Andrewbrinkhaus

how does my height affect stability?

I realize their are physics behind this question, (surface area, drag, etc.) but I also would like to hear your opinions on it. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs, how does my height/weight affect my stability, assuming I had good form as opposed to someone much shorter/lighter?

Does more surface area mean more stable, or will it just give the rushing air more space to push me around? [:/]
Do not pursue happiness. Create it.

I realize their are physics behind this question, (surface area, drag, etc.) but I also would like to hear your opinions on it. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs, how does my height/weight affect my stability, assuming I had good form as opposed to someone much shorter/lighter?

Does more surface area mean more stable, or will it just give the rushing air more space to push me around? [:/]

You have slightly more stability in belly-to-earth positions as long as you actually have control over your arms and legs and they aren't just flopping around.

Think of it like the difference between a sports car (short and light) and a Cadillac (longer and heavier). The sports car can be more nimble and easier to turn (which is a plus later in the sport if you do 4-way, ect.) The Cadillac has the smoother ride because it has more inertia and a greater moment, but, if it were to go out of control, it's harder to stop. Being tall also has certain advantages for 4-way (like the ability to reach out and touch somebody) so I absolutely wouldn't count that out.

In general, the sport slightly favors smaller and lighter people over taller and heavier. You'll be slightly less comfortable in the plane. You'll hit your head more often on the door.

At 6'3" and 180, you're tall and relatively light. You will have a slight tendency to "float" or fall slower than average all other things being equal. This is to your advantage since it's far easier to find ways to speed up than it is to slow down. You also have a nice advantage when it comes to tracking; practice that on every skydive and use it to your advantage.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You're about the same height as Craig Girard and Shannon Pilcher, though probably 10lb lighter than both. They're both kinda good at this skydiving business (look them up), so you're going to be just fine. I'm also 6'3", and when I started was maybe 5lb lighter than you. I've put on a few lb of muscle and a few lb of belly since then.

If you have a stiff back (many men do; particularly those who start when over ~40), you might find arching difficult. That, combined with your large-and-a-little-light frame, might leave you on the 'floaty' (ie, slower falling) side.

A decent-fitting jumpsuit though, and you'll be right.

In general, the sport slightly favors smaller and lighter people over taller and heavier. You'll be slightly less comfortable in the plane. You'll hit your head more often on the door.

Andy Neuman sings:
"Short people ain't got nobody to love."

Stability begins in the womb and becomes a state of mind ... if you're lucky. ... or not.

Your longevity allows you to seek power from a place much further from the center of your gravity.

Be grave. Tell short people where they belong.

Your discipline of choice might someday be influenced by your lengthy posture. Maybe laying belly base is better left to the rounder types.
m~

I'm 6'5'' 175 and i can maintain stability. It shouldn't really matter at all.

Holy Crap! You must be one skinny person. I'm 6'2" 200#, and I have no gut or other extra weight. I get called skinny but I'm not, just lean.

I defintely can float with the best and track like mad; but need a little extra weight to stay down with the biggest at our DZ. My spine is not terribly flexible and the weights are more than anything a compensation for that.

The new suit (pretty well fitted - thank you Skimmer) has helped a lot.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I believe your question is about stability. And that's a matter of technique and skill and is not at all affected by body dimensions so long as those dimensions are human. It's not only teachable, it's taught. Stability is an AFF requirement. If you were 9'10" and 375 lbs. you should be able to fall in a stable position. If you are built in some peculiar way - like you have three arms - you should probably be able to compensate in some way. Nonsense aside, your ability to free fall in a stable position has 100% nothing to do with your body build. If you are not able to fall stable, you need coaching and not much else.

You have slightly more stability in belly-to-earth positions

What's that mean? Belly-to-earth has no advantage over any other position so long as the required skill is there.

as long as you actually have control over your arms and legs and they aren't just flopping around.

which is the case for all disciplines and positions, not just belly-to-earth.
Stability has nothing to do with the choice of skydiving or body type. It's largely a matter of keeping symmetry of the limbs, or some form of compensation for a lack of symmetry, which is why we place our left arm forward when we reach back to pull. We initially become asymmetrical but we find compensation which is not actually symmetrical.

hey man, Im roughly 6'8" and in the range of 235-240, if you go out for a burble hop dive, or do any burble hopping in the tunnel, your going to find it kind of easy as you can reach for your clean air, and then your going to watch the guy hopping your burble fall from the sky, being big rocks, you can play with so many sized jumpers.
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

since when does being tall restrict you to two disciplines in skydiving? I agree you have more surface area for wingsuiting, but in no way are you limited to just those two. belly flying is just easier for us tall people, whats next. Tall people are limited to Otters and Base jumping because of how much room we take up? Give your head a shake
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

whats next. Tall people are limited to Otters and Base jumping because of how much room we take up? Give your head a shake

well when you and me are in the 182 together that sounds like a pretty reasonable idea
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

you have two options in this sport , freeflying, or wingsuiting..

This is comedy, right? Because it implies that not too long ago, before either of these disciplines existed, that there were no options. Which in turn implies that before they existed no one so tall could even consider skydiving. 'Tain't true. Flat out wrong. Ergo my conclusion that this is comedy. Has to be.