blacklabjumper

Triathlon Hybrid

I have recently developed an interest in this canopy per the suggestion of soemone I jump with on a regular basis. I am interested in doing some CRW starting next jumping season. I won't be doing it on a regular basis but defnitely want to start learning more in this area. based on what I have read this seems to be a good set up for someone such as myself who wants to do a little CRW but do it with the proper canopy but still be able jump the canopy of regular freefall jumps. I was wondering what the general opinion was of this canopy and what your experience has been with the hybrid. Thanks in advance.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

I'm no CRW expert, but my limited experience has been that everyone's really gotta be jumping the same model of canopy at the same loading. I mean I've docked on a Spectre with my Sabre2, but that's not "real" CRW. Even when everyone's jumping a Lightning at about the same loading, there's a lot of variation in speed and glide angle until everyone's dialed in.

I own a hybrid triathlon 120, but definitely couldnt use it to jump with a bunch of lightnings. Borrowed a lightning 126 and found it to be hard enough... needed a set of links on the rear risers for a steeper trim and still needed to hold front risers to not be too floaty.

I also pretty much hate jumping it regularly. Opens much more firmly than my Sabre2 and the flare kinda sucks (well, I am just not used to a 7-cell landing).

Dave

I've got 500 jumps on a Hybrid Tri. It opens, flies, and lands the same as the regular Triathlon. As for its suitability for CRW, I think it's great if you get all Dacron lines. The stock Hybrid lineset only has Dacron for the center A lines, which is fine as long as all of your wraps are on-center. :P

I'm no CRW expert, but my limited experience has been that everyone's really gotta be jumping the same model of canopy at the same loading. I mean I've docked on a Spectre with my Sabre2, but that's not "real" CRW. Even when everyone's jumping a Lightning at about the same loading, there's a lot of variation in speed and glide angle until everyone's dialed in.

I own a hybrid triathlon 120, but definitely couldnt use it to jump with a bunch of lightnings. Borrowed a lightning 126 and found it to be hard enough... needed a set of links on the rear risers for a steeper trim and still needed to hold front risers to not be too floaty.

I also pretty much hate jumping it regularly. Opens much more firmly than my Sabre2 and the flare kinda sucks (well, I am just not used to a 7-cell landing).

Dave

I respectifully disagree he said he only wants to do a little
CReW a tri would be perfect for that, you can always add a weight vest if one of the jumpers need to increase their wingloading to match another jumpers. Even if you do that a 150 loaded at 1.1 and a 190 loaded at 1.1 won't fly the same so you will never be perfect across the board
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Dave

CReW a tri would be perfect for that, you can always add a weight vest if one of the jumpers need to increase their wingloading to match another jumpers. Even if you do that a 150 loaded at 1.1 and a 190 loaded at 1.1 won't fly the same so you will never be perfect across the board

You are funny! I sure hope you stick around, im having a blast.

Just looking at aerodynes homepage.
Hybrid canopy:

•The only CRW canopy that can be deployed comfortably at terminal freefall speeds

CRW canopy:

•Consistent openings with a minimum of inflation time.

What i have learned from those ~10 CRW jumps i have made and a few other redneck CRWs is that you really dont what a canopy that opens slow.
But i know you are going to disagree so, explain to me why im wrong.

And what are your rules about removing/replacing/attaching a pilotchute?
Riggerjob or can any skydiver do that on his own gear? (not because its hard, but is the skydiver allowd to)

Dave

You are funny! I sure hope you stick around, im having a blast.

Just looking at aerodynes homepage.
Hybrid canopy:

•The only CRW canopy that can be deployed comfortably at terminal freefall speeds

CRW canopy:

•Consistent openings with a minimum of inflation time.

What i have learned from those ~10 CRW jumps i have made and a few other redneck CRWs is that you really dont what a canopy that opens slow.
But i know you are going to disagree so, explain to me why im wrong.

And what are your rules about removing/replacing/attaching a pilotchute?
Riggerjob or can any skydiver do that on his own gear? (not because its hard, but is the skydiver allowd to)

If you are going to do simple crew jumps then you wont need to bother with retractable pcs etc. etc.
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

If you are going to do simple crew jumps then you wont need to bother with retractable pcs etc. etc.

More great advice. I'm not saying I've never done it, but I have been "talked to" by a real live CRW expert about that kinda thing. It's not smart.

Bumping end cells is one thing, CRW is another. When you're going to be putting your feet in someone's lines, there's a lot to think about and using appropirate equipment, from canopy to socks, is important. Doesn't matter if it's a 2-way or a 100-way.

Stop giving bad advice.

Dave

Stop giving bad advice.

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, back up, put your head down and learn. I know you're excited and want to help people, but right now you're a guy that should be getting the help. There is nothing wrong with that, in a few years and hundreds of more jumps, you'll have the experience to be able to safely and accurately help people.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why on earth would you buy a totally separate canopy and equipment if you are going to do a random cerw jump maybe 2-5 times a year? :S

I wouldn't. I borrow. And change how my jumpsuit is put on (velcro cuffs rolled inward), and add another hook knife, wear a different helmet, switch to a muflap altimeter, etc.

I have a retractable PC for my triathlon, but I've never tried it. No way I'd be able to stay with my friends' lightnings. And the risers and toggles aren't really appropriate for CRW either. Maybe if I had a friend with a hybrid tri at similar loading we could give it a shot but I don't.

If I come across a good deal on a lightining 126, I'd probably take it. Even though it would sit around more than my wingsuit.

Dave

Did it ever cross your mind that in a biplane those two PCs that are not retractable are beeing close enough to tangle eachoter?

I admit that i have never flied the Triathlon, but if its anything like a Lightning, please dont advice anyone to put weights on.
Let them make that decision themselfs.
The Lightning does not have the same margin for error as your Saber2 when landing it.

Did it ever cross your mind that in a biplane those two PCs that are not retractable are beeing close enough to tangle eachoter?

I admit that i have never flied the Triathlon, but if its anything like a Lightning, please dont advice anyone to put weights on.
Let them make that decision themselfs.
The Lightning does not have the same margin for error as your Saber2 when landing it.

Thats what a cutawy handle and reserve ripcord is For!

Seems OK to me. But that may be because I've been around canopies which are not built for retractable bridles -- locally I've done up to 8 stacks in recent years, mostly with Cruislites, Ravens, Mavericks, and such 1980s canopies.

If you have a canopy where one can be fitted, it makes some sense to use one, particularly if it isn't your regular day to day canopy. I can't argue against it being a more modern and superior way to do CRW.

OK thanks for the input guys. I am now changing gears and looking at the PD Storm which comes with a "casual CRW Kit" The kit can be installed by PD or sent separately. Non Cascading A & B Dacron lines. Anybody have experience with the Storm.
Based on what I have reserached it would seem the Storm needs serious consideration.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

A Storm really will not fly well with lightnings. I flew my hybrid tri 120 with lightnings a couple times for casual crew, no problems. It will also fly well with spectres and regular tri's. I jumped the retractable bridle fulltime too, why not.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Triathlons, Lightnings, and Spectres all fly well together for casual CRW as long as the wing loadings are similar. Storms only fly well with other Storms because their angle of attack is so steep. I would only suggest Storms for casual CRW if other people around you are jumping Storms..