Maxx

Becoming unconscious under open canopy

And I have serious doubts about anyone's ability to predict that they are about to pass out. If they can do that, it's probably because they have some medical condition which they've experienced repeatedly before. And if that's the case, they shouldn't be jumping to start with. Ack!

Agreed...The only time I've seen anyone who knew they were going to black out, they were being choked. I imagine this would be the same method of action(lack of blood flow to brain) as your femoral arteries etc getting blocked by leg straps. They lose control of their limbs and get tunnel vision on their way to blacking out. How they could get into the wind, or know where the hell the wind OR ground is, is beyond me.

And if you've ever seen someone regain conciousness after being choked, they flop around like a fish...would not make for a pretty landing either way.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Canopies don't "know" if they are upwind or downwind. They will turn or not turn depending on trim, not direction of winds aloft.

Variations in wind speed will have minor affects on velocity magnitude and direction.

Ahhh, variations in windspeed? So a steady wind would not make the canopy turn downwind, right?:P

Sorry, but there is no weathervane effect or turning downwind effect on canopies in freeflight, or for any other aircraft. That was figured out and proven years ago. Enjoy your mathematical modeling. You obviously remember more math from college than I do.

When canopies turn downwind, they haul ass(duh). Maybe that makes people think that turning downwind is the canopy's nature, cause they go so fast when they do. . . .

>Maybe that makes people think that turning downwind is the canopy's nature . . .

People think canopies always turn downwind because when they are near the ground and headed into the wind, any built-in turn or gust of wind will cause them to turn downwind. (Of course, if they were headed downwind near the ground, the canopy would tend to turn upwind just as readily, but few people do that.)

The canopy is in a column of air - it doesn't know what that column is doing relative to the ground. Relative to the canopy the column isn't doing anything at all.

The canopy will simply chug through the column of air at 15mph (ish) irrespective of which way the column is moving relative to the ground.

they both sound correct. it depends if the brakes are set, right?
if one were to lose consciousness.. wouldn't the body just slump, then turn in which ever way the body is leaning? like using your risers to turn...
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Sorry, but there is no weathervane effect or turning downwind effect on canopies in freeflight, or for any other aircraft. That was figured out and proven years ago. Enjoy your mathematical modeling. You obviously remember more math from college than I do.

Consider the asymetrical shape of the airfoil profile. There is significantly more surface area on the front half of the profile than the back half. Any cross wind component is going to apply moore force to the front of the canopy than the back. This force differential will rotate the canopy about the vertical axis upon which the CG lies.

In fairness, the shape of the stabilizer can mitigate these effects. But certainly we cannot say that a canopy will not ever orient itself in a particular direction relative to the wind velocity.

Ahhh, variations in windspeed? So a steady wind would not make the canopy turn downwind, right?

In the unlikely event you ever get to fly in a windmass with zero accelleration, regardles of location, and you are pointed exactly into the wind, there would be no torque applied to your canopy to change your heading.

For Great Deals on Gear

The canopy is in a column of air - it doesn't know what that column is doing relative to the ground. Relative to the canopy the column isn't doing anything at all.

The canopy will simply chug through the column of air at 15mph (ish) irrespective of which way the column is moving relative to the ground.

True if and only if the velocity of the canopy and the velocity of the airmass are constantly parallel (remember, zero pilot input). These condtions are nonexistent in real world scenarios. We live in a world of Calculus, not Algebra.

For Great Deals on Gear

You've done the calculations, right? What is the maximum realistic turn rate of a canopy due to wind gusts? How long would it take, under worst case but jumpable conditions, for a canopy to turn 180 degrees purely due to the yaw moment caused by a crosswind component?

I simply don't believe gusts cause canopies to turn downwind... at least not enough for it to matter. But assuming you are right, you'd still prefer an unconscious downwinder into an open field with 20 knot wind than an upwind/crosswind descent into a tree?

Dave

>I simply don't believe gusts cause canopies to turn downwind...

They literally do, if you're facing upwind. Of course, if you're facing downwind, then gusts turn you upwind. The key is that gusts turn you, not that they turn you any particular direction.

Of course, if you're facing downwind, then gusts turn you upwind. The key is that gusts turn you, not that they turn you any particular direction.

I'm not understanding why the asymetrical shape of the airfoil profile is not going to affect how the canopy is oriented in the wind with zero pilot input. What force is balancing everything back out? From what I can tell, there ar far too many variables to be able to say this is always going to happen, or this is never going to happen.

For Great Deals on Gear

A canopy is not just a flat plate shaped like an airfoil free to weathervane in a gust. What gust factor are you modeling in your calculations? I'm sure a canopy will do some very interesting things in strong gusts including change shape, but we try not to jump in those kinds of conditions.

Geometrically, the front half of a canopy's airfoil does have more surface area. But what is the axis upon which a crosswind will create a yawing moment? It'll be the aerodynamic center, right? Where does that lie? How does the 3-dimensional shape of a canopy compared to the 2-dimensional airfoil shape change the situation?

What happens when you touch down in a crosswind and let go of your toggles while your canopy is over your head? Does it, without any input, yaw downwind?

Dave

>What force is balancing everything back out?

In pitch and roll there are very strong forces balancing everything out.

In yaw (i.e. heading) there aren't any forces that return you to a given heading. So if you lean one way in the harness, it will turn, whether you're facing upwind or downwind. And if you hit a gust that tries to weathervane the canopy left, that will happen whether you are facing upwind or downwind.

In pitch and roll there are very strong forces balancing everything out.

I don't think we are visualizing the same system. I am referring strictly to yaw, not pitch or roll.

If since the airfoil profile is not symetrical, the effect will not be identical with two different headings relative to the wind velocity. And, any crosswind component will apply torque to the canopy, about a vertical axis.

For Great Deals on Gear

>If since the airfoil profile is not symetrical, the effect will not be
>identical with two different headings relative to the wind velocity.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. All canopies I have seen are symmetrical along their longitudinal axis. In other words, the left side is a mirror image of the right. Are you saying that canopies weathervane into the wind? If so, I agree. But all they can see is _relative,_ not absolute, wind. You can be flying across the jet stream, with winds of 100mph moving you sideways, and your canopy will happily fly straight ahead - because all it sees is its own relative wind.

>If since the airfoil profile is not symetrical, the effect will not be
>identical with two different headings relative to the wind velocity.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. All canopies I have seen are symmetrical along their longitudinal axis. In other words, the left side is a mirror image of the right. Are you saying that canopies weathervane into the wind? If so, I agree. But all they can see is _relative,_ not absolute, wind. You can be flying across the jet stream, with winds of 100mph moving you sideways, and your canopy will happily fly straight ahead - because all it sees is its own relative wind.

The planform is symetrical about the front/back axis. The front of the airfoil is not symetrical with the rear of the airfoil, about the left/right axis. This has the effect of allowing a rotation when the air is resisted differentially when it comes accellerating from the side. Rarely will the accelleration be exactly parallel with the velocity of the canopy relative to the airmass.

Air masses do not move in a constant manner. It is a giant 4D vector field in which we fly our canopies, with lots of different velocities. There is nothing constant about it. Our canopies have to react to all that relative accelleration. They are going to weathervane in the direction of the average accelleration of the wind. There are many other factors that need to be considered that will determine whether that orientation is into the wind, or downwind; among them is where the CG is on the planform and the shape of the stabilizers.

I'm not understanding why the asymetrical shape of the airfoil profile is not going to affect how the canopy is oriented in the wind with zero pilot input. What force is balancing everything back out? From what I can tell, there ar far too many variables to be able to say this is always going to happen, or this is never going to happen.

The canopy doesn't 'know' it is flying crosswind or not. It is just flying in a box of air which happens to move relative to the earth. But that doesn't affect the canopy (or any airplane in general) at all.
The only force between the earth and the canopy+pilot is gravity, directed perfectly vertical towards the center of the planet. So there is no horizontal force at all.
Only if the speed at which your box of air is moving suddenly changes (gusts) the canopy briefly (=until it maches thes speed of the box) encounters a crosswind. At that short moment, I agree that a turn will be initiated in the way you describe. My guess is it will turn into the relative wind. (Why? Thats an a waaaay too long story...)
But moments later, when the gust is over (=the wind changes again but in the opposite direction), the opposite happens so the canopy will turn back to its original heading.

Now, to make things a bit complicated.....
Usually, the winds are much stronger at a higher altitude. So as we descend under canopy our box of air constantly changes its velocity.
Imagine the wind coming from the north and you flying towards the west. As you descend the change in windspeed causes a relative wind coming from the south!!!!! (think about that for a minute...)
The canopy will turn into its relative wind, which is south, which is downwind!!!!

