Hovergirl

Tiny Parachutes?

I've been out of skydiving for many years and am going to start jumping again very soon, but while looking at what is available for used gear...it seems that parachutes are getting smaller and smaller.

The smallest I've ever jumped was 200sq ft. Now I see canopies under 100sq ft!

What is up!

I'm too old to jump tiny gear I need something with soft openings and softer touchdowns.

Hovergirl

I've been out of skydiving for many years and am going to start jumping again very soon, but while looking at what is available for used gear...it seems that parachutes are getting smaller and smaller.

Hoo R U? How long have you been out? What kind of shape are you in? How many jumps did you have before?

Lot of variables to decide what's best for you. And No, not everyone is jumping a 2 digit canopy. There's plenty of big fatties out there to land you soft. :)

Lot of variables to decide what's best for you. And No, not everyone is jumping a 2 digit canopy. There's plenty of big fatties out there to land you soft. :)

hey, hey careful you light weight, I'm a big fattie, 225, and jump a 150 Cobalt :D:D

if a large canopy is what is needed then there are some great ones out there, a Pilot is a super choice

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

standard canopy sizes with f-111 fabric pretty much started at 200 and went up, although there were a few 180 square ft. canopies around (or even smaller with some of the square reserves). So in the 80's even if you weighed 150 it wasn't unusual to jump a fury or cruiselite or another of the 220 knockoffs such as the merlin or osprey. Unit, I think, was 210.

With the advent of zero-p fabric however, and more advanced airfoils, it is quite simple to get down to a 1 to 1 wingloading without risk, depending on the canopy choice. If you liked how 7-cells flew, I am partial to the triathlon by aerodyne (also good for crw) but there are other relatively tame canopies out there such as the pilot, sabre, etc. If you're at one of the bigger dz's, or can get to one, there are always demo canopies available.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

We really do need to know your weight & experience. Sounds like you may even have been jumping back in F-111 days.

Zero Porosity fabric allowed for much better designs to evolve.

Many of them actually open a lot smoother and slower than traditional F-111 canopies.

And once you get used to their flying characteristics and the typically higher approach speeds (assuming some downsizing going on), the landings will actually be easier and softer.

And get ready to get your head on a swivel. Dying under a perfectly good canopy has become extremely popular, given that we aren't all floating around under 220 sq ft boats any more.

What is up!

I'm too old to jump tiny gear I need something with soft openings and softer touchdowns.

Hovergirl

How old is too old? I'm 64, 190 pounds out the door and jump a 135 sq ft canopy. I know a 70y/o guy who jumps a smaller canopy than me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thank you all for the responses! I've been out of the sport since the Winter of 1994. I've only made 112 jumps and yes they were all on F111. Sabre's were out at the the time but I never got to jump one.

I'm not really old, only 51 but I still don't want to get beaten up by something that is supposed to be fun.

Height and weight are 5ft 4in and 165 (not fat just solid!)

Thanks again,

Hovergirl

Pleanty of stuff in the classifieds if you go through a few pages of ads. If it isnt anything you want right just now then keep your eyes open and you'll find something. Best bet is to go to your local gear dealer and see what he/she has for sale using your instructors advice for size/type.:)

Muff #5048

Thank you all for the responses! I've been out of the sport since the Winter of 1994. I've only made 112 jumps and yes they were all on F111. Sabre's were out at the the time but I never got to jump one.

I'm not really old, only 51 but I still don't want to get beaten up by something that is supposed to be fun.

Height and weight are 5ft 4in and 165 (not fat just solid!)

Thanks again,

Hovergirl

Your experience (112 jumps) is going to be the limiting factor, not your age.

Actually age IS a limiting factor..

The older you get the slower and less reactive (both mentally and physically) you get, thus becoming a bigger danger to others, specially in skydiving..

Leave this to the young generation B|

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

The older you get the slower and less reactive (both mentally and physically) you get, thus becoming a bigger danger to others, specially in skydiving..

I sincerely hope you are joking!

I sincerely hope you are joking!

Sangi is an authority on everything and a complete expert on nothing. Any advice given by him can be instantly written off! Don't worry about it.

Go to your DZ, talk to the instructors there, they'll help you get current on something appropriate. Then you get to enjoy demoing various canopies from various manufactures to decide what canopy suits your desires and abilities! This is something to be excited about, not something to loathe.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What Kallend said is true -- your experience is a more limiting factor. I came back after 13 years off in my mid-40's; I kept jumping my big original gear until I found the perfect deal, and then downsized to it.

One thing to consider with everyone jumping smaller canopies is that landing discipline is far more important than it was in the 80's at least (which was when I effectively quit). You have to at least consider the presence of a landing pattern; you have to fly in it when you're in its area, and you have to take it into account when you're not able to land in its area.

Enjoy coming back

And yeah -- ignore Sangi; he just likes stirring shit. Most of the other people in this thread jump a whole lot more than he does :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am 54 and was out for 16 years, came back to skydiving in 2003. Don't let anyone stop you from coming back. I know it was the best thing I ever did.

Yes parachutes are different now and other things too, but what makes skydiving great is the people and though the faces have changed the people are the same.

Get your butt out to a dropzone, tell them your story and let them help you figure out what you need to do to come back. There is always rental gear available and the only advice I will give you as you come back is that bigger is better. You've got all the time in the world to downsize when the time is right.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hi all! Thank you for the words of encouragement, you cannot imagine how much I appreciate it!

I've found a DZ and will be jumping their student gear for a while....Manta's that should be plenty big.

Seems like an excellent bunch of people there, I met them because I'm going to be flying jumpers for them as well!

So anyway thanks for all of your comments.

Hovergirl

John Kalland is really old and really heavy for someone his age. We love him anyway and he gives great advice. L.T.

You're just sore that I out-tracked you at SOS last year:P