BillyVance

Drop Zones who accept Skyride Gift Certificates II

Definitely NOT suprised Titusville accepts it. It's all about the money, not about skydiving. Sadly many cool people work there. You can probably add Lakes Wales to the list. Spend your money and your friends tandem money somewhere else.
Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

Well, here's one way to combat this problem. Any of you who jump at a DZ that accepts skyride gift certificates, please show the DZO the www.1800skyrideripoff.com site and try to convince her/him to quit taking them, and tell Skyride to FUCK OFF.

Just ask T.K. Hayes what he does.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

da "list" would look more professional if you used the same size font.

Working on that as we speak! Apparently, a tag had gotten out of place, so I just removed all formatting and redoing it. It will be corrected shortly.. BTW, Are you using Firefox? It seems to be effecting it more that IE.

Edited for update,,, The fonts should be good to go now! Let me know if you see anything else that need to be corrected.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Well, here's one way to combat this problem. Any of you who jump at a DZ that accepts skyride gift certificates, please show the DZO the www.1800skyrideripoff.com site and try to convince her/him to quit taking them, and tell Skyride to FUCK OFF.
Just ask T.K. Hayes what he does.

Agreed, re: the smaller DZs, where maybe, just maybe, an occasional DZO is not quite up to speed on all this. But should we really assume that the management of, say, Perris, Elsinore or Houston are similarly naive?

re: the smaller DZs, where maybe, just maybe, an occasional DZO is not quite up to speed on all this. But should we really assume that the management of, say, Perris, Elsinore or Houston are similarly naive?

Re: the smaller DZ's, I wouldn't cut them any slack on this issue. Skydiving is a VERY small industry, and DZO is one of the rarest jobs in that industry. There aren't that many of them out there, and you can bet they sure as hell know what's going on. I mean really, this is 2010, and even if the DZO isn't online, 90% of the staff and fun jumpers are, and they all talk about everything skydiving. On top of that, once the USPA had to bend over a pay out that cash to Skyride, it suddenly became everyone's business.

That's the really sad part about this whole thing. Skydiving is such a small industry, and fighting Skyride is on an even smaller scale. Take SoCal for example - if you could get Perris, Elisinore, and Skydive San Diego to all agree to dump Skyride, they could easily contact the all of the smaller SoCal DZ's and literally strongarm them in to playing along.

Sure, you tell them that you'll drop the prices, advertise in their backyard, steal all their staff, etc. unless they agree to refuse to get into bed with Skyride. Yeah, it's a little mafia, but the end result is back to being a level playing field for everyone where nobody takes Skyride, and everyone makes 100% of the profits again.

It would only take a half dozen groups of these 'brothers in arms' to cut Skyride's DZ list in half, and each of these groups would only require a handful of DZOs to work together. It's such a simple proposition that would be good for everyone in the end.

There's no excuse for just rolling over and taking what Skyride is giving. No excuse.

I'll just reply to myself here, but that's actually a really good idea I had in my last post. Why don't we see if we can't get the DZOs to agree just to drop the Skyride business all together?

They would surely like to see 100% of their profits going back into their pockets, and as I;ve mentioned before, Skyride isn't actually bringing new customers into skydiving, they're just garbbing onto people who are already interested in jumping and searching for info on the net.

If there was no Skyride to intercept them, they would just end up at their local DZ website anyway. Losing Skyride doesn't mean losing business. In truth, if Skyride is taking 20% of the price of a tandem (I heard it's $40 a head, right?), a DZO who drops Skyride could lose 20% of the business, and still make the same amount of money at the end of the day, with 20% less work. If they lose 10% of the business, their revenues are up 10% without Skyride's hand in their till. It's a win/win all around.

Anyone interested in giving this a shot? If everyone took a DZ or two in their home state, and made it their business to speak to the DZO, and see if they would play ball, that would be a start.

We could go on to draft a letter of 'solidarity', outlining the expectations, and 'start' date where Skyride would become persona non grata at their DZ.

I think this is a good time to look into this. Much of the country is gearing up for Safety Day, which would be a great time to bring this issue up with the management, staff, and fun jumpers. Let them know the deal, and that an effort is in place to unilaterally dump Skyride and see what the general response is.

Seeing as Skyride raped the USPA for all that cash, and now Arizona has levied a $6M dollar fine against them, it's quite clear to all that this is not the way our industry should be run. It might have seemed like a good idea at one time, but that time is long past. Let's stop the bleeding, and just cut this thing off at the stump.

Here's how we get started, everyone who wants to help needs to identify local DZs, and agree to be ressponsible for working with the DZO and getting them on board. We need someone for every DZ, not just Skyride affiliated DZs because part of the plan is that the DZOs know that NOBODY will be taking up with Skyride, and they can be secure that if they drop them, the field will be (and remain) level for all.

Anyone? Anyone?

Why don't we see if we can't get the DZOs to agree just to drop the Skyride business all together?

I hate to sound like Mr. Negative here and I in no way, shape or form support what Skyride does, nor am I coming down on you Davelepka. However, I do live in the real world as do the DZOs. This very subject was brought up at the first PIA symposium in Reno with a room full of DZOs and DZ owners, some that took and still take SRGCs and others that adamantly don't and still don't.

Do you want to know why what you proposed will not work(rhetorical)? Like many things in this world, at the end of the day it's all about the mighty dollar for some. And that's what came out of an actual face to face meeting in a room full of these people(peers) who take SRGCs and those who do not. The excuse always heard was " Well if I don't take it(SRGC), the customer will go to DZ X and they will take it and I get nothing" and " I don't get a lot of them but every once in a while doesn't hurt as it's income". The DZOs are running a business and as far as some of them are concerned any influx of cash or mechanism that brings in cash to them is seen as a plus and thats why some DZs still accept SRGCs. That's what some consider a win/win situation. You want to try and convince a business person(DZO) not to make money, that won't happen.

Plain and simple, it's easy for us to figure out how to solve the problem on the internet but it doesn't take into account human nature and the very people you speak of have said, in public, where they stand on this issue. The only way( and it's not really an option for some or one many follow through on)to influence these people who still take SRGCs even after the court decision, is to influence their cash flow by not jumping at their DZs. Take your skydiving business elsewhere until they stop taking SRGCs. I'm not the first to say that, it's been said before and some people have done just that(kudos to those people), some have said they would do that and have done nothing, and many have not because they want to be able to jump and they feel the problem doesn't really affect them, or so they rationalize to themselves.

It's about apathy really, the average skydiver is in the sport for 3-5 years and considers this a recreational activity and nothing more. Further proof of that is found in the fact that only about 10% of the USPA members actually take the time to vote in USPA elections. The average skydiver simply doesn't care. I know it sounds crass and jaded but its the truth of the matter.

Human nature; The mighty dollar; Apathy. Thats why it hasn't worked to date. But I still think it's worth trying to do something to make it better for everyone, even the apathetic masses.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

On the other hand, maybe, just maybe, if the effort was well enough organized, it could be made to happen.

A less drastic, step by step approach might have a chance.

Maybe we begin with getting the DZOs to agree that they support the effort in principle.

Not all the DZOs would get on the list right away. That's not a problem.

Don't make them actually stop taking the certificates until such time as all the dropzones in a region have signed on for the program.

Then, when you finally have all the dropzones agreeing in principle, you get everybody to agree on some date in the future on which to pull the plug on Skyride in their area.

Dave basically said the same thing, except that I've put more stress on getting everybody to agree before moving to the next phase.

Again, doesn't have to be immediately. But once all agree in principle, there is a hope of actually accomplishing the goal.

Maybe once a DZO sees the list growing, he will be more inclined to join the effort. When he sees that it could work, maybe it will have a better chance.

Lou, I agree that you can't get a DZO who accepts the certificates now to stop if he expects that business will be lost.

But maybe, when you show him that the entire region is ready and willing, maybe then, he would be willing too.

Taking it one step at a time might make it a real possibility.

And, there is really little to lose in trying to make it happen this way. Nobody needs to spend much money, or maybe any money at all. Certainly not at the beginning. Maybe not at all.

Next question.

Would such an effort to organize be at any risk of becoming the target of a suit alleging anti-competitive business practices?

If a DZO worries that much about losing tandems by dropping Skyride, then give them info on how to market his/her DZ more effectively in their area in a way that their websites come up prominently in a google search, among other things... I am not web-saavy in that regard, but I agree that just getting the DZO to drop out of Skyride may not be enough. You'd need to have a way to make up the difference that would convince them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll just reply to myself here, but that's actually a really good idea I had in my last post. Why don't we see if we can't get the DZOs to agree just to drop the Skyride business all together?

They would surely like to see 100% of their profits going back into their pockets, and as I;ve mentioned before, Skyride isn't actually bringing new customers into skydiving, they're just garbbing onto people who are already interested in jumping and searching for info on the net.

If there was no Skyride to intercept them, they would just end up at their local DZ website anyway. Losing Skyride doesn't mean losing business. In truth, if Skyride is taking 20% of the price of a tandem (I heard it's $40 a head, right?), a DZO who drops Skyride could lose 20% of the business, and still make the same amount of money at the end of the day, with 20% less work. If they lose 10% of the business, their revenues are up 10% without Skyride's hand in their till. It's a win/win all around.

Anyone interested in giving this a shot? If everyone took a DZ or two in their home state, and made it their business to speak to the DZO, and see if they would play ball, that would be a start.

We could go on to draft a letter of 'solidarity', outlining the expectations, and 'start' date where Skyride would become persona non grata at their DZ.

