skyfest at Skydive Carolina in '08 that the loads were 34 people. And that was WITH the FAA getting on board & counting seatbelts. I thought that was a normal load, maybe I was mistaken. Skydive Carolina does have a large runway though, perhaps that factored in.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I could have sworn when the two CASAs were flying at Skyfest at Skydive Carolina in '08 that the loads were 34 people. And that was WITH the FAA getting on board & counting seatbelts. I thought that was a normal load, maybe I was mistaken. Skydive Carolina does have a large runway though, perhaps that factored in.

That's exactly what was factored in. I think it's 30 people max, not 34. Either way, the decision to run the loads at Pepperell so light was due to the runway configuration.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Fayard put 34 peeps per load on our 3300' runway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, 2-5000ft

HW

And they failed to show as contracted at a June boogie on the West coast, choosing instead to take another (presumably more lucrative) job. Fayard had previously done some of the same.

So what else does this contract say?

Does it have a escape clause where if the US Government needs the airplane for training, they can void the contract?
Does every DZ sign the contract with full knowledge of this clause?

There is one reason there are so many CASA's running in the US right now and it isn't because a couple fun jumpers.

Fayard put 34 peeps per load on our 3300' runway.

The Casa 212 is a transport category aircraft.

Maximum takeoff weight is not as simple as in a lighter aircraft.

Sec. 91.605 - Transport category civil airplane weight limitations.

(b) No person may operate a turbine-engine-powered transport category airplane certificated after September 30, 1958, contrary to the Airplane Flight Manual, or take off that airplane unless --

(1) The takeoff weight does not exceed the takeoff weight specified in the Airplane Flight Manual for the elevation of the airport and for the ambient temperature existing at the time of takeoff;

(2) Normal consumption of fuel and oil in flight to the airport of intended landing and to the alternate airports will leave a weight on arrival not in excess of the landing weight specified in the Airplane Flight Manual for the elevation of each of the airports involved and for the ambient temperatures expected at the time of landing;

(3) The takeoff weight does not exceed the weight shown in the Airplane Flight Manual to correspond with the minimum distances required for takeoff, considering the elevation of the airport, the runway to be used, the effective runway gradient, the ambient temperature and wind component at the time of takeoff, and, if operating limitations exist for the minimum distances required for takeoff from wet runways, the runway surface condition (dry or wet). Wet runway distances associated with grooved or porous friction course runways, if provided in the Airplane Flight Manual, may be used only for runways that are grooved or treated with a porous friction course (PFC) overlay, and that the operator determines are designed, constructed, and maintained in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

(4) Where the takeoff distance includes a clearway, the clearway distance is not greater than one-half of --

(i) The takeoff run, in the case of airplanes certificated after September 30, 1958, and before August 30, 1959; or

(ii) The runway length, in the case of airplanes certificated after August 29, 1959.

(c) No person may take off a turbine-engine-powered transport category airplane certificated after August 29, 1959, unless, in addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section --

(1) The accelerate-stop distance is no greater than the length of the runway plus the length of the stopway (if present); and

(2) The takeoff distance is no greater than the length of the runway plus the length of the clearway (if present); and

(3) The takeoff run is no greater than the length of the runway.

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-605-FAR.shtml