BecomeAddicted

Health insurance before being licensed by the USPA?

Hi everyone! I've done 2 tandem jumps in the last month, and I absolutely loved it, so I am going to get licensed by the USPA after completing AFF training and the requisite number of jumps. However, here's my issue: my health insurance (which is through my mother's company -- I'll still be on her insurance until I am 24) excludes injuries caused by dangerous activities, including skydiving.

I read on the USPA site that once you are licensed, it includes insurance for bodily injury and property damage related to skydiving.... so it wouldn't even matter that my private insurance does not. Is that true?

Further, is there any way to get insurance while I'm still doing my first 25 jumps (i.e. before I'm licensed by the USPA)?

Thank you so much!

No, the USPA's insurance is not for YOU. Its for everyone else. It protects property and injury of OTHERS due to your actions.

You are 100% on your own for your own health insurance.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, but the insurance is not for you. Its in case you hurt someone else or damage property at a USPA affiliated DZ making a jump in accordance with the BSRs

Therefore, any injury you sustain is yours to deal with, much like you hitting a pole in your car while holding liability insurance.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

And on the other point about the time period before you get your license, well it isn't quite the license that says that insurance information on the back, it's the membership card, aka you need to have a USPA membership.
Most DZ's require you to becoming a member before AFF.
Stay high pull low

Ugh! That sucks! Thanks for the info though guys....

Any ideas of what to do regarding my own health insurance? Has anyone on here run into the same problem?

I've never had insurance. Be careful, don't get hurt, and if you do get hurt, self medicate!
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

if you break your leg tell them u were hiking or something

Hard to do that when the ambulance report lists the accident location.

It's also considered fraud.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if you break your leg tell them u were hiking or something

Hard to do that when the ambulance report lists the accident location.

It's also considered fraud.

In Texas it depends on the dollar amount, but if you ride in the ambulance to the ER, then you're in the felony amount range. If you ride in a helicopter then you're looking at the upper felony range.

But hey, if you used the search function and/or talked to an insurance agent, you'll probably find a provider to give you health insurance.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As for injuries and health insurance, heres my thought: Stupid Hurts. So dont be stupid and you'll likely enjoy the sport for many many years. Most of the jumpers I know have never had more then a bad sprain. (In fairness, I did say "most").

However in the event you hit a gopher hole and end up breaking a leg, have your buddies drop you off to the side of the road and call it in as a hit and run. .

If your so badly broken up that the DZ calls life-flight to get you to the closest trama unit then you probably arent going to care about the bill when it comes anyways.

Caution is healthy but your concern should be focused more on NOT getting hurt rather then how to pay the bill if you are. BILL SHMILL. Go jump, have fun and be smart about it.

Is it really legal for an Health insurance company to exclude skydiving injuries?

I know Life insurance companies may exclude many activities (although mine doesn't.)

As long as it is spelled out clearly (a very relative term) in the contract, then yes it's legal.

Most insurance has a list of "exclusions". For example my car insurance won't cover any accident not on a road. So if I take my truck out on a frozen lake to go ice fishing and drop it into the lake, my insurance won't cover it. It's clearly stated in the policy.

This is the first time I've heard of health insurance excluding dangerous activities. Usually they don't care how you got hurt, they just pay the doctor bills. But I'm not an insurance expert.

I have heard of disability insurance excluding those kinds of things. That's the policy that pays money to cover non-medical bills while you are off work due to injury. AFLAC is one of the better known ones, and I understand they recently included skydiving injuries in their coverage.

To the OP: Are you sure it's the medical insurance that excludes skydiving, not the disablility?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

In my personal opinion it is ludicrous to jump in a sport where severe sprains and broken ankles are relatively common, and more severe injuries are easily possible. From a social responsibility point it is piss poor to bust yourself up and expect the rest of us to care for you and foot your bill, just because you are too irresponsible to get health insurance.

/catastrophic health insurance really is NOT that much, and any break requiring surgery and pins will usually eclipse that, and let's not get into ICU stays...

//If you can't afford minimal health insurance to take care of yourself in an emergency, then from a fiscal responsibility standpoint, should you really be skydiving, where even a "simple" injury by our standards could leave you unable to work for weeks?

///I am not directing this mini-rant at any one person, or anyone in this thread. Just posing an opinion to be considered by the masses.

http://consumerist.com/2007/04/snl-skit-dont-buy-stuff-you-cant-afford.html

Life insurance providers also sometimes exclude skydiving. Their case is much clearer than the health insurance provider's.

Very true.

But people rarely confuse life insurance with anything else.

There's a lot of confusion about the differences between health and disability insuance

Life insurance providers also sometimes exclude skydiving. Their case is much clearer than the health insurance provider's.

Very true.

But people rarely confuse life insurance with anything else.

There's a lot of confusion about the differences between health and disability insuance

- True that. My health insurance covers me for anything, but I am carrying a high deductible since I am healthy.
- My short term work DI covers me, but only returns about 30-40% of my pretax income.
- After 90 days my long term DI kicks in to keep that up
- I have supplemental DI through NW Mutual - that replaces another 35-45% of my pretax income - however, the rider on that policy will only cover DI benefits from the first 24 months after initiation due to skydiving accidents. Restrictive, but a fair trade from an insurance standpoint.
- My life insurance covers me for skydiving accidents, however, it tripled my premiums when the rider for jumping was attached to it.

/I'm only 29, so I don't have much usage for it now, however my contract states I don't have to have another medical exam until turn 60, so I can develop diabetes and terminal cancer tomorrow and convert it to whole life with no questions asked.

//Make sure you know the differences between your policies, so you aren't hung out to dry in the case something goes wrong.[:/]

I've never had insurance. Be careful, don't get hurt, and if you do get hurt, self medicate!

So if you fracture an ankle (a very common injury) and it needs to be surgically repaired (as is often the case), you'll pay the +/- $30,000 in medical bills out of your own pocket?

So if you fracture an ankle (a very common injury) and it needs to be surgically repaired (as is often the case), you'll pay the +/- $30,000 in medical bills out of your own pocket?

Yep, you got it.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Is it really legal for an Health insurance company to exclude skydiving injuries?

Yes.

While HIPAA makes it illegal to keep people out of group plans due to hazardous activities, it still allows cause of injury exclusions.

Millions of horse people and motorcyclists have been unable to get that changed.

Yep, you got it.

Really? You'd rather risk that - and you guarantee us (and the hospital the meat wagon would haul you off to) that you'd pay it yourself - rather than pay a few hundred dollars a month on health insurance? I must have the word "idiot" written on my forehead. I better go wash it off.

Yep, you got it.

Really? You'd rather risk that - and you guarantee us (and the hospital the meat wagon would haul you off to) that you'd pay it yourself - rather than pay a few hundred dollars a month on health insurance? I must have the word "idiot" written on my forehead. I better go wash it off.

No, I wouldn't guarantee you or the healthcare facility anything, as I am not obligated to by law (like you must with auto insurance) Nor did I say I would.

Yes, I would rather risk it. The money you would save not having insurance (assuming you're healthy and invest the amount as I am/have) would pay for your $30000 surgery in 7.5 years.

Otherwise, if you don't get just injured, you get to keep the money.

The last bit of your post seems a bit rude.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Yep, you got it.

No, I wouldn't guarantee you or the healthcare facility anything, as I am not obligated to by law (like you must with auto insurance) Nor did I say I would.

So let's say I tell you that you have to go to work tomorrow, but I'm not guaranteeing that you are gonna get paid for it....would you still go?

Doctors/nurses/hospitals do this everyday.

The last bit of your post seems a bit rude

That's ok, most of yours is idiotic.

Yep, you got it.

So let's say I tell you that you have to go to work tomorrow, but I'm not guaranteeing that you are gonna get paid for it....would you still go?

Doctors/nurses/hospitals do this everyday.

The last bit of your post seems a bit rude

That's ok, most of yours is idiotic.

Ouch:(
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock