bdev

Skydiving + Scuba Diving..

Okay, I know the 'no scuba diving within 24hrs of flying' thing....but does anyone know how rigid this rule is ?

I like both, and ideally would like to do both on holiday!

Anyone skydived and scuba dived within a short period ? - Surely the military must have done some research on this ?

Thoughts ?
---
One life...Use it.

"Okay, I know the 'no scuba diving within 24hrs of flying' thing"

No you don't. It's the no flying within 24 hours of scuba thing.

Skydiving and scuba diving is no problem.
It's swoping them around that's the problem.

I did Tandem in the Turks and Caicos, and there is a real reason for that question. We aborted a dive and decended in the aircraft when a pax started bending as low as 6000 ft. She was also on holiday and had "forgotten" that morning's dive. No lasting damage.

Follow the rules - or bend. Your call.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

When diving you breath compressed air. The deeper you go the more compressed the air gets, so you diving regulator has to put more air in your lungs to keep them from collapsing. With the extra air in your body, you take more nitrogen into you blood. As you ascend after the dive, the air expands. If you ascend too quickly it doesnt give the nitorgen enough time to release itself properly and this can cause nitrogen bubbles in your blood. This is a bend.

If you ascend at the correct speed etc and do not have a bend straight after the dive and then climb to altitude in a plane, this has the same effect of rising too quickly during a scuba dive as nitrogen will remain in your body for a few hours (the exact length of time depends on how deep / long your dive was).

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

As far as not flying after scubadiving is concerned, all jumps are high altitude. If it counts for normal passenger airlines which are pressurised to (I think) somewhere around 8000 feet. Then it definately matters on non-pressurised jump aircraft going to 10,000 feet and above.

Personally I wouldnt risk a hop'n'pop within 24 hours of scuba diving. I've had a friend suffer the bends after doing an intro dive and then flying home from her hols. She's still suffering, years later.

--so long and thanks for all the fish....

As far as I know high altittude jumps may have bends effects (under some conditions)

How? I didnt know a bend could be brought about by low pressure. What would cause the nitrogen bubbles?

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

You can be as unsure as you like. 4000 feet she was fidgiting. I thought she was nervous. 6000 feet she was fuc*ing screaming. I asked her again during the decent, and she confirmed the scuba dive, 15 m for +- 25 min. Idiot. (I'm no diver so I have no idea what the effect would be but it was the same morning.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

As far as I know high altittude jumps may have bends effects (under some conditions)

How? I didnt know a bend could be brought about by low pressure. What would cause the nitrogen bubbles?

As far as I remember from my physics classes at all these applies the Boyle law (http://www.flash.net/~table/gasses/boyle1.htm)
In the case of a high altitude you will breathe nitrogen also in a low pressure and when you will land all that nitrogen in your body will be ''ibflate''.
Of course that needs long stay in high altitude
Am I wrong?

So what's the official name for this, caisson's disease or something like that, right? I recognize the symptons because my uncle does a lot of scubadyving and he told me about it one time. I only know the term "The Bends" from Radiohead's similar song ;) but english is not my native language.

This topic has been discussed ad nasuem in the safety forum so if your interested do a search on high altitude jumps. For further clarification in ref to diving please see THIS

As far as jumping and diving are concerned there are a set of tables, just like in diving, that dictate how far down you can go down once you have been at altitude. Jumping and diving is tricky business and unless you know exactly what your doing you can jack yourself up quickly. General rule of thumb, as was already stated is to wait 24 hrs before flying if you have been diving. Again, there are comprehensive dive tables/computers that can tell you to the minute how long you have to wait before flying. If you dive, none of this is news to you. If it is news to you then I suggest you seek additional training from a certified PADI instructor.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Google.com says yes. I had never hear it called Caisson's Disease or at least remembered it.

"Caissons carrying workers to the bottom of the river were used to drive the tower foundations to a firm footing on the bottom of the East River. Hundreds of workers got the bends, then known as "Caisson's Disease", as a result of the pressure changes."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Skydive firth, Scuba Dive later, the other way around not good, but after Scuba you should wait 12 hour as minimum depend on your depth, time and how many dive you have done.

"Respect the rule of the see, it will kill you in a nasty and painful way"

Already lost a friend in a decompretion chamber...

Bent is not a good thing to have

Blues Skies
42 and don't forget your towell

Rules are there for a reason man. If you want to risk the bends thats up to you. However why not skydive in the morning then go scuba? No problem.

Changing the order is a good idea. Like the observation that you can smoke then drink but had best not drink then smoke, sky then scuba is a whole lot better than scuba then sky.

Getting bent sucks.

Blue skies,

Winsor

When I was in Playa Del Carmen last month I made a two tank dive in Cozemel. Waited 24 hrs and made a skydive and landed on the beach with no problems what so ever. Man, I love that beautiful blue water from 10k.;) I am planning a trip to Belize in September. I am definitly bringing my rig for some more beach jumps.B|

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Okay, I know the 'no scuba diving within 24hrs of flying' thing....but does anyone know how rigid this rule is ?

Not rigid at all. There are too many variables for this rule to be anything more than a recommendation. You can still suffer from the bends even after waiting 24 hours to fly after diving.

I was a safety diver at the NBL for a year. I dove 533 hours in less than a year of diving. We dove 46% NITROX, for 2 hours in, 2 hour surface interval, then another 2 hour dive, max depth 40 feet. I would either jump the next morning or sometimes even that day after diving and never suffered any symptoms. I'm sure the NITROX made a big difference. Exercising after diving cleans the compressed nitrogen out of your system faster.

The best information I could find for flying after diving was high altitude diving charts. Diving at altitude is the same as flying after diving (well almost exactly, close enough). You won't find a doctor willing to say that after diving for x minutes at x feet, you can safely go to xxxx feet in altitude. You can do the same dive then fly routine 100 times without getting bent, then get bent on the 101st time. It is an in-exact science. Play it conservatively and leave plenty of time after diving before flying.

The first signs of the bends or decompression sickness is itchy skin and pain in the joints.

Derek