mixedup

does use of wind tunnels reduce the risk getting through your beginner stage without injury?

Does use of wind tunnels reduce the risk getting through your beginner stage without injury?

(so I haven't quite got to the stage of booking my first lesson in the AFF course, hence haven't jumped yet - so just curious about this)
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Nope.

As someone who completed AFF (levels 1-14) two weeks ago and squeezed in an hour of tunnel time between jumps 6 & 7, I can say without hesitation that tunnel time will not reduce your risk of injuries.

It will help expedite your progress through AFF and give you a much better sense of body control, but you will still have to learn your canopy skills one jump at a time.

Nope.

As someone who completed AFF (levels 1-14) two weeks ago and squeezed in an hour of tunnel time between jumps 6 & 7, I can say without hesitation that tunnel time will not reduce your risk of injuries.

It will help expedite your progress through AFF and give you a much better sense of body control, but you will still have to learn your canopy skills one jump at a time.

Interesting. How much freefall time do you get in the the first 14 jumps by the way?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

The current incidence of injury for beginners is so low that it is hardly a concern. Being alert, limber and fit will take you thru as well as anything else you might try.

_But_

Tunnel time WILL help your progression thru the beginner stages. It's worth getting what you can especially with the advice or assistance of your AFF school.

jon

Interesting. How much freefall time do you get in the the first 14 jumps by the way?

Say around 9 minutes.

Agree with what was said above. Most student injuries are landing-related (my source being the BPA minutes for the last five years or so). Very few of the injuries are related to stability in freefall. However, I will also say that if you do some tunnel time and that gives you confidence and makes you more stable in freefall and more relaxed for the whole skydive that that's not a bad thing. Tunnel time is a plus in my book.

And it may help you not have to repeat a level which will be worth it $wise. IF you're talking about a good tunnel and working with a coach.

Yes.

We perform better and learn faster when we are not stressed. With tunnel experience, the free fall portion of the skydive tends to go much better than without. The student tends to avoid sensory over load. This allows the student to learn to fly their canopy in a much better mental state. Their awareness is much better and they are less freaked out.

Derek V

_Very_ slightly. I'd argue it's primarily due to _instructor_ preparation - what students do in the tunnel is very indicative of what they do in the air. This allows the instructor to 1) concentrate the last part of their training on what they need most (based on their performance in the tunnel) and 2) anticipate what they do in the air, thus providing a bit more preparation for both themselves and the other instructor.

But as someone else mentioned, that only helps them during the freefall portion of the jump, and that's a small fraction of the total injuries for students.

Nope.

Not a lot, maybe 9 minutes, but that 9 minutes was full of automatic responses, not thinking and reacting. I reviewed each of my first 6 dive flows so often that when I finally jumped out of the plane I was moving automatically. After my tunnel time I was able to relax in freefall and do what I needed to but be able to react and move as I wanted. On my coached jumps (8-14) my coaches and I ended up off the beaten path and doing things other than those listed on the student dive flows.

Part of the problem I see with AFF, is the first FF is then followed by the canopy flight phase, where if you are going to hurt yourself this is where it is more likely to happen.

Part of the reason for that is the huge rush of adrenalin you have from the FF, and thinking clearly and calmly after the FF rush is difficult, yet it is really important to have your head together for this phase of the flight.

Also I believe the canopy training phase is not taught or absorbed to the extent it should be, because the FF part is much more intense....

The sensory overload often overwhelms everything else.

Tunnel time would be extremely helpful in getting the jumper to a stage where the sensation of FF is experienced to the point where the brain switches on and the student is THINKING CONSCIOUSLY about what is happening to him/her. during the FF phase.

Thus the "rush" of the actual FF is lessened to the point where the situational awreness of the student is much higher, and the student is then better able to deal with the canopy flight phase of the jump.

The whole key to mastering skydiving in all its forms is conscious thought and awareness (of your body) in the air..

I believe tunnel time should be an essential requirement for AFF training.....

So in answer to the question....YES.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

To add....tunnel time with both the student and his AFF instructors together.....great time to sort out communications, body positions etc, and get a feel of and understanding of the air together...

Gotta be good.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....