Airviking

Back after 22 years!!!

Started 30 years ago. Took a little break in 1988, but now I'm back!:)There is NOTHING like skydiving!!!
I'm gonna be bugging you folks like crazy through the winter about gear and such. I want to pick up a used rig and related gear for the spring, but I'm a little lost.

Anyway, this is my first post, and I'm just saying hi, and happy I found you guys.

Cheers!

-Lars
I believe you have my stapler.

Thanks.

Mainly The Ranch in New York. Did a lot of jumping there back in the day. Much has changed, but a lot is the same.
I might also check out some smaller NJ and PA drop zones once I get plugged in.

You MIGHT want to get your reserve repacked, it's probably out of date.

Welcome Back.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Square parachutes?!!...Like that'll work...

But seriously, I started in '80 or '81. Experienced jumpers were all jumping squares, mostly 7 cell, but a few 5 cells. I started out on Paracommanders, and then a Stratostar (170sqft 5 cell) and then bought my first and only new rig, a 220sqft Pegasus in a Mirage.

When I got out in '88, canopies were just starting to go high-performance, which made little sense to me, because to me, the parachute was purely a life-saving device.

Overall, it seems that the sport has become safer. Apparantly, AADs actually work these days, whereas the early ones did not. Deployment altitudes seem to have moved up. We used to take 4-ways down to 2,800ft back then. Crazy, but pretty much standard. Seatbelts on below 1000ft...can't hurt, since noone's bailing out anyway.

I was on a commercial flight a couple years ago with a guy who had gotten out of the sport around the same time you did. Somehow we got to talking about skydiving and he talked about wanting to get back into it (and about a year later I ran into him at a boogie, so he did, at least for a while).

At any rate, we spent a lot of time chatting about the changes in gear. I had my rig in the overhead bin and another bag in checked luggage. Waiting by the baggage claim I said "Hey, want to see my rig?" I pulled it out and showed him and his reaction was "WOW! It's so SMALL!!!"

I jump a 210 main and a 218 canopy. These days, that's considered a freaking boat. :D:D What a difference in perspective.

Welcome back.:)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks.

Mainly The Ranch in New York. Did a lot of jumping there back in the day. Much has changed, but a lot is the same.

Welcome back!

Have you jumped yet? What did you do for a recurrency jump?
__

My mighty steed

Thanks.

Welcome back!

Have you jumped yet? What did you do for a recurrency jump?

Thanks! Yep, spent a couple of hours in classroom training, and then was grounded because of winds aloft. Went back the next day and did a 2-way checkout dive, just demonstrating flat, stable, on-heading decent, turns, tracks, altitude awareness, practice deployment, and canopy control. Got signed off after that jump.

Made one more jump last weekend on rented student gear. Another 2-way, just a bunch of turns and hookups. Like riding a bicycle! B| (except that your cheeks flap a lot...) But I've pretty much decided to call it a season until the spring.

I'm selling my motorcycle to buy my gear!

will you be there tomorrow? Find me & say hello.

Hey Kim,

Thanks a lot for your support! The wind delay that day worked out well for me...We had a chance to do some "then and now" chatting, and you have a lot of good skydiving history in your head.

I came up last Saturday, for just one jump. (wanted at least one post-signoff jump this season to secure my currency). But now I'm done (unless desperation rears its ugly head) for the season. Gotta devote energy to selling the bike and researching gear.

you have me at a disadvantage. I don't remember meeting you. Did we? We did have a lot of wind Saturday and not many people were around. And it has been said of me that I have a head for the history of skydiving. So it sounds like we could have met. But I don't recall it. I did ask someone if he'd met you but he's often at a loss for names anyway. So he didn't recognize your name. Help me remember. I will definitely be there next week helping with the coach course. Find me then.
Kim

you have me at a disadvantage. I don't remember meeting you. Did we? We did have a lot of wind Saturday and not many people were around. And it has been said of me that I have a head for the history of skydiving. So it sounds like we could have met. But I don't recall it. I did ask someone if he'd met you but he's often at a loss for names anyway. So he didn't recognize your name. Help me remember. I will definitely be there next week helping with the coach course. Find me then.
Kim

LOL. I do have that effect on people...spend a bunch of time with them, and they can't ever remember meeting me. :D
This was three or four weeks back, I was that tall back-sliding 51 year young with the beard. Linda gave me the classroom- and and hanging-in-the-harness training that Saturday, but the winds were too high to jump. Came back the following day (Sunday), and the winds were still kinda high, but we made the sign-off dive in the afternoon. You had the nerve to say that my flying style was kinda "old school".:P
If you still don't remember me, surely you remember my Flight Suit (brought it for laughs) with the wings and swoop cords.

I do recall. I thought you'd meant just this past weekend, which also had high winds and wind holds. And I know I didn't meet anyone named Lars then. You wanted to jump your old suit and I suggested we try something a tad more current. Then I showed you the old suit we have hanging up in the hangar. I can't picture you, but I remember the day - slightly.

Hey guys, we need closure!
Pfff.. I'll probably dream about you two
and there's gonna be "The Hair" soundtrack

so, some pictures please?

well that lost me.

I'm sorry, my joke was incomprehensible as usually. [:/]
By reading your (too) private correspondence, I felt like watching some movie, with no ending. That's where I spoke from.
It was supposed to be funny, polite way of saying: "guys, continue with PM's, please"

.. or you could send some pictures
What goes around, comes later.