nigel99

Freefall/Paraglider collision

I suppose technically this is an incident but since I found it on youtube and know nothing about it here seemed more applicable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-83reY31qaM&NR=1

It looks like there were 2 separate incidents - and if the final comment is to be believed I am surprised the skydiver wasn't injured he certainly damaged the glider.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

it appeared to be something like the original Soul Flyers where they had some guys with either skydiving grear or BASE gear where they were riding with the paragliders and they exited off into freefall and one of the jumpers in freefall directly impacted a paraglider. I'm sure the jumper was ok since he deployed, but does anyone know what happened to the paraglider...or did his canopy return to normal flight?

Pardon my french, but that fucking retard tracked straight at that paraglider.

On a lighter note, I like the single riser set-up on the paraglider round reserve. Very cargo-like, but also a good way to keep things simple down toward the jumper where there might be canopy/lines/harness parts, etc. Seems like a smart way to keep the reserve and lines clear of any mess.

it appeared to be something like the original Soul Flyers where they had some guys with either skydiving grear or BASE gear where they were riding with the paragliders and they exited off into freefall and one of the jumpers in freefall directly impacted a paraglider. I'm sure the jumper was ok since he deployed, but does anyone know what happened to the paraglider...or did his canopy return to normal flight?

I watched the video a few times and the skydivers exited from the microlights which you can see at the beginning and at exit time (look like hang gilders)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Pardon my french, but that fucking retard tracked straight at that paraglider.

On a lighter note, I like the single riser set-up on the paraglider round reserve. Very cargo-like, but also a good way to keep things simple down toward the jumper where there might be canopy/lines/harness parts, etc. Seems like a smart way to keep the reserve and lines clear of any mess.

Looks like they were orbiting each other and not looking out for the flock of para-gliders that they should have known were beneath them.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The bottome line is the skydivers should not have jumped into that airspace.

The video shows a lot of paraglider traffic and there is no reason for skydivers to invade occupied space.

My vote:

Dumbasses. Lucky dumbasses.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The bottome line is the skydivers should not have jumped into that airspace.

The video shows a lot of paraglider traffic and there is no reason for skydivers to invade occupied space.

My vote:

Dumbasses. Lucky dumbasses.

I'd like to say that this was a stunt or show coordinated between all participants. Why? You got me.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'd like to say that this was a stunt or show coordinated between all participants. Why? You got me.

You're probably right, Doug, but it seems they chose the wrong jumpers if that's the case. :S
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Regular rig or base rig?

the rig depends on the altitude you can get. Don't plan on getting higher than your take-off altitude. The reason is : is the PG pilot willing to fly a tandem wing in thermal/dynamic conditions ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Regular rig or base rig?

If in the US, wouldn't FAA regs require a rig with at least 2 canopies on a jump from any kind of aircraft? Wouldn't a PG be considered an aircraft for that purpose? If so, I'd think it would not be a good idea for anyone to openly admit that a skydive from a PG was made with a base rig. All hypothetically, of course.

Regular rig or base rig?

If in the US, wouldn't FAA regs require a rig with at least 2 canopies on a jump from any kind of aircraft? Wouldn't a PG be considered an aircraft for that purpose? If so, I'd think it would not be a good idea for anyone to openly admit that a skydive from a PG was made with a base rig. All hypothetically, of course.

I was wondering the same thing.

Is a PG considered an aircraft?
I would think so.

It opens the door for requiring a commercial license to charge people to jump, gear requirements, NOTAM reqs and a bunch of other legal nitpicking.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Regular rig or base rig?

you could jump with a BASER rig (or whatever it is called), TSO'd Base rig with a reserve.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Regular rig or base rig?

you could jump with a BASER rig (or whatever it is called), TSO'd Base rig with a reserve.

I've no doubt. But I'd guess that the FAA would probably frown on jumping any 1-canopy rig from a PG in the US.

In Europe ... lots without wingsuit ... I've personaly never seen one with ...... yet but I bet it;s been done ... The Swiss and Frenchies have been pulling P.G stunts for yearsB|

P.S I fly Tandem and would only do it on a non-thermic day (or morning/evening) as flying a lightly loaded Tandem P.G can be um ....... "interesting":) ... I would also put a 'stirup (say a climbers sling) on the passenger seat and put my foot on it during the exit, so that it does not come back and hit me in the gob when you leave.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I will be using my regular skydiving rig. It was probably bad form to ask if JP had used a BASE rig, I didn't really think about the regulations before I asked that question. I am still curious as to where this has been done before.

Yes, tandem PG jumps have been done many times both with and w/o the WS.

I am still curious...

I wonder if you know anyone at all who may or may not have any information about paraglider or hang glider jumps?

---

About the jump in the video. Yep, major screw up. It looks like the guy who hit the paraglider was back tracking. The other guy turns away when he realized that doom was imminent.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto