AHoyThere

Recent successful Mr Bill jump with a pretty good video.

Hey, I know some of you guys. Mr. Bill plus CRW too. Nice video. The "hand signals" were special too.

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the props on the vid.
It was something we've been wanting to do for a LONG time and finally got around to trying it.
It was a lot of fun and just wanted to share it.
I thought John did a great job with editing the vid.

When you going to come visit us again?

The "hand signals" were special too.

I thought that ruined the whole thing. It was crude and unnecessary, and spoiled the amazing mood of the video. It's a lousy distraction to see a beautiful woman doing something so amazing, and then to spoil it with crude hand gestures like that.

In my humble old-fart opinion.

You may all now commence to tell me how horrible I am, and those of you who agree with me may now commence to cower in silence to avoid looking un-cool like me.

I guess my "Fail" statement was too blanket and I was asked to do a public service announcement.

Ok Kids don't do Mr. Bill jumps. The OP is a pro and promoting it was justified by him for various reasons.

John Rich and I old farts with too much concern for safety or class.:D

The "hand signals" were special too.

I thought that ruined the whole thing. It was crude and unnecessary, and spoiled the amazing mood of the video. It's a lousy distraction to see a beautiful woman doing something so amazing, and then to spoil it with crude hand gestures like that.

In my humble old-fart opinion.

You may all now commence to tell me how horrible I am, and those of you who agree with me may now commence to cower in silence to avoid looking un-cool like me.

Sorry. The 'hand gesture' thing has become a bit of a sub-culture, 'Term of Endearment' at this DZ. Not sure how it started over the last couple of years. I think it is an extension of the 'Him, him... f# him" chant. Utterly crude but has a frequent presence at many a dz.

Some of the newer jumpers have been working at getting their pics for their FB page etc. of them backing out of the door on exit displaying the gesture. At a lot of drop zones, there are a lot of little traditions that get established. Not sure how this tradition(?) became established at this DZ.

As a card carrying member of the Old Guy club, I hear you loud and clear.
Kids these days, I tell you.

As a card carrying member of the Old Guy club, I hear you loud and clear.
Kids these days, I tell you.

Thank you fellow old farts for daring to speak out against what's "cool".
Blowing a kiss would have been far more classy than the rude finger symbols.
I now return this thread to its regular programming.

I was asked why Mr. Bill jumps are not cool? Fuck, I give up.:S

Don't give up.
We have pages and pages of threads talking about downsizing too soon. Putting on cameras too soon. Doing demos too soon. Chasing tandems too soon. Jumping from Balloons too soon. Swooping too soon. Doing BASE too soon. Doing wing suits too soon. And doing any of these without proper instruction from those more experienced.

There has been a lot written about all of these other extensions above and beyond the basic skydive. But very little has been written cautioning jumpers about the risks, dangers, and preparations that should be given consideration in preparing for doing a stunt like this. That's why the blanket 'fail' statement wasn't enough.

In the case of a Mr. Bill dive, if the jumpers haven't done hundreds of Hop-n-Pops, in order to make sure that they can exit stable every single time, then they should probably make a few hundred (or many more) hop-n-pops before even considering a stunt like this. What should be the correct actions to take if the exit goes unstable? What extra equipment is needed (hook knives), etc? If you even think there is a chance that you might go unstable with the exit or end up head down on the exit, then don't even think about trying a Mr. Bill.

It is fun to try new things as we continue gaining experience. That's why there are so many different disciplines and why this is such a great sport.

Hopefully the old timers on these forums can keep on doing what they can to keeping it safe.

The harness is not designed for that. You didn't even wear helmets. Nice hand cam. I'm sure the girl looked up to you as a sky god. Now she is an expert ready to show someone else. Sweet.

I never needed to see a video of one to know they are a bad idea. Noobs don't need to see a video of one to think they are a good idea.

Where is the list of Mr. Bill fatalities that is large as the day is long? We have one for low pulls, swooping, and other more dangerous elements of the sport.

Mr. Bill aren't an ordinary jump, they aren't to be taken lightly, and they aren't well suited for 100 jump wonders.

The same can be said about a number of the disciplines in this sport.

It is cool, way cool, except for the notches that girl is going to get in her ears if she ever has a bad riser slap! When they go horribly wrong they make for spectacular videos. :o:D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P