ikebonamin

Horse Shoe - once again.

What 's the best way to handle a Horse Shoe Mal?

Attempt to deploy the pilot chute or clear an entangled pilot chute as altitude permits. If you get the piot chute out, the canopy may or may not open. Deal with that as appropriate.

If you are unable to get the pilot chute out, cutaway, deploy your reserve, and hope for the best.

Derek

2.1) Horseshoe Malfunction High speed partial malfunction.
The definition of a Horseshoe malfunction is that your container is open and the parachute is connected to your body somewhere other than the risers.
2.1a) Out of Sequence Deployment: (Throw Hackey, if necessary-cut away, deploy reserve)
A Normal Deployment sequence is:
Step 1) Throw your pilot chute.
Step 2) Container opens and parachute comes out.
Step 3) Parachute opens and inflates.
In an Out of Sequence situation the container has opened but pilot chute is still in the pouch – essentially, Step 2 has happened (container is open) but Step 1 has not.
• Know your Altitude! Attempt to locate and deploy your pilot chute. The main container tray is open and the parachute is potentially out so the bottom flap (where the BOC hackey handle is located) may not be where it normally is. Place your right palm on the back of your thigh and feel your way up your leg to the bottom of the container in an attempt to locate the hackey handle.
• Maintain an arched body position and keep your hand facing palm skyward to prevent a potential entanglement with the pilot chute bridal.
• Remember, this is a high speed situation, you are losing altitude fast.
The USPA SIM 2005 states: Premature container opening in freefall (hand deployment only):
• Attempt to locate and deploy the pilot chute first (no more than two attempts or two seconds, whichever comes first).
• If the pilot chute can’t be located after two tries or if deploying the pilot chute results in a partial malfunction, cut away and deploy the reserve.

2.1b) Pilot chute bridle wrapped around arm/leg, the parachute is out:
This is a preventable situation by maintaining good body position and keeping your palm skyward and legs positive during the deployment of a throw-out pilot chute BOC system.
• Know your Altitude! Two attempts to clear the entanglement by presenting the extremity with the bridle caught on it skyward, away from your body and into the wind.
• If you cannot clear the pilot chute, now you have to look over your shoulder to find out if the pin has been extracted or not to determine the type of malfunction you have. Total or Horseshoe (partial)?
• Remember, this is a high speed situation, you are losing altitude fast.
• If your pin has been extracted and the container is open you have a partial (Horseshoe) malfunction, Initiate emergency procedures for a partial malfunction, cutaway (making sure the 3 rings have released thus clearing a path for reserve deployment) and deploy your reserve.

Mykel AFF-I 2005
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

... if the pilot chute was wrapped around the body, would a hook knife be able to cut it away?

A hook knife could definately cut a bridle which is wrapped around the body. However, you musn't forget that a horseshoe is a high speed mal. You don't want to spend the rest of your life fiddlin' for a knife or hacking away at the bridal when the most important thing is to get a canopy overhead....

Would that work?

... Depends on what you mean by "work"... you're definately not going to get a main canopy out of the deal if you cut the pilot chute off. You're best bet in the scenario you describe is to cutaway and deploy the reserve.

[Depending on how high you are (remember you are moving fast!) you may attempt to clear the pilot/chute (read: bridle) from your body between cutaway and reserve deployment but I'm not sure you should even bother.]

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Sorry if this seems a dumb question, and i do not mean to "hijack" the thread at all, but if the pilot chute was wrapped around the body, would a hook knife be able to cut it away?

Would that work?

thanks,

Mike

With a horseshoe, you wouldn't have time to do that.

Well, thank you all for the nice input! Now, let's imagine this: you are under a Horse Shoe... Can't fin the BOC to deal with it... So, you are considering red + silver. Ok, what if you bend your body just before deploying the reserve? let me try to be more specific: what I am trying to say is that may be possible to keep the horse shoe's bridle and the Dbag out of the away of the reserve... So it wouldn't hit the mess during deployment. is that possible?

Try using Brian Germain's packing of the pilot chute to prevent the mal. If the main pin gets popped prematurely, the PC will get pulled out instead of becoming a big ball trapped in the BOC causing the horseshoe. I gave it a test by packing the PC with the main unpacked and gave the bridle a hard fast pull. The PC came right out.

www.bigairsportz.com/pilot-chute.php
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yeah, I tested it. Stupidly, I was going 120 when I did. Hard pull and had to go silver. Later testing showed it was just my BOC that was the problem -- the mouth was sewn in such a way that no matter who packed the PC using Brian's method, it would be impossible to extract.

Any other PC packing method seemed to work, but I've since replaced the BOC so maybe I should try it again.:S
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Protect your pins, replace your main closing loop early and often, keep your main closing loop tight will help prevent a horse-shoe.

Specific to us low timers- when doing a clear and pull at any intentional altitude, you have more than a couple seconds to throw out the PC. If you leave the plane a bit unstable, you have some time to get it right. Happily I learned this on a 7k HnP and was easily able to clear the PC from my foot.

That is great for preventing a PC in tow, but won't help prevent a horse-shoe

No shit :$ I've read horse shoe and my mind went PC in tow. Lovely!

As stated, a nice tight well maintained closing loop. I've seen one too many loose ones. Also get a pin check before exiting. I do it myself, lift the pin cover and touch the pin and the closing loop making sure is not too primed.
Memento Audere Semper

Yeah, I tested it. Stupidly, I was going 120 when I did. Hard pull and had to go silver. Later testing showed it was just my BOC that was the problem -- the mouth was sewn in such a way that no matter who packed the PC using Brian's method, it would be impossible to extract.

Any other PC packing method seemed to work, but I've since replaced the BOC so maybe I should try it again.:S

I've heard of people having problems with Brian's method. It makes the PC short and fat instead of long and thin, but that is the same shape it had when I packed it my old way. If you give the packed PC a good pounding to flatten it out, it extracts more easily. My old Talon container has a BOC cover flap that puts additional pressure on the packed PC. Never had any problems at pull time.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity