A.Stieda

Apprehensive about AFF 2

It's in your mind. You're getting enough oxygen, so it's pure tension. Focus on something else, and it won't be noticeable, and pretty soon it'll be completely gone.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Sometimes just sticking one's face out into fast moving cold air can make breathing hard for someone not used to it.

Depending on the aircraft etc there might be a chance for your instructors to let you stick your head out the door for a little bit to try to get used to the air more.

Otherwise the advice is to "breathe normally" -- easier said than done when tense or hyped up. And breathe through your nose.

A really good trick is to employ a yoga technique, ujjayi breathing. It is used to help focus. But a better thing would be for you to look at how you can rid yourself of the performance and "ah crap, I'm going to die" anxiety which is perfectly normal for someone at your level.

Although not a "skydiving" book, there is a book which was written several years ago addressing the mental aspects of rock climbing which can easily be applied to beginning skydiving. The book is called, "The Rock Warrior's Way." written by Arno Ilgner. In a nutshell, it talks about how the negative thinking and self talk while climbing (think skydiving) can affect our performance.

FWIW, and I don't know if you do this or not, but avoid the energy drinks / caffeine on your jump days. These will increase your heart rate (which may already be jacked anyway if it's your first AFF) which increases oxygen demand, and constricts blood flow to your muscles which also increases oxygen demand.

Also, exercise can help. Exercising regularly will increase your aerobic capacity, which is just a way of saying your muscles will require less oxygen to perform the same action.
Skydiving is serious business

(Hi, first post here at DZ. Hope I don't have to regret this in a few years when I look back at old posts).

No need to worry. I had this happen on the tandem we did before starting AFF. Next time, I just held my chin up a little bit more and smiled and that solved it. Same thing happened to a few others in my class as well, but smiling seems to have done the trick for everybody. My tip would be to not overthink things, just focus on the program.

JohnMitchell

Sometimes holding your chin up higher helps. The wind isn't as directly in your face and you'll arch better too.

You'll probably get used to it soon. Don't worry. :)

THIS^
Chin up, smile, scream as loud as you can...seriously.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

wmw999

It's in your mind. You're getting enough oxygen, so it's pure tension. Focus on something else, and it won't be noticeable, and pretty soon it'll be completely gone.

Wendy P.

As Wendy points out you have to "Relax," hang loose,...

Perhaps you should mention the pressure to your jumpmasters, and just have another fun jump with reduced pressure,?,
you said it yourself too much pressure, it's not a race just relax, it will all work out:)C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

obelixtim

Try breathing out!!!.

^This.

A lot of people have "trouble breathing" early on.
What is actually happening is that you aren't exhaling.

You pull air in, then pull more air in, then try to pull even more air in. But your lungs are already full, so there's no more room. And you think that you can't breathe.

The easiest way to fix this problem is to scream as you exit. Not only does it make you exhale, it amuses the others on the plane. ;)
I know TIs that tell the students "If you start to feel like you can't breathe, then scream as loud as you can."

If you don't want to "scream like a little girl", then shouting the count "Ready!! SET!!! GO!!!!!!!!!!" will do it.

It will be a non issue very quickly.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

ChrisD

***It's in your mind. You're getting enough oxygen, so it's pure tension. Focus on something else, and it won't be noticeable, and pretty soon it'll be completely gone.

Wendy P.

As Wendy points out you have to "Relax," hang loose,...

Perhaps you should mention the pressure to your jumpmasters, and just have another fun jump with reduced pressure,?,
you said it yourself too much pressure, it's not a race just relax, it will all work out:)C

What does 'relax' mean? How to relax?

:)
There are so many different things you can do face to face,...
that you cant do on the internet,...

When you check in with your students , an astute instructor, or just anybody really, can get a great feeling for how uptight someone is,...

There is soo much in this kind of e-mail traffic that gets lost, all of your body language and facial expressions, how someone writes, how information gets transmitted, all subject to misinterpertation. How much information, quality, fidelity, is it being recived and fully understood?

All missing here!

So why is a newbie, at one jump, posting stuff here and not having this discussion with his / her jumpmasters? Where this type of thing gets cleared up almost instantly??

C

Maybe the board admins should put a requirement in the code so that unless a valid A - D license number is entered in a persons profile they can't post.... Only read. And to prevent anyone with less than X number of jumps from giving advice or even opening their mouth, there ought to be a requirement for replying too.

Come on. Someone new noticed something weird happening to their body in an even weirder environment and wants a little encouragement. Asking a coach/instructor is of course the best way to go, but its not the ONLY way to go in an instnce like this. It's okay to ask around.

I was asking for the benefit of the OP.

All too often people tell students to relax without explaining what that means exactly. I was hoping you would provide him with input on your meaning.

So why is a newbie, at one jump, posting stuff here and not having this discussion with his / her jumpmasters? Where this type of thing gets cleared up almost instantly??

Well, maybe because this forum provides one more learning opportunity for students. As far as 'cleared up', well, IMO, that's not always the case. Often the student is asking here because it was not made clear by his home boys and girls. It should have been made clear at the jump 1 debrief. Evidently, it wasn't so we give them some leeway and try to help but we need to be as specific as we can. And yes, the caveat of 'talk to your instructors' is valid in most cases...but we can never say all cases.

Exactly.

"Ask your instructor" seems to be the default response to anyone new who asks a question - and although there is a good reason for that, sometimes it gets really frustrating for newer folks like myself who KNOW to ask their coaches and WILL ask their coaches but also are seeking out additional insight from others.

There's a lot that I would have loved to share with the forums recently but quite honestly don't want to deal with the backlash that comes from someone new opening their mouth. All new folks arent dangerous idiots and not all folks with lots of jumps are the smartest and sharpest.

What im trying to say here, through the frustration, is that I think it would be nice to see more welcoming attitudes sometimes.

Ok how about this:

Close to twenty years working in an emergency enviornment, military, pilot, EMT II, etc,...

Tells me you are "Hyperventilating and at risk of passing out in a freefall.

My advice would be to seek out a full exam from a competent "Flight Surgon," NOT a FAA medical examinier, before your next jump. The life you save may be your own.

C

The problem is obviously on your mind. I think many of the tips given here are pretty good. In case none of them work out maybe you can try to book a couple of minutes in a wind tunnel. The wind conditions will be very similar, the only difference is that probably you'll be more relaxed, hence you'll breathe as normal. Once your body gets used to breathe with strong winds you'll do it on freefall without noticing.

BigMikeH77

Exactly.

"Ask your instructor" seems to be the default response to anyone new who asks a question - and although there is a good reason for that, sometimes it gets really frustrating for newer folks like myself who KNOW to ask their coaches and WILL ask their coaches but also are seeking out additional insight from others.

There's a lot that I would have loved to share with the forums recently but quite honestly don't want to deal with the backlash that comes from someone new opening their mouth. All new folks arent dangerous idiots and not all folks with lots of jumps are the smartest and sharpest.

What im trying to say here, through the frustration, is that I think it would be nice to see more welcoming attitudes sometimes.

My 2 cents, deal with the "backlash." You stand a greater chance of learning something as compared with keeping your mouth shut.

There is some truth to the "sink" or "swim" attitude in this sport.:S

C

So you never tensed up on exit and had to make a concerted effort to BREATHE? I sure did... Then, after more jumps and tunnel time and a little meditation, actually learned (and am still learning) to RELAX and enjoy the whole thing. No one ever told me to get a physical... :|

A.Stieda

I did my AFF Level 1 yesterday and as soon as I was in freefall I found it extremely hard to breathe. I was trying to take huge breathes but it felt like I was barely getting any air. Any tips on how to fix this?

You have to look at the words they use:

"extremely"

"barely getting any air"

This isn't something like having a bad day at work,...

This is exactly what someone having an asthma attack says,

this is what someone in dire distress says,...

C

If I'm wrong, then so what??

If I'm correct,...????

My 2 cents, deal with the "backlash." You stand a greater chance of learning something as compared with keeping your mouth shut.

There is some truth to the "sink" or "swim" attitude in this sport.:S

C

I said there were things I whould have liked to "share", not things I would have liked to "ask." No point in asking anything when I know there's going to be nine people responding with "ask your instructor" and "you can't learn to skydive on the internet".

But this isn't about me. it's about the OP who just did their AFF-1 and realizes how alien of an environment it really is up there. Whether youve got 1 jump, 17 jumps, or 5,000 jumps that's something we ALL know about.

So PM the people you trust!

Share for a laugh, or whatever, words can hurt, Yes I understand, I love reading your stuff! But please forge boldly ahead...

Sharing also on a public forum, [:/] Krisanne, (NWflyer) said it best by pointing out; "you takes your chances."

Things can get heated but I honestly, some, perhaps many, work out stuff by this constant banter,...

This forum and all of this hurtfull stuff my save someones ass someday?? I honestly belive this!
C

There's some truth there.
The way I always put it is, "listen to the message, not the tone."

If you are closing your ears (and mouth) because somebody is not talking to you in the manner that you prefer, you may be missing out on some really good information.

Put another way, "SIUCC. Grow some balls, asshole!"
:D:D:o

Either way, there's a real message.