imfromwales

Jumping after a tooth out

**Not the nicest thread, dont read while eating**

I have just had a tooth out yesterday and my girlfriend is doing her first tandem on saturday.

When i had a hole in my tooth (filling needed), whenever I got to altitude there would be the taste of the goo from inside my mouth, meaning there must be something to do with the air pressure difference?

My question is, if the hole in my gum where my tooth was has not gone, will it start and bleed when i get to altitude?

I have just had a tooth out yesterday and my girlfriend is doing her first tandem on saturday.

When i had a hole in my tooth (filling needed), whenever I got to altitude there would be the taste of the goo from inside my mouth, meaning there must be something to do with the air pressure difference?

My question is, if the hole in my gum where my tooth was has not gone, will it start and bleed when i get to altitude?

I'm having trouble factoring in the info about your GF is doing a tandem on Saturday. How does that figure into your question?

I would think that with a cavity in a tooth, a very small opening, and a hard
structure, there could be a pressure difference between the inside of your tooth and the outside pressure which might cause
any fluid inside to leak out.

With your gum, its much softer tissue, a larger opening, and probably no actual enclosed cavity that could retain any pressure, therefore much less likely to have any pressure differential forcing any fluid out of the hole.

This is of course just total conjecture...
__

My mighty steed

Sounds to me like you are better off with the tooth out than with it in. That being said, anything you do to disturb the bloodclot that is sealing the bone from the environment could be detrimental. While jumping per se may not be bad, the added exertion, moving around, etc could increase the chance of dislodging the bloodclot and lead to an infection in that area.

If you are reasonably healthy and the extraction went easily without sutures and lots of effort, then more than likely things will be fine. I usually tell patients to take a few days easy and continue the ibuprofen and icepacks.

Don't smoke!

Also, advice on the internet about your specific health question is like having an AAD and not turning it on... you feel better about having it, but it really isn't providing a service.

(23 years as a practicing dentist, 25 as a jumper)
Jump more, post less!

I'm having trouble factoring in the info about your GF is doing a tandem on Saturday. How does that figure into your question?

She's shopping for a guy with all his teeth. Yeah, that rules out a lot of TI's, but she can hope.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

23 years as a practicing dentist

Well, it's good you weighed-in when you did. I was gonna tell him about the risk of his lower jaw exploding from the, uh, magnetic pressure gradient.

That is still a possibility!

We just like to keep that one quiet......

Jump more, post less!

Top DDS,
I'm curious. What about an abscess? Would the pressure changes cause it to burst? Dry socket is bad enough w/o that on top of it.

An abscess is an infection in the body. Abscessed teeth are especially difficult because there is very little room for swelling. Unlike an infection say in your arm where your arm swells up, the one in your tooth is confined to a narrow space in the tooth, then into the confined space of the bone. That confinement causes the pressure to build up as by-products of the infection increase (pus) and that is what causes the intense pain. Once the infection is opened and drained, relief is almost immediate.

Pressure changes (going up and down in the plane) can cause greater swelling, build up of pressure, and more pain. Very similar to a sinus infection, only decongestants don't help!

A "dry socket" is when the bone itself is exposed to the environment after an extraction without gum tissue or a blood clot to protect it. This allows bacteria to infiltrate the bone and cause a neat little infection. Often times, patients see a white coating in the socket and work to rinse that out not knowing that clotted blood appears white when soaked (think about the times you have been swimming with a scab, it is white when you get out).

Hope this isn't TLDR.

Jump more, post less!

thanks for the replys, although i had already jumped before i managed to read them ;)

That seems to happen somewhat often with advice offered on here.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Hi top,

I do seem to have some memories of 'discussions' down at the tavern, after 11-teen or more beers, on a Saturday nite when a tooth would 'suddenly be extracted' and the tooth loser would be on the first load Sunday morning.

:)

JerryBaumchen

"Just cuz I couldn't walk straight last night doesn't mean I can't fall straight today."

Jump more, post less!

You crazy kids use such wacky language. OK, what's a TLDR? I know what dry socket is after having a bad one a few years back. It was more of a dry trough, really. I guess I didn't phrase the question well. The OP had a tooth pulled. IF he had an abscess? Would the abscess still burst (& infect the gums/jaw) w/the pressure changes? I had always thought dentists waited for abscesses to shrink before pulling the tooth. My oral surgeon pulled one right after mine had started hurting (immensely).

You crazy kids use such wacky language. OK, what's a TLDR?

TLDR= too long, didn't read!

Usually, you can scoop out the abscess when the tooth comes out. The real question with a full on abscess is if the local anesthetic will work sufficiently. Of course, I am on the right side of the instruments to not be too concerned!;)

Jump more, post less!

He wants to give her a "Red Neck" or "Toothless" Kiss Pass... :S:P:D

Anyway...

Over to the OP....

I had a tooth knocked out in freefall once upon a time as a result of a freefall collision... combat RW... and I didn't bleed out before reaching the ground. :| Your experience may differ. :ph34r:

I've done it twice with no probs. YMMV.
Both times pretty recently after the extraction.
See sig.
But what do I know?