CHRCNF

I HATE packing!

I like theonlyski's advice. Just practice as much as you can.

I like propacking best. I admit it took about 10 people showing me stuff. It was great of them to be helpful but it took me just packing any time there was a rig in need of packing (student rigs mostly).

Don't listen to all these people. PAY A PACKER.

1. Your jumps will cost a LOT more so you will have to work harder/smarter to make more money and then you can afford to jump even MORE.

2. When you have a mal you can BLAME the packer.

Of course if you really ALWAYS hire packers you have to ALWAYS go to a dz where you can find a packer and you have to tip really well so that you can ALWAYS get a packer :P

I HATE packing and never pack unless forced into it. Like the above advise I learned to pack though so that I could if I had to...got down to five minute pack jobs and quit. I literally haven't packed in prob 4 years.....

Good to know, but it doesn't make you a better or worse skydiver for doing your own pack jobs. It may or may not keep you safer depending on who you let pack or HOW good of a packer you are.

You do need to understand your gear....

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Don't listen to all these people. PAY A PACKER.

1. Your jumps will cost a LOT more so you will have to work harder/smarter to make more money and then you can afford to jump even MORE.

2. When you have a mal you can BLAME the packer.

Of course if you really ALWAYS hire packers you have to ALWAYS go to a dz where you can find a packer and you have to tip really well so that you can ALWAYS get a packer :P

I HATE packing and never pack unless forced into it. Like the above advise I learned to pack though so that I could if I had to...got down to five minute pack jobs and quit. I literally haven't packed in prob 4 years.....

Good to know, but it doesn't make you a better or worse skydiver for doing your own pack jobs. It may or may not keep you safer depending on who you let pack or HOW good of a packer you are.

You do need to understand your gear....

Bad body position.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I rather LIKE packing. I like touching and smelling the fabric, and I like my own openings.

;)

I find it hard to believe no one else's touched this.

I, too, like touching/smelling the fabric and I'm sure I'd like your openings.

(Umm... you ARE a girl, right?)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

It took me three weeks, and 4 days to learn.
Yesterday I did my first pack and jump.
I have to say there is a bit of a meditative Zen quality to packing ones own parachute.
The hardest part for me, and this is just me and due to the student equipment I'm utilizing.
I'm packing a 280 into a D bag made for a 260.
Thus I have to be very "tight" with my flaking, folding and material control.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I'm packing a 280 into a D bag made for a 260

If you're already doing that, you're doing well. Even if it's an easier-to-pack DZ canopy, with lots of jumps and maybe not ZP.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Quit paying packers till you can do it yourself, reliably and repeatedly. Then it can be an option not a requirement that you pay a packer.

+1

I hate packing, too, but I know that it's because I lack the experience to be efficient. A much more experienced friend showed me the "put one s-fold in the bag, then the other" method that so many others have mentioned here, and it made a huge difference. I still don't like packing, but I refuse to pay a packer to do what I am too lazy or frustrated to do. In just the last 10 or 15 jumps since I've adopted the new packing method, it's gotten easier. So from one newbie to another, hang in there!

Besides saving money and learning more about your canopy and its opening characteristics, another side-benefit of packing for yourself is that you make each jump count! After all that work and sweat in the packing tent, you want to make sure that whatever you do on your jumps is worth repacking that damn slippery canopy ;)

Here's a secret that soem new jumpers miss - new gear sucks ass.

This isn't golf or tennis or skiiing, new gear isn't the 'best' there is. New canopies are VERY hard to pack, and huge new canopies are even harder. On top of it all, new canopies are expensive, and if you only need a canopy for 100 or 200 jumps, you don't need a new canopy.

A ZP canopy outside of the sandy southwest can go for an easy 1000 jumps. if you own it from jump 700 trough 900, the packing will be easy and you'll get most of your purchase price back on resale. If you buy a new canopy, and suffer through the first 200 pack jpbs on that canopy, all you get is a $300 hole in your wallet after you sell it.

Let's move on to containers. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can visually tell the difference between two containers that are one size apart. Smaller containers are good for one thing, and one thing only, being hard to pack. Always, always, always, plan on buying a container that lists your canopy as on the smaller side of what will fit. When a mfgr says 'will hold up to a 170', they mean a beat down 170 on a humid day with a good packer. They don't mean a brand new 170 with a brand new packer.

Having a rig set up properly can make the difference between packing being a chore, or a breeze. A 'well used' canopy in a generously sized container with a properly sized closing loop can literally be packed without breaking a sweat in a reasonable amount of time.

A poorly configured rig, on the other hand, is what takes 45 min to complete a 'questionable' pack job.

It's all just so freaking frustrating.

I will continue to refine my packing skills though.

Strive for one pack job a day (at home) and then continue packing for myself at the DZ.

At least I won't have to worry about pacing my jumps ;)

One packjob at home? Now i see your problem, you're just bone idle lazy :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I'm packing a 280 into a D bag made for a 260

If you're already doing that, you're doing well. Even if it's an easier-to-pack DZ canopy, with lots of jumps and maybe not ZP.

Wendy P.

Wendy,
I'm just lucky. I jump at a very small DZ with some amazing people who take time from their schedule to lend a hand to n00bs like me.
I also had a very good packing instructor.
So with a bit of effort, I can get a 280 into what I'm told is a D bag made for a 260....I think.
The reason I say this is because I practiced on the other student equipment which apparently is matched correctly and when it's all said and done the bag and the parachute match up perfectly. But the 280 I'm packing.....like trying to get a cat into a bucket of water! But I was taught a few little tricks and tips and now I can pack it in about 10 minutes.

But one of the really great things about packing is understanding how your wing works and how it opens up and functions. I now understand thanks to my instructions how maybe line overs occure as well as high speed malfunctions such as bag locks and horse shoes.

Sure one day maybe thanks to things such as memory metal we will have self packing parachutes but.....maybe I'm a little nuts but....that would take away from the learning process?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

So with a bit of effort, I can get a 280 into what I'm told is a D bag made for a 260....I think.

You think you can get the 280 in a 260 d-bag?

Just keep saying "I think I can, I think I can!"
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

From what I'm told by the packers, that was a D bag for a 260 made of F111.
So it takes a bit of work. Though the packers and the rigger make it look easy.

From what I'm told by the packers, that was a D bag for a 260 made of F111.
So it takes a bit of work. Though the packers and the rigger make it look easy.

You'll be surprised with yourself if you keep at it. 60 more packjobs and you'll realize it isn't so bad B| You'll look back at this thread and just brush it off!
Stay high pull low

For me the entire process is rather amazing.
And so simple!
And the more I do it the better I udnertand it.
I just need better "material controll".
Now I understand why you guys jump those 100sqft wings! Look so much easier to pack up.