Hezza

Skydiving pregnant...?

I am curious to know if there are any ladies out there who have ever skydived while pregnant or if any ladies know first hand someone who did and was there any issues that came about from it or was everything fine?

I have about 70 jumps and my B license with the cspa to give you an idea of where I stand in experience.

Besides the few who are currently still posting on DZ.com, there is the entirety of those who have posted in the past on the subject. :)
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_type=AND&search_string=pregnant

edit: fixed link and to add that it ultimately becomes a question of risk/reward that only the pregnant individual can answer for herself.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Child endangerment occurs when someone:

Causes or permits a child to suffer unjustifiable physical pain or mental suffering,
Willfully causes or permits a child in their care to be injured, or
Willfully causes or permits a child to be placed in a dangerous situation.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

When it comes to things like medicine (or law, etc.), personal-experience anecdotes by non-experts are what they are, but they really only have limited value. What may have worked out fine for one patient may not for another.

If you really want a proper opinion that conveys value, ask YOUR OB/GYN, who knows you, your body, your pregnancy and your medical condition first-hand, what kind of physical & athletic you should or should not engage in, and when.

Nothing else really adequately substitutes for that. Sorry to be a poop.

And if your OB/GYN is adamantly opposed to it simply because it's skydiving, then you need to either quit skydiving, or find one who will work with you.

Because you really need to trust your doctor. Also, at your level of experience, it might be better to quit anyway. Normally I'd recommend toning your jumping down at least one notch -- at 70 jumps, there's not a lot of toning-down that can be done.

I jumped until I was about 5 months pregnant, with the agreement of my OB, and with about 1000 jumps. I did tone it down. My son is fine, and has never jumped since being born :ph34r:. Just not that interested.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I jumped until I was about 5 months pregnant, with the agreement of my OB, and with about 1000 jumps. I did tone it down. My son is fine, and has never jumped since being born :ph34r:. Just not that interested.

...any more. He was born with a B license.

...any more. He was born with a B license.

That begs the question... can we come up with a skydiving version of the old adage "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" ? :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My wife Nancy LaRiviere jumped until late in her pregnancy. She did this with the consult of Dr. Robert McPhearson (A Skydiver) RIP who explained that there is a gradient of several thousand feet in the womb. I forget how much as my son is now 24 and that was a while ago. This gradient is added to your altitude in the womb and reduces the atmosphere (O2) available to the baby.
To off set this Nancy jumped with sublimental O2 during the term. Don't forget to use aviators O2 as it is dry and won't freeze at altitude.

My wife Nancy LaRiviere jumped until late in her pregnancy. She did this with the consult of Dr. Robert McPhearson (A Skydiver) RIP who explained that there is a gradient of several thousand feet in the womb. I forget how much as my son is now 24 and that was a while ago. This gradient is added to your altitude in the womb and reduces the atmosphere (O2) available to the baby.
To off set this Nancy jumped with sublimental O2 during the term. Don't forget to use aviators O2 as it is dry and won't freeze at altitude.

You bring up a good point. Not only that, but reduced atmospheric pressure has been known to induce labor. Both my kids were born in military hospitals in HI and Okinawa, and if a typhoon was coming in, they made women who more advanced come in and wait it out in the hospital.

Although I did jump in the early months.

YMMV
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

There are a ton of threads on this subject. My wife, Vskydiver, jumped up to 7 months pregnant thru all 4 pregnancies. All the kids turned out as normally as they could have for having skydivers for parents.

But nothing is without risk in the world.

IMO horrrrible idea... One bad landing or ect. Kids gone... Kinda irresponsible in my opinion...:/

So's skydiving, when you come down to it. The relative responsibility is a discussion that belongs among the mother, father, and doctor.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So all those women that smoke during pregnancy need to go to jail?:S

[Let's add another... what about driving? :o
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Causes or permits a child to suffer unjustifiable physical pain or mental suffering,

The logical end-point of that discussion would land this thread in Speakers Corner. Just sayin'.

See the whole board. ;)

The logical end-point of that discussion would land this thread in Speakers Corner. Just sayin'.

See the whole board. ;)

Yep... it's a close line.

My wife (an MD) jumped up to about four months. Several women at Perris have jumped later than that. During my AFF JCC a female evaluator was jumping with us at six months pregnant, and was drinking a fair amount in the evening.

It's up to you. Talk to a good OB/GYN about the risks you are taking and the potential harm to both you and your future child, and make your own decision on what you are comfortable with. There are plenty of OB/GYN's who are also skydivers; they might be a good place to start.

My wife (an MD) jumped up to about four months. Several women at Perris have jumped later than that. During my AFF JCC a female evaluator was jumping with us at six months pregnant, and was drinking a fair amount in the evening.

It's up to you. Talk to a good OB/GYN about the risks you are taking and the potential harm to both you and your future child, and make your own decision on what you are comfortable with. There are plenty of OB/GYN's who are also skydivers; they might be a good place to start.

I'd be curious to hear an OB/GYN's opinions as to
(a) her drinking that quantity/regularity (whatever that was) at 6 mos pregnant, and
(b) the broadly-applicable medical value of the drinking part of that individual anecdote.

The main issue is injuring yourself during the pregnancy, IMHO.

I couldn't imagine a pregnant woman enjoying her last trimester with a broken femur or ankle.

I never had to be a part of the type of decision so I really can't make a valid contribution as to what I 'did or would do'...

I know an old skydiving couple that BOTH hung it up for the duration of the pregnancy...B|

I've seen many pregnant women jump without a problem ~ I did however also see an bad landing at a boogie back in the late 80's that did not turn out well for the unborn child.

Personal decision weighing risk & reward

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So all those women that smoke during pregnancy need to go to jail?:S

~Depends on what they're smoking, and yeah I'm being kinda serious on that one.

There is a case down here in which one of a mothers prior children was born addicted and with birth defects...now pregnant again and busted for drugs.

IMO she SHOULD be locked up.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Parachutist Magazine had an article a few years ago on it.
A quick search found this:

http://www.skysisters.com.au/userfiles/files/Pregnancy.pdf

It gives some interesting information without judgement.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo