ZigZagMarquis

Cal City Otter & C206 at Pepperell, MA

Stories... Video... more Pictures, Please!!??!!
:)Did they leave all the stickers on the inside??
;)
http://www.skyjump.com/
---------------------------------------
ROAD TRIP!!!
1: Start out going SOUTH on CA-178/N CHINA LAKE BLVD toward N TRIANGLE DR. Continue to follow N CHINA LAKE BLVD. 8.1 mi
2: Turn LEFT onto US-395/THREE FLAGS HWY. Continue to follow US-395. 42.5 mi
3: Turn LEFT onto CA-58 E. 29.3 mi
4: Merge onto I-15 N via the exit on the LEFT toward LAS VEGAS (Passing through NEVADA and ARIZONA, then crossing into UTAH). 402.2 mi
5: Merge onto I-70 E via EXIT 132 toward RICHFIELD/DENVER (Crossing into COLORADO). 501.9 mi
6: Keep LEFT to take I-76 E via EXIT 269B toward FT MORGAN (Crossing into NEBRASKA). 187.4 mi
7: I-76 E becomes I-80 E (Crossing into IOWA). 473.9 mi
8: Merge onto I-80 E via EXIT 123B toward CHICAGO/MINNEAPOLIS. 166.6 mi
9: Merge onto I-280 E via EXIT 290 toward ROCK ISLAND/MOLINE (Crossing into ILLINOIS). 27.5 mi
10: I-280 E becomes I-80 E (Portions toll) (Crossing into INDIANA). 168.3 mi
11: Merge onto I-80 E via EXIT 16 toward OHIO (Portions toll) (Crossing into OHIO). 287.7 mi
12: Merge onto I-480 E via EXIT 151. 9.8 mi
13: Take the I-71 N exit, EXIT 11, toward CLEVELAND. 0.9 mi
14: Merge onto BEREA FWY. 0.5 mi
15: BEREA FWY becomes I-71 N. 8.6 mi
16: I-71 N becomes I-90 E (Portions toll) (Passing through PENNSYLVANIA, then crossing into NEW YORK). 466.0 mi
17: Keep RIGHT to take I-87 S/NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY S toward NEW YORK/BOSTON/MASS PIKE (Portions toll). 14.6 mi
18: Take EXIT 21A toward I-90 E/MASS TPKE/BOSTON. 0.9 mi
19: Merge onto NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY E (Portions toll) (Crossing into MASSACHUSETTS). 24.1 mi
20: NEW YORK STATE THRUWAY E becomes I-90 E/MASS PIKE/MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE (Portions toll). 106.0 mi
21: Merge onto I-495 N via EXIT 11A toward MARLBOROUGH/N.H.-MAINE. 23.2 mi
22: Take the RT-119 exit, EXIT 31, toward GROTON/ACTON. 0.2 mi
23: Keep RIGHT at the fork to go on MA-119. 9.1 mi
24: Turn RIGHT onto RIVER RD/MA-111. 2.0 mi
25: Turn RIGHT onto CANAL ST. 0.8 mi
26: CANAL ST becomes MILL ST. 0.6 mi
27: Turn RIGHT onto NASHUA RD/MA-111. 2.1 mi
28: End at 165 Nashua Rd Pepperell, MA 01463-1457

Estimated Time: 44.0 hours 23 minutes
Estimated Distance: 2964.73 miles

:S
:D

There are a lot of stickers inside; 'course I don't know whether there are some missing. But I'll take some pix of the inside.
On the way to altitude I offered a beer to the first person who correctly identified the function of the rectangular, fabric-lined opening in the back wall.
Someone actually guessed right; I owe him.
Van flew in Wednesday. 40 degrees on the ground and really windy. Remember, there's no heat in the plane.[:/]

HW

...Remember, there's no heat in the plane...

:|

Waaaaaahhhh!
:P

Come talk to me when you get on the bird at 0600 on a January morning when its below freezing on the ground and -20F at altitude.

;)
:o

Anyway, the fabric-lined opening in the back wall is for empty Power-Ade bottles and empty coffee cups... DUH!

I offered a beer to the first person who correctly identified the function of the rectangular, fabric-lined opening in the back wall.
HW

I wondered that, myself. What is it?

Well... sonny... back in the good ol' days we used to put students out on these things called "Direct Bag Static Lines".

The student's rig / parachute would be opened by a line attached to the aircraft which wasn't connected to his or her parachute. As they fell away from the plane, the static line & bag would pull their parachute out, leaving the student under thier main and the static line and bag connected to the aircraft.

The jumpmaster would haul the static line and bag back into the plane, disconnect it, ball it up and stow it in that fabric lined "hole" in the pack of N121PM before getting ready to dispatch his or her next student or go to altitude to do a hot RW jump with their buddies... ;)

QED

Seriously, if all you Cal City folks migrated to Pepperell, there wouldn't be enough block & tackle available statewide to get you down out of the trees . . .

...that's all right....New Hampshire is a couple hundred yards down the runway so if we run out in Massachusetts we can just head over to NH. ;)

Trees???

What are these "trees" you speak of??

Too funny!

Anyway, the fabric-lined opening in the back wall is for empty Power-Ade bottles and empty coffee cups... DUH!

They call themselves skydivers and don't know this? I learned that during my first jump course! :o:D

Holy Crap!!!

They're HUGE!!!!!

Looks like you barely out ran them on landing!!!??!

Dude - SERIOUS. Those things look SCARY.

And what's with all the GREEN stuff sprinkled on the ground, anyway? :D:D

Now about that road trip...
Signatures are the new black.

Is that a 100 series or was it originally a float plane?

Well, it is a 100 series, and a 100 series could have been a float plane, I guess, but AFAIK it wasn't.
121PM (Serial number #14) was one of several Twin Otters operated by Pilgrim Airlines, a New England regional carrier based in New London, CT.
There is a picture of it at Boston-Logan Airport on Airliners.net.
Another Pilgrim Otter, 125PM, was used occasionally as a jump plane in New England; I jumped it at Turners Falls, MA, among other places.

HW

Is that a 100 series or was it originally a float plane?

Well, it is a 100 series, and a 100 series could have been a float plane, I guess, but AFAIK it wasn't.
121PM (Serial number #14) was one of several Twin Otters operated by Pilgrim Airlines, a New England regional carrier based in New London, CT.
There is a picture of it at Boston-Logan Airport on Airliners.net.
Another Pilgrim Otter, 125PM, was used occasionally as a jump plane in New England; I jumped it at Turners Falls, MA, among other places.

HW

Well, sort of sort of.

The way I understand it... N121PM was originally a 100 series Otter... It was never a float plane... the blunt nose doesn't indicate float plane, its just the way the original nose was on an Otter... I've also heard that 121PM was re-winged at some point in her life with a 200 series wing/nacelles (i.e. she chould be re-engined with a step up in motors... if someone has lots of $$$$ burning a hole in their pocket that is... but I'm not sure if that last part is fact of fiction)... maybe vpjr will verify?

Did they leave all the stickers on the inside??

See attached. I think the only new one is Flock U (the local wingsuit operation.)

Seriously, if all you Cal City folks migrated to Pepperell, there wouldn't be enough block & tackle available statewide to get you down out of the trees . . .

See attached. No block and tackle. (The one-armed tree guy later went for a right-seat ride in 121PM.)

..121PM was re-winged at some point in her life with a 200 series wing/nacelles

Actually 300-series wings.
The third 206 (the other white one) flew in today.

HW

Just for the record, my remark about wind and temperature was intended to provoke sympathy for vpjr, who flew from St. Louis to Pepperell wrapped in plastic bags.[:/]

HW

Awh, come-on!!!

Jr. & Emiko probably have high $$$ electrically heated & matching snow-mobile suits or what not to keep warm during those long ferry flights AND they probably even hire a flight attendant too for such events!!! I mean... they own a FLEET of JUMP PLANES... they gotta be RICH!!!!

;)

:)