jigneshsoni

Sky Diving in a different Way

I was wondering why sky diving is not done over an ocean. Would appreciate what all you people think about it?

1) Was wondering if you would jump from 13500 feet without a parachute at all into water, Would that cuase injuries?

2) Jump with a parachute. I am sure this will avoid most of the injuries that a caused while landing. You would surey not break your legs or butt or back.

3) As a student you have to worry only about overcoming fears of "jumping out of the plane" You don't have to worry about injuries that may cuase due to bad landing.

Any comments???

Got an acquaintance who works for NYPD Scuba & Rescue. When people jump off the George Washington Bridge, they break up into pieces, because of the impact with the water which is only 604 ft down. Perhaps 13,500 wouldnt go so well either ?
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

You could drown maybe?:|

"As a student you have to worry about overcoming fear... bad landing" -

But aren;t a lot of student inuries caused on landing -:|:| - i would have thought you would have to worry about the landing just as much if not more than the jumping out of the door..

.. sorry... im very confused.:|

edited - + lol where the hell would the plane land!!!! (and where would you be able to sit and drink your beer and do other .... stuff.....;););))

mike

Gotta think a little longer-term.

1. You can most definitely die going into the water. It does not compress, so you have to push all the water out of the way that's stopping you from going down in a big hurry. Doesn't happen, you die unless you manage it JUST RIGHT. There's a reason those cliff divers in Mexico are on TV.

2. Who picks you up out of the water when you land there? Your parachute and gear are now wet; your main is getting water into the cells and turning into a giant anchor. What if your flotation device doesn't work?

3. The fear of drowning should be greater than the fear of injury on landing. If not, adjust fear.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>1) Was wondering if you would jump from 13500 feet without a
> parachute at all into water, Would that cuase injuries?

You would die. You would be more likely to survive going into a tree than into water.

>2) Jump with a parachute. I am sure this will avoid most of the
> injuries that a caused while landing. You would surey not break your
> legs or butt or back.

Been done a lot. Unfortunately your gear will not survive many such immersions; salt water is very bad for equipment.

>3) As a student you have to worry only about overcoming fears
> of "jumping out of the plane" You don't have to worry about injuries
> that may cuase due to bad landing.

. . . and then you'd drown. Landing with gear in the water is not deadly if you're trained for it, but people do still drown when they land in water. That's a lot of crap to deal with while you're swimming.

Here's an idea. Instead of an ocean, why not have a pond that high performance parachutes can swoop over, so if they screw up they just hit water?

1. You can most definitely die going into the water. It does not compress, so you have to push all the water out of the way that's stopping you from going down in a big hurry. Doesn't happen, you die unless you manage it JUST RIGHT. There's a reason those cliff divers in Mexico are on TV.

And those guys suffer some really awful sounding injuries if they miss by just a little.

Jig - people have died from intentionally cutting away 'just above' the water. Much more than 50ft, it becomes an increasing risk. Biff a regular landing approach and you can knock yourself out, or disorient yourself long enough to suck down some water and panic.

That all said - if they're still doing the Belize Boogie when I have the 500 jumps they currently require, I'll go back to jump/dive the Blue Hole. It's the only thing that would get me back to that particular country.

I don't want to land in the ocean in freefall or parachute. That would hurt or cause drowning.

Now landing on the beach - that might be fun. Especially if there are a lot of hot babes ;)

Here's an idea. Instead of an ocean, why not have a pond that high performance parachutes can swoop over, so if they screw up they just hit water?

Was that tongue in cheek? I thought it was recommended to not try the pond until you're already a skilled swooper?

I read in an article that a aircraft carrier was turning around and a group of skydivers planned to jump out and land on the carrier at its slowest point(note that a cruising speed of a carrier is like 30 knots) and so they timed it perfectly so they landed on the carrier.
All planned be the miliary and no civillians involved so instead of prison they went the the military prison... dont they call that the brig.?

I'll try to find the article and post it.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Yes,
Many years ago - I saw an article in a mainstream French magazine about doing a tandem onto the deck of a French Navy aircraft carrier.
The jump was done on New Year's Day and included the French tradition of cutting the neck off a champaign bottle - with a saber - in freefall.
Everyone involved served in the French military.