I think this is a good time to look into this. Much of the country is gearing up for Safety Day, which would be a great time to bring this issue up with the management, staff, and fun jumpers. Let them know the deal, and that an effort is in place to unilaterally dump Skyride and see what the general response is.

Seeing as Skyride raped the USPA for all that cash, and now Arizona has levied a $6M dollar fine against them, it's quite clear to all that this is not the way our industry should be run. It might have seemed like a good idea at one time, but that time is long past. Let's stop the bleeding, and just cut this thing off at the stump.

Here's how we get started, everyone who wants to help needs to identify local DZs, and agree to be ressponsible for working with the DZO and getting them on board. We need someone for every DZ, not just Skyride affiliated DZs because part of the plan is that the DZOs know that NOBODY will be taking up with Skyride, and they can be secure that if they drop them, the field will be (and remain) level for all.

Anyone? Anyone?

I love the ides but take ohio for an example..... they all accept skyride. The problem is DZO's in certain areas are very cut throat. I know in Ohio that if they all said no skyride..... sure as shit at least one would accept them still. That or they all would still be taking skyride biz. My DZ takes skyride and I HATE it especially when the few that we get are from a couple states over??? That is horrible! We are a former big DZ that is now a 182 DZ and I do see the point of taking them to make some money when you are struggling but at the same time we get 3-4 a year so I don't think it would hurt us that much. All I know is skyride sucks and I wish we didn't take them.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I love the ideas but take ohio for an example..... they all accept skyride. The problem is DZO's in certain areas are very cut throat. I know in Ohio that if they all said no skyride..... sure as shit at least one would accept them still. That or they all would still be taking skyride biz. My DZ takes skyride and I HATE it especially when the few that we get are from a couple states over??? That is horrible! We are a former big DZ that is now a 182 DZ and I do see the point of taking them to make some money when you are struggling but at the same time we get 3-4 a year so I don't think it would hurt us that much. All I know is skyride sucks and I wish we didn't take them.

Could you go back to that DZ list and check it? There are at least two DZs in Ohio that don't accept them. Greene County is shown as unconfirmed but the DZO contacted me yesterday saying they don't take them. We haven't made the change yet.

http://www.1800skyrideripoff.com/dzs/

Could you go back to that DZ list and check it? There are at least two DZs in Ohio that don't accept them. Greene County is shown as unconfirmed but the DZO contacted me yesterday saying they don't take them. We haven't made the change yet.

DMO's and DZM's, PM me the info for that and all the DZ's and I'll get them on the page. Please include the DZ name, Website, Airport name with designator, physical address, phone number, email and distance to the nearest major city. (only 1 city please)
And please proof read the listings once we get them on there and pm me with any corrections that need to be made.
DZO's, This page is for you and your DZ's, It does show up on Page 1 of Google for a lot of search words, and is here to help keep sLyride from scooping up customers that are rightfully yours. It's free, We encourage you to take advantage of it...

Thanks,,,
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I love the ideas but take ohio for an example..... they all accept skyride. The problem is DZO's in certain areas are very cut throat. I know in Ohio that if they all said no skyride..... sure as shit at least one would accept them still. That or they all would still be taking skyride biz. My DZ takes skyride and I HATE it especially when the few that we get are from a couple states over??? That is horrible! We are a former big DZ that is now a 182 DZ and I do see the point of taking them to make some money when you are struggling but at the same time we get 3-4 a year so I don't think it would hurt us that much. All I know is skyride sucks and I wish we didn't take them.

Billy,

My bad one doesn't by the list but in the Cincy area which are all the other DZ's they all do. If GC doesn't now that is news to me because I was told they took them last season. I could be wrong though. Anyway you know I hate Skyride and I am going to talk to my DZO about not accepting them anymore. I'm just saying it is tough.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Skydive Greene County does not deal with skyride.

I thought Jim was taking them? I guess I am wrong.

Well I hate it because the DZ that is now 15 miles away from us does. Again, I still don't think we should take them nor should the other DZ. [:/]

Well I hate it because the DZ that is now 15 miles away from us does. Again, I still don't think we should take them nor should the other DZ. [:/]

The answer is, They DO NOT accept sLyride!, I just called and posed as a customer with a slyride GC. They even tried to educate me about the subject. Overall, very professional and very nice people!B|
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

The answer is, They DO NOT accept sLyride!, I just called and posed as a customer with a slyride GC. They even tried to educate me about the subject. Overall, very professional and very nice people!B|

I just said I was wrong. Damn.... :P GC jumpers are good ppl!

Nice! now you just made a group of people at that DZ think that skyride ripped off someone in the area. You misrepresented yourself and skyride. Thats called fraud.

Well, finally we have a Skyride supporter getting in here to try to do the ole 4 "D's"!

Don't even think you are going to divert, distract, deflect, or deceive the attention for one second! I called them myself last Thursday and they told me the same thing, so that was nothing but a wasted post that you just made! Go back and play with your Skyride buddies and let the big dogs discuss this subject!