DocPop

Katana end cell closure

I have about 80 jumps on my Katana 135 @ 1.5 and until the last 10 or so jumps (ie. this season) I have have no problems with the opening except the occasional off-heading one.

In the last 10 or so I have consistently had end-cell closure of the left 2 cells causing an annoying but not unmanageable turn (I never jump big ways, rarely more than a 4-way).

Things that have crossed my mind include:

- packing technique - I always pack for myself and have not made any major changes recently
- body position - again, I have tried to be consistent with what I always did.
- line trim - it has an HMA lineset so I don't think it should be out of trim.

Any thoughts from the more experienced guys out there?

Thanks.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

You mean besides the thought that a Katana 135 loaded at 1.5 at 200 jumps is a significantly bad choice?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You mean besides the thought that a Katana 135 loaded at 1.5 at 200 jumps is a significantly bad choice?

Thats not the issue here. Don't be so quick to spout off your speculative nonsense. He may or may not have filled out his profile recently.

Yes. Besides that.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Yes. Besides that.

Ok.

Well besides that, the short answer is that end cell closure happens, typically the result of a fairly soft opening. If you notice that it consistently happens on one side of the canopy when you pack, but not when someone else packs for you, then you can track down the packing issue. If it happens when someone else packs for you, then you can track down a possible line trim issue.

If the line trim is correct, it happens when anyone packs for you and it consistently happens to one side (and not the other), then there may be a minor manufacturing defect. To the point that the stitching on one side of the canopy may be 2-3mm off from the other, that sort of thing. It does happen, even with top quality manufactures; however, if the only symptom is an occasional end cell closure, then I would argue that it is a non-issue.

Thats not the issue here. Don't be so quick to spout off your speculative nonsense. He may or may not have filled out his profile recently.

Well, having followed DocPop on the forums for a while, if the jump numbers shown aren't accurate, they're close. A Katana 135 loaded at 1.5:1 is not an appropriate canopy for anyone under at least 500 jumps. At 500 jumps that person better have had some decent canopy coaching.

The Katana is a no-shit swoop monster, arguably the fastest open 9-cell on the market; it is a canopy that will quickly kill you if you are even slightly behind it.

That is something I've learned in my years of competitive swooping and canopy coaching. It is also a canopy I've personally seen "bite" people who got a little behind the canopy.

@CSpenceFLY

Thanks - it is not more than a mild annoyance. I can certainly deal with it without too much of an issue.

@AggieDave

Thank you for this reply (and for not beating the other dead horse). It does open REALLY soft despite my using a totally unmodified PROpack with nothing rolled or stuffed!

I will probably not get anyone else to pack it as I like my packjobs! I will definitely check the linetrim next time it's out of the bag.

~ CanuckInUSA

Yes. Besides that.
Pity you are not closer to me I could introduce to a good friend of mine who has been in hopsital for 3 years due to jumping a Katana 135 at a WL of 1.5 : 1 with 500 jumps.
Bright smart athletic sensible guy he was too. I miss my mate [:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

@CSpenceFLY

Thanks - it is not more than a mild annoyance. I can certainly deal with it without too much of an issue.

@AggieDave

Thank you for this reply (and for not beating the other dead horse). It does open REALLY soft despite my using a totally unmodified PROpack with nothing rolled or stuffed!

I will probably not get anyone else to pack it as I like my packjobs! I will definitely check the linetrim next time it's out of the bag.

BTW. Just so Dave isn't standing out there alone. I am a half inch shorter then I use to be because of a canopy I shouldn't have been under, and it wasn't near as aggressive as the Katana. I demoed one after alot of time in the 1.5 range and found it more ground hungry then I liked.

Be careful.

The way to tell if it's something you're doing or something the canopy is doing is let a real experienced canopy pilot pack it and jump it a few times. You say the issue started this season. I didn't see where you're from, but could something have happened to it while it was stored for the winter?
--- Don't read the rest of this if you think Aggie Dave is arrogant ---
250 jumps total in 4 years and 10 this season - I think Dave has a point.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

To the point that the stitching on one side of the canopy may be 2-3mm off from the other, that sort of thing.
wow! 2-3mm! WOW! That's all it takes?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Besides for the warning about your skills, I have over 1,000 jumps on a Katana, both a 170 and a 120.

I never have had closed end cells with any regularity, so I think something is a bit fishy with your canopy as it seems a bit abnormal. I have not jumped a 135, so that size may have a bit more end cell closure than others???

The 170 - the opening feels a bit more "two staged" where the first "pull" is the canopy out of the bag where the slider hangs at the top for a second or two, then the second "pull" is when the slider quickly comes down. The 120 - the slider typically comes down much sooner and with a bit more smoothness... But both canopies open wonderfully and I like them both.

Being it is a HP canopy, check absolutely everything on the lines and risers... Any twists in the lines? Hooked up symmetrically? Risers same length? Lines same length? Yes, a very small difference in length changes everything.

If everything is good - then maybe send the canopy to PD to do a few test jumps. Or order a demo of a canopy of the same size to determine if it is "you" or "the canopy". A Katana pays attention to you on opening. If you are telling it to open weird, by body position (even just a shoulder dropped a hair) - it will pay attention and do what you tell it to do. Once you learn the canopy, you can correct any misbehavior on opening by counteracting...

Thanks for your experiences. That is useful information.

What are you loading your two canopies at? I did wonder if I was just not loading mine enough (1.5) to avoid end cell closure, but unless you're a pretty big lad your probably not loading your 170 more.

We are having yet another weather day today (what an awful spring for jumping), so I may get my canopy out and do a complete inspection with a rigger - line trim and all.

~ CanuckInUSA

Doc
I have jumped a Katana120 and Aggie Dave is right about the softness of the opening maybe causing the end cell closure. I have had both my end cells having to be popped open with the brakes occasionally and it has been a non-issue.

On the flying of the canopy. I have been occasionally bit by the canopy landing it in turbulent air. The last time flying it through an invisible dust devil where the canopy suddenly turned about 80 degrees when I was about a foot or two off the ground and I absolutely did nothing with the toggles to cause it. The canopy is the Cirrus of canopies and you have to be constantly ahead of it. Another reason you have to be constantly ahead of the canopy cause it's ground hungry. That ground hungryness however converts to more lift at the end.

We all make choices. While I believe that it is a bad choice to be jumping this canopy with low jump numbers I can only say you alone know your limitations and from my own personal experience with the canopy sometimes I exceeded my own even with 2000+ jumps and it's not a good thing. I kind of have a love hate relationship with the canopy. I know Aggie Dave and he was only trying to keep you safe.

Personally, of all the canopies I have jumped I like my Samurai 136 the best. It has never treated me bad and has always opened soft and I can land it in most any condition. Unfortunately it is not being made anymore at the moment as Brian Germain has taken time off from building canopies to raise his family.

Thanks for your input, freakyrat.

I do get lovely soft openings, I guess some end cell closure is the price I have to pay for that.

I don't get the Cirrus reference?? I am guessing that's a plane?

The ground hungriness is one of the things I like about this canopy, along with the speed and the ability to use harness input to get some significant effect.

Thanks also for your opinion on safety, and please let me assure you that I did not take AggieDave's comments as anything other than constructive and responsible.

~ CanuckInUSA

The Cirrus SR20 and SR22 are airplanes that pilots have occasionally got behind the power curve on. After jumping the Katana I have to get used to jumping a big regular square canopy for wingsuit flying and I haven't got it all figured out yet. So it's a reverse learning curve.

Just dropped in to update that the openings are much better on my new Katana 120 - quicker, more on-heading and with less end cell closure.

Apparently Katanas like to be loaded up a little more than I was doing.

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks for letting us know you downsized. Glad to hear you're loading your Katana, which some of us might have forgotten you own and (apparently) fly, up a little more.

Wait, that was the point of the post, right?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Nice Troll DocPop.
I also like to follow your posts and I'm fully aware that you love to try and entice the experienced Swoopers like Aggiedave and Davelepka into a good trolling.

However, if you really want to reel them in please post video of you swooping your new K120.
Please show us a nice fat 270 through the gates!

p.s. You need to up your game if you are gonna be anywhere near as entertaining as Petejones45.

You need to up your game if you are gonna be anywhere near as entertaining as Petejones45.

OMG - I just found my next signature tag-line here, with this!

You sir, owe me a new monitor for the one I just ruined, spewing my Mountain Dew forcefully all over it! :D
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Nice Troll DocPop.

No troll.

Last week I got a new 120 and I am not doing 270s with it. I went back to 90s. Don't want to rush things. ;)

I am surprised by how much harder the rears are for just one size smaller.

~ CanuckInUSA

DocPop,
Your post is slipping down the listings so I'm gonna help you out with your trolling and reply.
Thus putting it to the top of the list again and hopefully draw in the attentions of Aggiedave and Davelepka.
Unfortunately their silence speaks volumes and that's because you simply do not need their advice.
You obviously have mad skills and to be honest I think a K120 is holding you back. You'll be bored of that in 50 jumps and you really should have just manned up and gone straight to a K107. That way, you'll just be one step away from the fabled sub 100 cross brace (Velo 96).
When you have dialed in your 270's, don't forget to post the video, a GoPro on the helmet and another on the foot would make awesome footage.
And if you want a set of electronic swoop gates then let me know as I have a set ready to ship. I have a feeling you'll be ready for competition soon and definitely do not want to hold you back.
Safe swoops and I'm glad you've resolved your end cell closure.

p.s. This Skygod attitude was sponsored by DocPop trolling, thankyou for listening.