Throttlebender

People must LOVE their Safires!

>Pilot or Safire?

Safire2. Pilots are best in the larger sizes, down to about a 140. Below that I'd go with a Safire2.

I'm a bit curious about this comment. What differences did you notice between the pilot and safire2 in the smaller sizes? Was this observation attributed to the size or the higher wingloading?

not sure if it's quite your size.. but it sure is PRETTY! B|

That's coo.... I did mine with the tangerine ribs as well. B| Also inside of a V3. B|B|B|

we now have a couple canopies with differing colors from ribs to outer-skins; they all look fantastic! B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Oh, I didn`t mean you in the first place :P Just to lazy and replied to the last post.

I know `bout your Safire dude. And from little that I know you I predict you going Xfire by the end of this season. ;)

if all goes well.. maybe! next time at the dz, i'll start playing with the 270's..

not really pushing it, having fun enjoying the ride. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

>What differences did you notice between the pilot and safire2 in the smaller sizes?

Flare, front riser pressure, recovery arc, openings. The smaller Pilots have very high front riser pressure and a very short recovery arc. Oddly, at sizes 140 and higher, the front riser pressure seems to drop a bit and toggle pressure goes down. Recovery arc does not increase, but it seems to decrease less than you'd expect. I'm basing this on comparisons between:

Pilot 150 (Amy's demo canopy)
Pilot 140 (my old bigway canopy)
Pilot 117 (short lived working canopy)

Safire1 129 (really a 119)
Safire2 119 (second rig canopy)
Safire2 109 (Amy's new canopy)

To be fair, I may have just gotten a "bum" Pilot 117.

I'm seeing plenty of Pilots for sale which is my second choice(and current canopy on the rig I'm selling) but finding a good used Safire2 160-169 is a pain in the butt[:/]

Just needed to grumble for a sec.

Holy Crap dude - I wish I would have known . . . I just gave mine away.:o

Just kidding:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have an "original" Safire (not a Safire 2) 189 (which means, for those in-the-know, that it is ACTUALLY a 174 ;)) I might be willing, or be able to be convinced to part with. @750-800 total jumps on it, but a brand new (under 50 jumps) lineset on it. Short of becoming a classified ad within a post here (verbotten) - simply PM me if you are interested.

BS,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I tried a Safire2 after having flown a Pilot for a couple of hundred jumps. It was so much like the Pilot that I didn't bother to switch models, I just got a smaller Pilot instead.

;)

And I'm gonna fly it till the fabric disintegrates!

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Interesting. I've put several jumps on two different pilots, and while I'm a big fan of the canopy, I do feel like I'd like a bit more flare compared to some of the other caopies I've jumped(storm, sabre2, stiletto). I'm also a deep flarer and go all the way to the bottom of the stroke, so I don't think that was the problem.
Anyway, the reason I decided to try the Safire2 is that I've heard numerous times that the flare is really nice; even better than the pilot. Was that not your experience?
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

Wow, WL >1,6 at ~300 jumps. Most DZOs in Germany would have a word with you at least... :o See DFV WL Chart ("Erfahrene (über 600 Sprünge) können nach Schulung einen WL über 1,50 springen") Just wanted to say...

altough i didnt want to, now i kinda have to answer..

the DZO we used to have, actually IS german; he also used to be heavily involved in canopy-piloting competition, as well as developing canopies, or at least in test-jumping new canopies.. guy with about 15'000 jumps, i did the canopy-course with him, and "back in the days", i sure wasnt god's gift to canopy-piloting..

i made some efforst to get "up to speed"; and for my dz, i'm actually on the conservative side..

i was at another dz this weekend, and yea, even tough i think i may be on the more progressive side of things percepted around here, even on my "normal" dz..

mhm, i think i'm not doing too bad..

anyway, to each their own, and if a dzo thinks he has to have a word with me previously to have seen me fly or whatever.. i dont think that's a place i would want to be jumping at!

recently a buddy of mine mentioned that i became of a ruthless badass to a sort of competent skydiver, that does in fact know his boundaries and..

gosh, now i start sounding like one of those nazi's, and i fucking dont like it! maybe i should skip the XF and just order a 90 velo.. now that would be badass again! you know, i got a reputation to upkeep! ;):P:DB|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda