charlie5

Should I bring beer for my AFF instructors?

I'm starting AFF tomorrow at Orange.

Should I bring beer for my instructors (for after we're done for the day of course), and if so how much and what kind?
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

>Should I bring beer for my instructors (for after we're done for the day
>of course), and if so how much and what kind?

If you like. It would probably be appreciated, but is in no way expected. If you're going to drink some of it with them (which I would hope would happen) I'd get whatever you liked.

I waited til I was done with AFF to present beer to the DZ. I bought enough for everyone (instructors and locals) to enjoy a couple bottles. I threw some sodas and iced teas in there for those who don't drink. Mixed it up with different imported beers. Have some class too, bring it in a cooler with iceB|.

Its up to you and your personal budget ultimately.

Have a blast with your AFF!

Should I bring beer for my instructors (for after we're done for the day of course), and if so how much and what kind?

Short & Sweet: B|

Yes, Green Bottles Only. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you feel the need to, it will be appreciated. As they said by NO means required.

Steve likes shit in green bottles. I will say that we are a bit of beer snobs. Bring something tasty that you like and I am sure that others would be happy to share with you. However, shit beer cans will be donated to the kicking beer bin that is used for target practice on sunset loads. Alteratively, we usually collect for a community beer run to fill the fridges at night,

Hope your first jump goes well. Should be a fun weekend with a lot of people out.

Thanks for the tips.

I hate shitty beer too, good to know orange appreciates good beer.

Is there a fridge there to keep them cold?
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

4 fridges. Appreciated but not required.

Although I don't particularly like them Steve is fond of Beck's or Heinekin.

I'm partial to Sam Adams myself but I won't be out this weekend. Hope your first jump class goes well and you get good weather.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Should I bring beer for my instructors ... and if so how much and what kind?

Technically, you only owe beer when you graduate AFF (then again when you get your A license, and then again for various other firsts).

But bringing beer before that is not prohibited (and I'm sure if you poll the folks at your DZ, it would be unanimously encouraged). BTW, the green vs brown debate is a red herring. IMO, "green bottles" is a sure sign of low-to-middle brow taste (hieniken, lowenbrau, {yuck}). No worthwhile beer comes in green (although a lot of crappy beer does come in brown).

BTW, in any event you might keep mum about bringing it, and what you brought, it until its over. Here's what happened to the last guy who brough shitty beer before his first jump (the guy in red was really pissed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwK8zwf3Leg&feature=player_detailpage#t=48s

Shit you weren't kidding. I've never seen such a big get get shitfaced off Beck's :D

I also took wild's brown bottle advice and brought Sierra Nevada IPA and that was gone instantly.

lesson learned: Bring much much more beer next time.

Also had freaking blast and can't wait for next weekend. (Prepaid for the whole A license course already).

Shit you weren't kidding. I've never seen such a big get get shitfaced off Beck's :D

I also took wild's brown bottle advice and brought Sierra Nevada IPA and that was gone instantly.

lesson learned: Bring much much more beer next time.

Also had freaking blast and can't wait for next weekend. (Prepaid for the whole A license course already).

Welcome to the jungle! ;)B|:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I would wait until you complete your AFF before bringing beer. I know of at least 1 DZ where if you bring beer on the first jump it will be Expected that you bring some more for each and every training jump after that. Failure to do so will result in you instantly being labeled a "dick" and ostracized. No joke. I'm not saying that's the norm, but if one DZ is like that, chances are others at least a few are the same. Similar thing goes for when you complete your AFF...you better bring a case of good beer or risk a backlash.

If you want to do something nice for your instructor & the DZ (which I fully encourage) bring a cooler full of water if it's hot out, or spring for lunch, or something similar.

I have only ever heard of someone getting the "dick" label if they "owe" beer and don't bring it. I have never heard of someone being expected to bring beer everytime they come out. Hell, we have a jumper who works at Budweiser and he doesn't bring beer out every single time (yes, he brings a ton 98% of the time though). But when he doesn't bring some out we don't get mad at him. We just get really happy everytime he does bring some out. :)
And to all those "beer snobs" out there who complain when a student doesn't bring "good" beer....no, a student should not bring Natural Light or something like that (Beast should be outlawed). But they also shouldn't be expected to bring something that costs $18 for a 12 pack. Something in the middle is good. If you refuse to drink it that's your problem and you're probably a greedy, selfish bastard anyway. In my opinion, the best kind of beer is a free beer. ;)

here here, I'll drink to that.

Yuengling in cans from now on only lol.

You bring that horse piss to the DZ and I'll make sure you fail your AFF jumps.

/I kid
//not really
///B|

:D:D:D:D

Fine, I'll stick to the Sierra Nevada and Becks lol.

I have only ever heard of someone getting the "dick" label if they "owe" beer and don't bring it. I have never heard of someone being expected to bring beer everytime they come out.

I'm not saying it's common. Just saying that I've encountered this at at least 1 DZ. An AFF student brought beer on his first jump. Everyone at the DZ was happy & thankful about it. But they then Expected him to bring beer the next time. When he didn't, they got pissed. It wasn't just one or two people, it was a large majority. And it wasn't just good-natured ribbing, it was hostility and open name calling. It got so bad that as soon as the student was done with his AFF he switched DZs. Surprisingly (or maybe not) most the regulars took a "good ridance" attiude that the "dick who held out on the beer" had left. It's one of the many reasons I won't return to that DZ.

My cautioning statement to the OP is because if this attitude is present at one DZ there is the possibility it exists elsewhere. It's definitely not common, but it's out there.

Which DZ was that at?

The guys are Orange were happy I brought beer and ragged on the guy that got his A license that very same day for never bringing beer.

I made him look bad. :ph34r:

.no, a student should not bring Natural Light or something like that (Beast should be outlawed).

At our DZ the official beer is Busch Lite. Yeah, I know, it's not my choice, and there's usually something better in the back of the fridge. But hey, after a long hot day of jumping, I can drink a BL just fine. ;)