Wow. When I started typing this I was totally convinced that canopies turning downwind by themselves was a bullshit story.... now what have I done:o:o:o:o

>This has the effect of allowing a rotation when the air is resisted
> differentially when it comes accellerating from the side. Rarely will
> the accelleration be exactly parallel with the velocity of the canopy
> relative to the airmass.

To summarize - canopies weathervane. I agree.

>Air masses do not move in a constant manner.

I also agree there. My point would be that the random movements in the air are as likely to turn you downwind as they are to turn you upwind.

I agree with you... I think.

Chris's theory is that a canopy will weathervane "backwards," causing the tail to turn toward the relative wind and the nose away from the relative wind (in a crosswind), right? The opposite of what, well, a weathervane would do which is point into the relative wind. If you literally had a weathervane shaped like a canopy, it would always want to point in the same direction as the wind, not into the wind.

I just don't think that's true though. If it was, any crosswind disturbance would tend to cause the canopy to turn away from the wind. It would mean canopies are unstable on the yaw axis. However they are not. When a canopy is disturbed in yaw, it corrects rather than veers off. Otherwise we'd have to constantly correct left or right as we fly along.

Imagine a plane with the vertical tail on the front. It could fly straight just fine, but when it yaws just a little, it will want to continue to yaw farther and farther until it's flying backwards. That's the situation chris would be describing if canopies did follow his model.

A gust from the left would cause the canopy to yaw right. A yaw to the right increases the crosswind component from the left, increasing the yaw moment to the right, and so on.

Dave

Otherwise we'd have to constantly correct left or right as we fly along.

We do, more on some days than others.

Bear in mind that we are discussing a situation in which there is zero pilot input. Most people, whether they are aware of it or not, make these very mimor corrections just by shifting their weight in the saddle. It is only when there is absolutely no pilot input that the effects will substantially accumulate.

For Great Deals on Gear

My point would be that the random movements in the air are as likely to turn you downwind as they are to turn you upwind

If the air mass has an average accelleration not equal to zero the movements are not really random at all. They tend to be in one direction more often than others. There should be a corresponding direction that a canopy is more likely to land in, with no input.

For Great Deals on Gear

Consider the asymetrical shape of the airfoil profile. There is significantly more surface area on the front half of the profile than the back half. Any cross wind component is going to apply moore force to the front of the canopy than the back. This force differential will rotate the canopy about the vertical axis upon which the CG lies.

In fairness, the shape of the stabilizer can mitigate these effects. But certainly we cannot say that a canopy will not ever orient itself in a particular direction relative to the wind velocity.

]

Okay, yes, a crosswind gust will make a canopy turn, but not necessarily downwind.

If you're upwind, you will turn downwind, like Billvon stated. If you're downwind, you'll turn upwind. It's a roll of the dice as to which way you'll be facing when you land. Agreed?

The canopy doesn't 'know' it is flying crosswind or not. It is just flying in a box of air which happens to move relative to the earth. But that doesn't affect the canopy (or any airplane in general) at all.

If a pilot wants to hold a given course and there is a crosswind component to deal with, the pilot must hold a different heading to keep the plane from drifting off down wind of the crosswind component. The only thing that counts is what you or your canopy is doing relative to the ground. If you put your canopy or a plane at a 45-degree angle to the relative wind, put the controls to natural and let go, the canopy or the plane will turn down wind. That is one of the reasons there are trim wheels on airpanes. The relative wind on the 45 degrees is greater than the relative wind on the nose of the plane or canopy. The slower the plane or canopy is moving, the greater the effect will be.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Crosswind will make your canopy fly sideways relative to the ground, but not relative to the wind.
I can't imagine any forces making the canopy turn. (again, in constant winds that is).

Relative is the keyword here. It doesn't make a difference if the air is moving relative to the ground, or if the ground is moving relative to the non-moving air. So what, if the ground is moving in any direction. Why would that affect my canopy?
(By the way, the ground IS moving fast, due to the earth's rotation ---- but it doesn't matter)

If you are trying to fly in a straight line over the ground in a crosswind you will have to fly at an angle, depending of the speed of the wind and the airspeed of the canopy. Ofcourse slow canopies are more affected than fast ones, just as higher winds have more effect.
As you get lower, the wind decreases (=it accelerates downwind when viewed from the cloud you were in a moment ago:P---it's the same thing) and the canopy will turn downwind.

In short, when flying (even slightly) crosswind, you will have to keep steering "into the wind".
Flying downwind doesn't require any extra input.

And for now: Time to do some experiments :)