grimmie

Tsunami Skydivers, Oceanside ,CA

Many of the regulars here already know of my plans to open a DZ at Oceanside Municipal Airport, in California. I had hoped for a November opening.

This article hit the NC Times this morning and some of you have called or sent e-mails, thanks for the kind words.
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_e90584b6-aa87-5f87-aa9b-d24fcd670538.html

I am meeting individually with each city council member and the mayor. This airport has been a hot item of discontent with certain NIMBY residents. As of now it appears I will have the majority vote at the December 8th city council meeting and have approval of the city to land on their property next to the runway.

We were supposed to be on the October 20th agenda and start jumping in November. There were some minor changes made to the land use agreement by city staff. We got pushed back on the schedule. You can't fight city hall:P

I plan on tandems and C/D license holders at first. This was a requirement agreed upon by me and the company that runs the airport for the city. In the future we will look into AFF training.

Skyride has two domain names, skydiveoceanside and oceansideskydiving. I have offered to buy them to no avail and have discussed legal action to get the domains. As of now we will be called Tsunami Skydivers, Oceanside. More on that as it develops.

Many of you have been discussing the USPA recently. I can only tell you that Randy Ottinger has been helping out above and beyond the call of duty.

I'll keep everyone posted on our progress. It's going to be a pretty awesome DZ soon.B|

(And no, you don't get to jump at 30,000ft:P, reporters, geez[:/])

Despite the 30,000 foot reference, that's a nice, balanced article. Good luck, Rich! Maybe you can get a few locals who "clean up well" to show up at the city council meeting to support you. ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

LadyDiver and I will be there to give you some business! Sounds great. We love jumping at Sebastian with the climbout over the inlet and ocean.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Rich,

Good luck with your plans. It will make a good destination for a scooter ride.

Sparky

+1.
Get your "almost scooter" and we'll ride over. Mine is half orange.

And Grimmie, when you buy Randy Ottinger a beer, buy him a few for me too. That guy is a machine filled with ideas.

That is awesome Rich!! I only wish my parents had not sold their condo in Carlsbad and moved to ATL. I would have gone to visit them more if there had been a DZ there. B|

There are no pessimists in skydiving.

My Advice: It's worth what you pay for it, and I'm an expert at it.

Sent you a PM. I am a local (Carlsbad) who would love a DZ near my house for the one or two jump days when I want to spend more time jumping than I have to drive. I hold a CPL as well, though I dont fly for a living, and know the sensitivities of the surrounding area there. Please let me know if I can help.

1. Good Luck! :)
2. I just looked at a map of the area and realized that I am spoiled by having miles and miles of great "outs" around my DZ. You won't!

3. Where will the LZ be? It looks like there is an open area north of the east end of the runway.

4. I hope that you are able to exploit your proximity to Camp Pendleton (USMC) to get lots of young GI customers.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Good Luck Rich, let me know when the grand opening is I and will round up a group from Texas to come check it out. What kind up bird will you be flying?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Despite the 30,000 foot reference, that's a nice, balanced article. Good luck, Rich! Maybe you can get a few locals who "clean up well" to show up at the city council meeting to support you. ;)

The article now says, "How's this for a different way to spend an afternoon in Oceanside: get in a plane, fly 3,000 feet into the air then jump out the door."

Their "correction" just got worse. :S