hcsvader

Why so much classic accuracy hatred?

Ok.. I am preparing for accuracy meets this summer and have been doing alot of accuracy jumps. Lately I have been catching crap from other skydivers. I have been called that accuracy dude at the DZ. I am a decent canopy pilot and am working on swooping too. I try to incorporate all facets of skydiving into my "regime". Just curious why if you are seen doing "accuracy stuff" you are hated on lately? :P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Skydivers hate or fear what they do not understand.

Young skydivers especially fear classic accuracy because it holds them to too simple a standard: a tiny disc.

Swoopers can "B****S" all they want about their "sick 970," or "killer deadman," or "awesome swoop" but very few of them can consistently "nail" the first set of gates.

Next time swoopers lip you off, challenge them on how many times they flew through the first set of gates ... during their last dozen jumps.

Or challenge them to some zone accuracy. Loser buys beverages!

I seems like you and the guy that was asking the same question about RW have discovered some thing in common.

Accuracy and RW require work, and most everybody just wants to have fun.

That being said, the year the Majik won the nationals six years ago or so, I watched them train in the tunnel in Orlando for hours.

That precision 4-way impressed me as a rocking thing to do.

And, anybody that can land with their heal on a disk that's smaller then quarter has achieved a phenomenal degree of skill.

Even better approach. An old fart who's worked on accuracy over the years, and shit-hot napkin swooper (with mad skilz) each have to make out landings in a congested commercial area where the only "safer" landing spots are a couple of postage-stamp sized spots with hazards all around. Who's more likely to stay un-broken?

In spite of the appearance of huge egos in this sport, for a lot of people it's just a front. Plain and simple insecurity.
In other words "I do what I do to be cool. If you're doing something else, it doesn't reinforce that what I'm doing is cool." This causes me to doubt my "coolness". Therefore I must challenge what you're doing to in the attempt to reinforce my own weak self-concept of my "coolness".
That, or if you're at a Cessna DZ, they're just tired of doing all those 3-ways.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

there was a time when a Dozen or more people on the DZ could have been called, "that accuracy Dude"..........every DZ had a pea gravel target
and if it was a 182 dropzone, then there were less issues with skies crowded with canopies, and setting up a run at the target was easy..
Places which did static line training usually had jumpmasters,, who enjoyed following the last one out, at 3,200 feet and heading for the target.. i know I did... :)Today classic accuracy CAN become subjected to laughs, or chuckles , or snickering by Non -affecionados....but most of it is in good fun, and in jest....

fact is....many classic accuracy approaches can get "interesting" at the end,,,[:/]
and for most of the Non National Caliber crowd, out there,, the occassional landing CAN be less than graceful......
people get nervous,, i think,,, when they see a jumper with his toggles down around his knees !!!!!... while set up on final,,, over the pit...150 feet off the ground....
The "one two three Flare!!!" crowd...sometimes has a hard time with real deep toggle placement,,,, anytime OTHER than at flare...B|
In fact,,, i agree....it sometimes rattles,, My nerves, to be there,, "sinking it in"...!!
hoping you have the wind situation dialed in....

Thankfully, as is the case with all disciplines of our sport,,, specialized gear and techniques have been developed,, and most classic accuracy jumpers use LARGE... "mucho square footage " canopies...

If done over a tuffet, the 'hard landing " consideration can be lessened...

have always loved shooting accuracy.. We used to have 3 or 4 meets a year!!! each area dropzone hosting,, one month to the next..At first all the canopies were Para Commanders or Papillons,, we even had a cheapo category...Interest in reversing the downwind trend, and shooting accuray upwind,,, helped to encourage the newly emerging ram Air era....Most of the first new square pilots,,at least around here...were the accuracy guys...:|
then we started having RW Meets and the accuracy faded..
Then there came TAndems!!!! and the meets all ended........
because everybody was always too busy . " working tandems".
I most always enjoy flying my parachute descent, in such a way, that IF i can ease into the flow of traffic, near the pea gravel,,,, i'm gonna complete my jump with an accuracy approach....
I even step on the disc once in a while, too!!!;);)

jmy
a 3914
d12122

but very few of them can consistently "nail" the first set of gates.

Next time swoopers lip you off, challenge them on how many times they flew through the first set of gates ... during their last dozen jumps.

Ok, you got me, I verted on one of the last dozen. Sorry.

The moral of the story is to be a good competitive accuracy jumper it takes time, effort and very specific practice. To be a good competitive swooper it takes time, effort and very specific practice.

Out of your last dozen jumps, how may did you land on a 10cm disc?;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Even better approach. An old fart who's worked on accuracy over the years, and shit-hot napkin swooper (with mad skilz) each have to make out landings in a congested commercial area where the only "safer" landing spots are a couple of postage-stamp sized spots with hazards all around. Who's more likely to stay un-broken?

The guy who can do both. :)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's those stupid pointed heeled shoes the C.A. gangs wears trying to be special, always poking everyone on the shins in the plane before their fat asses get out of the plane, that and those slow ass big boat of parachute those twits use blocking up the swoop lanes and hovering around the LZ all day in the way, plus they smell funny, well all that and the fact they generally chill with those dizzy dizzy blue green crowd!

:P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

are we talking about both pilot using same canopy here???

old fart under velo
swooper under velo

or

old fart under classic
swooper under classic???

i'll take my chance with swooper who can probably fly both..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I love this place. Ask: "Cat or dog?", and sure enough someone will answer "Ferrets are good."

:D:D but when asked a simple question like that, folks around here are WAY more random than that ........ I prefer vacuum cleaners.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's those stupid pointed heeled shoes the C.A. gangs wears trying to be special, always poking everyone on the shins in the plane before their fat asses get out of the plane,

it's the shoes - it's just creepy,

yet fascinating,,,,,,:ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In my 35+ years of jumping everyone has always given everyone else crap for whatever they do. It is part of the fun. It isn't hate, but more like "I don't want to do that, so I'll make fun of you for doing it.". I have always viewed it as good natured under it all.

Surely one thing that skydiving should have taught you is not to care.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

> it is way old school and swooping has evolved, which is much more
>interesting for spectators.

From looking around at demos, spectators are far more impressed by a slow accuracy landing than a swoop landing. During accuracy landings, you see people watching the (steep) approach and then craning their necks to see how close he got to the target. During swoops, half the people miss them because of the odd angle, and the other half ask "what was that?" Actually overheard one guy ask "why couldn't that jumper slow himself down? What's he doing wrong?"

I heard this exact quote yesterday from one of our students! I was trying to explain what was happening, and he wasn't having any of it.:D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

In my 35+ years of jumping everyone has always given everyone else crap for whatever they do. It is part of the fun. It isn't hate, but more like "I don't want to do that, so I'll make fun of you for doing it.". I have always viewed it as good natured under it all.

Surely one thing that skydiving should have taught you is not to care.

So no one has caught on that I was poking fun at the "RW hatred" thread. You gys are either losing it or just like to debate any skydiving related topic:P

Next topic. Balloon suit vs wingsuit:D
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

So no one has caught on that I was poking fun at the "RW hatred" thread. You guys are either losing it or just like to debate any skydiving related topic:P

~~No, I was busy cleaning gravel outta my hard toggles and sharpening my shoes! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Seems like outside of swooping everyone should aim for accuracy on a regular basis, if not every landing.

If you are going to start learning how to land "fast as fuck", you're gonna first want to be able to land where you intend to. Every time.

Agreed.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----