Squeak

Low opening

Glad i jump in a flatland area.

Posted on Skysurfer.

apparently bad spot and not very good situational awareness

Nice view though:o

Jumping in a valley is great as long as you make sure all those hard rocky bits... really are off in the distance and not right under you.

I think there whould have been a HOLY FUCK after the guy landed in that alpine meadow.

i think i would have gone silver in that situation....

why?

Because reserves generally open faster than mains. They're also designed and packed to have a lower chance of malfunction than a main. That's why, in your FJC, you were taught than in an emergency exit from a plane, below a certain altitude, go directly to silver.

why?

Because reserves generally open faster than mains. They're also designed and packed to have a lower chance of malfunction than a main. That's why, in your FJC, you were taught than in an emergency exit from a plane, below a certain altitude, go directly to silver.

It also would have been more likely to open on heading... which, in this case, could have cost him his life. Luck was on his side that day!

why?

It also would have been more likely to open on heading... which, in this case, could have cost him his life. Luck was on his side that day!

Im not so sure about that.
If you look at the video you can see he pulls at around 1:03, that means he should be under reserve canopy at around 1:05-1:06 and still above the rock.
And the reserve would most likely be a slower canopy.

why?

If you look at the video you can see he pulls at around 1:03, that means he should be under reserve canopy at around 1:05-1:06 and still above the rock.

You might be right. But assuming he did clear the peaks, I wonder what he would have found on the other side. From what I can see, he was extraordinarily lucky to end up where he did. There was a lot of very unforgiving terrain he could've landed on instead.

and I would like to think I would as well but having been in free fall at 1200' with 5 other jumpers not a single one of us went silver. We all did what we have done 100's to several thousands of time's. While I was cussing myself for not going to my reserve I watched the cypress fire on jumper 100' below me.

It is my opinion that most of us will react the way our muscles are trained when faced with a nearly instantaneous decision which could potentionally prove fatal :(

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

why?

You might be right. But assuming he did clear the peaks, I wonder what he would have found on the other side. From what I can see, he was extraordinarily lucky to end up where he did. There was a lot of very unforgiving terrain he could've landed on instead.

If I'm not mistaken its the DZ on other side of the peaks. The lake Tremorgio you can see here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=46.492011,8.692589&spn=0.033327,0.117245&t=h&z=14 is the lake you can see on the video.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.