guineapiggie101

Need help, having doubts.

I agree, I am beating myself up a lot. Esp after the 2nd dive when I was able to counter the turn, and stabilize a bit (and my instructors let go of me), I ended up forgetting to pull (facepalm). If I had pulled on that jump, I would have passed AFF 3. That is frustrating.

DSE, I know I need more airtime and confidence. I am using skydiving to build up my confidence. I love being up in the air and I am planning jump again sometime this week and/or this weekend.

I have a few questions about my dive but I will ask my instructors the next time I am at the DZ.

don't think about what to do...focus on what you should NOT do :-)

you've amassed quite a bit of experience of what not to do so you're probably almost there.

keep jumping you'll get it sooner or later...don't over think it...make sure your gear is good and jump.

Always focus on the task at hand as to what you should do. Focusing on the negative will produce those results.

Positive action creates positive results. Yes. it sounds hokie, but it works.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Don't think about an elephant!!!! Bet you pictured an elephant.

Think about what you should be doing, not what you should not be doing:

1. Thinking about negative things will enforce them.
2. There are to many negative things that you could spend a life time thinking about all of them... But you really want to do the few good things, so think about them
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Lots of good advice already given, here. I'll throw in a couple of points:

1) Longtime tunnel rats sometimes have a problem when they do jump. Their tunnel sessions are often @least twice as long as a regular dive. So, their internal jump clock gets out of whack. They're used to 2-4 minute flying sessions. In the air, it's all over in 60 seconds. You've now a lot more tunnel time than sky time. You're just coming back from your injury. You've spent 45 minutes in the tunnel. What did you do, two minute sessions? Your internal clock is now set to two minutes. Even if you forgot to check your alti every five seconds or so. Your internal clock would have told you it's getting to be about that time.

2) I'm not going to tell you how I was taught to break a mad spin. You've instructors for that. I will tell you that once you've broke a really hairy spin? You'll not only not fear them. You'll enjoy them.

PilFy, I don't think I will ever get comfortable with spinning. It was scary, esp when it started to pick up speed and when my mainside was trying to redock on me:(.

I think I am still too new at this to have a sense of timing when I jump. Usually when I exit the plane, I am trying to remember everything I need to do and trying to will myself to get it right.

I try not to be nervous (or else try to hide it) on the airplane ride up because, I've noticed that my nervousness can affect others.

Must be positive. I know I can do this. Besides, it is fun, floating around up there.

focus on your breathing.

whenever you get your helmet and goggles on, take a few seconds to breathe.

the air is thinner at 14k. take a few breaths and get use to it.

if you remember to take strong steady breaths right before and throughout freefall, you will be relaxed.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

PilFy, I don't think I will ever get comfortable with spinning. It was scary, esp when it started to pick up speed and when my mainside was trying to redock on me:(.

I managed to spin up and completely lose my AFF-I on one of my level 4's. He ended up having to get under me, steal my air and tackle me when I landed on him.

He wouldn't give up, put my ass on the next load, and I passed.

If you start spinning, smile, relax, wiggle your toes. You'll probably notice a foot is in a different position than the other one, causing a spin. The smile will help calm you down, and the relaxing will help your arch.

I was in the tunnel friday, got a little stressed out, from screwing up a few times, a smile and an arch, and I was back on the ball.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Don't even think about that stuff.... All stupid stories from around the bonfire from the ""good old safety meeting days" aside- drugs when used with skydiving puts the ''Black Death" in Blue Sky Black Death. Very bad juju

What DSE said. Ill also add that you are WAY over thinking this. Don't fall into the brain lock of trying to "fix" a problem in freefall that you cant seem to take care of. If you cant fix the problem you end the skydive (this is what I was taught). There is no excuse to not pulling if you're physically able.

Secondly (and I hate to say it) RELAX! When you're not having fun anymore it's time to stop for the day. This has happened to me on jumps where over and over we try to get as many points as we can, and I get PISSED that we dont get them. When I find myself in this state I'm done for the day.

Ill end with not "relax", but HAVE FUN! Pretty hard to not be relaxed when you're having a good time. My most memorable jump (jump13-14 IIRC) was a jump I did with my instructor. There was a thunderstorm on the other side of the mountains and I could see lightning hitting the other side of the mountain. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever witnessed AND IN FREEFALL. We got 8 points and I landed feeling almost euphoric. Thats the kind of feeling you should be getting on your jumps not "well I fucked up another one".

These are my experiences and feelings. I hope you can reach something similar and get through your AFF. I'm sure you'll do it!B|

Muff #5048

Still no pass.

Today started out being a good day. Based on a friend's recommendation, I went and did some tunnel time. Was very relaxed and able to just float around and stay stable. Even did a few turns.

I then went and did another AFF 3 dive. Dive went great. I was relaxed, had a great time. Good exit, Everything was cool. Except I got into a spin AGAIN!!!!>:(. I tried using my hands to compensate for the spin to stop it (and I arched harder). Ended up spinning 2 times and instuctors came back quickly for the redock.

I managed to pull on my own (yay) and had a great canopy flight and landing.

From talking to my instructors, it seems that my body size (short arms and short legs) is playing a role in why I am going into spins. I might have to learn to fly even better than most beginners, because of the effort that will be necessary to compensate for my turns.

I really want to be able to skydive. I have put all my energy and effort into this. I ask questions all the time and try to learn, and practice what I learn. Yet, it seems so impossible.

I dunno what to do next (figuratively). I'm frustrated and exhausted.

How small is your torso? How large is the rig? Does it move around on you? There have been some people in the past who had turn/spin problems due to large student rigs shifting on them. One of them was even using the rig to do turns, pushing it with her elbow!

That may not be your problem, but if you're rocking it in the tunnel with no rig on and sucking it up on the actual dive, it might be worth talking to your instructors and reviewing video (you are getting video of the jump, right? To debrief your spin "feature").
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am probably what you would consider to be a "little person". I do have a normal sized torso, with smaller arms and legs. The rig is a regular student rig, except that it has a ripcord pullout. Rig fits ok on me. I think. Rig pretty much covers my entire torso (from looking at my skydive pics).

"facepalm" I should have gotten video. I didn't think about it today because I didn't think I would get into another spin. Someone suggested that I do some tunnel time to relax myself and just fly steady and that should deal with my other problems.

I thought that if I flew well in the tunnel that the sky shouldn't be a problem, esp since I wasn't anxious today.

Hi GP,

I've been following your progress for about 6 months. Could you make a list for me on this forum of all the things you have dialed in. The things you can do correctly everytime. I know there are some things that you do best. Like not funneling the exit, being aware of your altitude and when to pull, etc....I know you feel confident about some of these learned aspects of your jumps. Have a beer or two, and let me know which of these things you feel comfortable with. Each thing you list, you can be proud of....... See you at the exit point.
Life is short ... jump often.

I went and did some tunnel time. Was very relaxed and able to just float around and stay stable. Even did a few turns.

I had the exact same thought as the other dave. A big student rig can shift around and catch air, and push you in different directions. I hate to blame the rig, but if your performance in the tunnel is good, and has been over the course of several visits, I would lean toward the rig giving you some trouble.

You have a doulbe whammy in that you're smaller, so the rig may over-hang your body, but you also have shorter arms and legs, which reduces your ability to counter the effects of the rig.

What next? Well, the one idea is to take the rig to the tunnel, if they'll allow it. There are covers made for rigs that secure the handles and canopies for use in the tunnel, but each tunnel is different as to what they will, or will not allow. It might prove the rig to be the problem, and it might give you more 'working time' to figure how to work around the rig. You managed it on the last jump, now you need to figure out how you did it and repeat that.

The other idea is to look for a rig that fits you better. I have no idea what you're jumping, or what options even exist for you, but a rig with different dimensions might do you some good. Some are shorter and fatter, some are longer and skinnier, some are just plain smaller. Look into that and see what you can come up with.

Davelepka, you bring up some good ideas. Having a coach from my DZ work with me at the tunnel with the rig, could be something to consider. I would have to talk to my DZ about that.

This is the only student rig there that fits me, and they had to modify it so I could pull a ripcord release (since my arms were too short for a BOC release). I have been told that when I get off student status and get my own rig, it will be a lot easier for me.

On the rig moving front, at my DZ, our student rigs have adjustable laterals. On one of my jumps (actually, jump 16 - I checked my log book ;)) the laterals came loose and the rig started turning me quite noticeably, had to correct for it but I was very uncomfortable and ended up pulling higher (6k as opposed to 5k).

I'd think that your instructors should be able to see it moving to one side or the other though? Could be wrong of course. Also, if you're doing tunnel time and have some specific physical constraints in terms of having powerful turns then maybe talk to your instructors/coaches on coordinated leg/arm turns if you haven't already?

I really want to be able to skydive. I have put all my energy and effort into this. I ask questions all the time and try to learn, and practice what I learn. Yet, it seems so impossible.

You’ll get it. It will take longer than some, shorter than others but you will get it. It is not impossible. There are skydivers on this site with thousands of jumps that struggled just as you are struggling now. In the past some have posted entries from their log books documenting there struggles.

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/HowCRW.html

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Cheri.html

Hang in there.