CrazyIvan

HALO jumps

A jump from 20,000, opening at 2000 feet is considered a HALO jump. Do you mean - can you jump with the military? I would doubt it unless you have some _very_ close connections. Can you get an MT1X and a rucksack, go to the DZ, and jump from a plane at 20,000 feet with other military dudes? Definitely.

Can civilians make one of those? or just military personnel? I wonder if they invite skydivers from time to time.

Yes you can. Call SkyDance SkyDiving (530)753-2651 or check out www.skydanceskydiving.com

We do 30,000 MSL skydives twice a year.

Blue Skies,
-jp-
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yes you can. Call SkyDance SkyDiving (530)753-2651 or check out www.skydanceskydiving.com

We do 30,000 MSL skydives twice a year.

Blue Skies,
-jp-

Wow, that's very intreresting and cool, ok, now I need to jump 200 times to qualify :P, thanks for the info

The Military considers any jump with a delay over I think 5 seconds? with out a S/L A HALO jump. In fact at HALO school most jumps are from 12.5 due to the extra restrictions going high where you need O2.

Most training HALO jumps are from 12ish as well.

There are several places that you can do high altitude jumps.

1. Skydance has a class that I hear is very good. I don't know what it costs, but I have been told it is expensive, but about the closest to the HALO type...you use a bail out bottle on one from 12, and then from a "higher" one.

2. Mike Mullins does them from time to time, and at the WFFC. He charges 2 regular tickets, and uses O2 during the climb to ALT only.

3. Skydive City in Z-Hills does them about 1-2 time a mth.
Cost is 2 tickets, and you use O2 on the ride up as well.

There is one way to do a HALO jump with the military that I know of: Call 1 800 GO ARMY and give them a few years of your life. Try to get "rigger" in YUMA, AZ....other than that you will have to go "Special Ops". (SF, some Ranger and LRSD units).

Other than that, you should go with #1 above.

Chuck correct me if I am wrong....I have trained people up to challenge the course, but never got to go myself :(

Damn 82 SL'ers

Airborne

Ron

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

HELL NO!!! GO NAVY!! :P

I knew you've always wanted to be a semen!:D

If you have the opportunity to visit Alaska during the summer, check out http://www.alaskaskydiving.com when they have their boogie. I did their hi-alti jump from 20k this year. It was $75 and included a flight seeing tour of Danali. We even flew between the N and S peaks, saw a couple of base camps, and the nicest blue from glaciers.
My other ride is the relative wind.

Hey theres nothing wrong with the navy. My father was a 13 year Vet Of the Navy S.E.A.L.S pretty cool if you ask me....He has done some HALO jumps before and in fact is the one that first got me interested in the sport alltogether. But thats another story IF ya gonna crack on anyone why not the Marines?

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

:ph34r:

- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

My girlfriend and I made the HALO jump at Skydance this past September.It was neat,awesome and expensive.It takes a lot of preparation including getting a class three FAA medical.altitude chamber training and then getting to California.The stuff that the guy who runs it has cost a shitload of money to both purchase and maintain.The physiological difference between the low 20's and 30,000 is revealed once you get to the training.Its sort of like a high speed Casa jump.You only really need to do it once.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I done high altitude from about 20k to 25k, not sure the Alti III won't register and I was always too far back to see the A/C altimeter. My alt started to read again at about 16k. As far as the military stuff I don't know. I think it would suck. It's night, no freefly, ride down is so long you'd probably fall asleep, no swoops, and 150 lbs of weapons and explosives strapped between your legs. Dude, stick to $25 for 25k at the boogie.

Also, I've heard rumor of them bringing back the challenge for the HALO course. Of course this was from a 3rd grp guy who hasn't been to it. Any truth to that?

one of our jumpers owns a number of HALO rigs

Uhm, in what way do "HALO rigs" differ from the standard sport rig?

For one, it is huge and heavy in comparison. The main and reserve are both 7 cell, 375sq' F1-11(equivelent) canopies. The concept is the same but just about everything is beefed up from the container to the main lift web. Variations not commonly seen on civilian rigs are the presence of D rings on each side of the main lift web(which is adjustable) for attaching the ruck sack and lowering line, an oxygen bayonet(attachment point for the O2 hose) O2 bottle pocket, a "belly strap", B-12 leg snaps, adjustable horizontals and an external FF2 pocket(think cypress). The main canopy is deployed with a steel cable ripcord that is stowed in the rip cord retainer on the jumpers right, out board side of the main lift web, chest level. The handle is unique in shape and large to allow for a jumper to grasp it while wearing heavy gloves. The reserve handle is stowed in board on the main left web on the jumpers left side. Accross from it is the standard red cut away pilow. The main canopy is deployed via a spring loaded pilot chute that is compressed during the packing and held in place by the pack closing loop. The container is held closed by the rip cord pin which is straight and runs back to the ripcord handle in the ripcord cable housing. The FF2 is cocked before every jump and is "set" by calculating using what is known as a whiz wheel. The desired opening altitude, elevation of the DZ and the barometer reading are used to acquire what numerical setting the FF2 has to be set to by the jumper. FF2s activate once they reach the input altitude regardless of speed or if your under canopy.The FF2 is armed when the jumpmaster gives the "ARM" hand and arm signal, usually at 6k. The FF2 must be rearmed if the A/C is going to descend below 6k or they will activate and you will have a bunch of pissed off guys and a lot of D bags on the floor. The FF2 functions like a big spring that pulls the main rip cord pin out of the pack closing loop. Once the FF2 setting is dialed in by the jumper, it is held in place close to the pack closing loop via a directional bayonet. The jumper then places it into the FF2 pocket and snaps in it. The jumper then uses his pull up cord(if he was smart he left it in after closing the container) to allow for the pin to be removed and routed through the activation end of the FF2. If the jumper does not have the pull up cord in place, he must unscrew the activating end and thread the device around the pin and then screw the knurled nut back down enough that 3 threads are visable. EVERY jumper must be inspected by a jumpmaster prior to boarding the A/C

Think of a tandem rig on steroids and that is pretty much what a HALO rig is like. Did I mention it was heavy?;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

HALO jumps.... Think I would take a pass on that. If I'm payin' to jump,give me a little canopy and some friends to freefly with. Jumping at night with a bunch of junk strapped to ya, falling "down the pipe"and then spending the canopy ride looking out for some idoit with 30 jumps,who is flying around friggin lost... No thanks. But then again,if ya haven't done it,who knows might be your thing. "Monkey see...Monkey do" Josh

And where can you get one of those? (Not that I'm buying one, just curious) :P

See your friendly neighborhood recruiter and ask for details:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING