peek

Open reserve container in C-182

Open reserve container in C-182.

Very experienced jumper, rig type unknown. (I forgot to see what kind it was although I recall it was not a type with an exposed or partially exposed pilot chute). He was sitting with his back to the instrument panel, there was no "back rest" type device to keep rig away from the panel. His movement was minimal.

He could tell when it happened, announced the problem, and stayed in position, holding the pilot chute trapped as we descended. The door was never open with the pilot chute out.

There are multiple bad things that can happen when a container makes contact with an airplane:

1. The airplane can a.) damage the container or b.) cause the container to come open.

2. The container can damage the airplane, especially some of the more fragile controls on the dash of a smaller plane.

Ideas for prevention:

1. Make a "back rest" to keep the container away from the panel. (Don't count on this as a for-sure fix, but it can help. Especially helpful for if you have student rigs up against them, because new students are more clumsy about their movement.)

2. Use continued vigilance to prevent your rig everyone's rig from rubbing against (anything).

3. If you are sitting in that position, ask the pilot to look at how your container and its flaps are interacting with anything on the panel. All pilots are more than happy to check this for you because they don't want their controls in jeopardy.

Some combinations of jumper size, rig size, and flap/pin position just happen to line up to make this kind of thing possible. It doesn't always take much movement.

In a way, it is a fragile environment in which we skydive. Please be careful.

One would assume that his 'minimal movement' dislodged the pin. I'd be interested to know if the jumper, or anyone esle, checked the seating of the reserve pin prior to the jump and whether or not there was a lot of play in the reserve cable i.e. could body movement and flex of the cable within the harness had an effect.

I once had a main open in a very cramped plane when I was shifting my body to try and give a tandem room. I had my back to the rear wall of the plane (Beaver) and pushed back and felt it go. I too restrained it until landing, although this being Oz everyone else left the aircraft and I had to manage on my own with an open container!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Similar situation where I was moving just after takeoff to give someone a little breathing room in the PAC-750, felt my bag fall out.

Since I was doing video and right next to the door, we just kept the door closed and I took the rig off, put the bag back in the container, closed it, put it back on and then did the tandem interview.

Jump was uneventful and not even a line twist on opening!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

could body movement and flex of the cable within the harness had an effect.

I've seen four people yanked off the step of a 182 by their reserves, 3 on S/L's and one exp guy who hit the tail and then rode the majorly damaged reserve in. IN all cases with these guys they were too big for the gear and flexing the rig pulled the reserve. In the case of the students, we had been telling the DZO the cables were too short, he did not listen until after the 3 sl's, all on the same load BTW> Not saying that is the case here, but too many people don't think it can happen.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

yep all three SL students, who I had just trained, and they paid close attention to the two part of the class, cuz they were freaked out about it... then all three had two out. The reason was you can't take a reserve handle/cable that is to short and install it and then cram 3 big ass football linebacker built guys into the rig and expect it to work as designed. IF you do when they bend over or reach for the wing, it pulls the pin.

Same thing on the 4th guy, only the reserve cable was the correct one, he was just huge, same story, when climbing out all that movement pull the main lift webbing and that pulled the pin.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I seriously can't count the number of times I've been on planes when containers (either main or reserve) have come open. Many, many times......Always from laying back and scooting around. I've seen more than a few people have premature deployments off the step of Cessnas as well. It pays to be vigilant with your handles and pins in close quarters.

Chuck

The 'most' I've seen are two mains out in the cabin.

While on the 82nd demo team in the early 80's, we were doing a demo into the Charlotte 500.

We were at about 10.5' and just about to call doors open when Paul Jackson's main bag drops to the floor in front of me! No problem! He flopped onto his belly and I whipped out my pullup cord. I reclosed his main and all was well....
.....for about 2 seconds....when I felt a gentle pop and my main dropped onto my legs!

Rinse, repeat, pin checks all around, open doors and exit. ;)

peek

***Why did the container open?

The jumper's movement, even though it was minimal. It doesn't take much sometimes.

Kids these days...that happened to me once when Dave was flying back in Sparta...I took the rig off & closed the container on the way to 9500' ~ 4 ways went great! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

NSEMN8R

I've seen it twice where someones main popped open in the plane. Both times they took off the rig and closed it back up without pulling the pc out of the pouch. Both times the people ended up with a pc in tow.

...................................................................................

Several people had the same problem with Vector Tandem drogue bridles.

After 2 similar incidents, the Relative Workshop INSISTED that drogues be pulled before re-closing Vector 2 tandems.

A DZO once told me that I would be FIRED if I tried to reclose a Vector 2 without pulling the drogue out of the pouch and double-checking bridle routing.