grue

Assuming unlimited money and no job: How much would you jump in one year?

Now I'm starting to realise why I'm doing skydiving and continue to do it, I would do enough jumps all the time to get comfortable enough to not get the jitters when I'd have a break. For me that would be about 4 jumps a day for a whole month, make some friends then move on to the next country and do the same, returning to earlier DZ's now and again, especially ones I'd had a good rapport with people or where there was some good scenery. I'd also include a couple of courses along the way.
Beer would of course be drunk along the way.

I think for myself that 1000 jumps in a year would be pretty reasonable.
That's about 3 or 4 jumps day average .
I like to start drinking early and its pretty rare that I'm awake in time for the first load :P

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

grue

Was discussing this with a friend and he seems to think he'd knock out a 5,000 jump year – over 13 jumps a day average B|

I love this sport more than very nearly anything, and I'd love to do a 1,000 jump year… maybe even a 2,000 jump year if I wasn't doing tunnel time. But FIVE THOUSAND? Jesus :D

Suppose... you were the Swedish Bikini Model's oil boy... and they all wanted you.... how much sex would you have that year? B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

hcsvader

I think for myself that 1000 jumps in a year would be pretty reasonable.
I like to start drinking early and its pretty rare that I'm awake in time for the first load :P

You may be able to improve your numbers.... Are you quite sure that you've got to be fully awake for the first jump or completely sober for the last?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

***I think for myself that 1000 jumps in a year would be pretty reasonable.

You may be able to improve your numbers.... Are you quite sure that you've got to be fully awake for the first jump or completely sober for the last?

:o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

chemist

well the world record is 41,000 jumps (in a lifetime), I believe the guy did most of those as a weekend warrior while holding a full time job, jumping after work and weekends. So stop making excuses and harden up!

where is this info from? 41K does not sound that high. Given I know quite a few folks in the 20K and 30K region and they are still reasonably young
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***well the world record is 41,000 jumps (in a lifetime), I believe the guy did most of those as a weekend warrior while holding a full time job, jumping after work and weekends. So stop making excuses and harden up!

where is this info from? 41K does not sound that high. Given I know quite a few folks in the 20K and 30K region and they are still reasonably young

http://www.dkellner.info/DonKellner.html

google Don Kellner if the link doesn't work. Granted this is from 2009 Guiness World Record book, though I imagine he still holds it. It says every skydive he makes is a world record, how badass is that?

The important point still stands that this thread is promoting this psychological barrier thinking that we must have unlimited money and no job to achieve the success we want. See quote below.

"Don Kellner is both an amazing skydiver and an amazing man. The fact that he was able to attain and maintain a skydiving world record on weekends and after work demonstrate his passion for the sport that can still be seen today if you come out and skydive. "

chemist

******well the world record is 41,000 jumps (in a lifetime), I believe the guy did most of those as a weekend warrior while holding a full time job, jumping after work and weekends. So stop making excuses and harden up!

http://www.dkellner.info/DonKellner.html

google Don Kellner if the link doesn't work. Granted this is from 2009 Guiness World Record book, though I imagine he still holds it. It says every skydive he makes is a world record, how badass is that?

The important point still stands that this thread is promoting this psychological barrier thinking that we must have unlimited money and no job to achieve the success we want. See quote below.

"Don Kellner is both an amazing skydiver and an amazing man. The fact that he was able to attain and maintain a skydiving world record on weekends and after work demonstrate his passion for the sport that can still be seen today if you come out and skydive. "

"After work"? His work is skydiving. He is a dzo.

Between 2004 and 2007 I averaged around 500 jumps a year and I did over 600 in 2008. I did around 14-15 hours of tunnel in 2007-2008 too. ...all as a weekend warrior. ...no instructing, coaching, or shooting tandem videos... all fun jumps, team training jumps, and shooting photos at events/boogies. ...all packing for myself.

I can't imagine skydiving at theat pace again let alone more than that. These days 50-100 jumps a year feels great.

If money were truly no object (i.e. a substantial lotto win) then I could see myself spending the next few years on a hardcore training plan with my 4way team. Doing in excess of 1,000 jumps and many many hours in the tunnel too.

Now just need those lucky numbers to come up..

If we are talking lotto wins, and never having to work again here, I reckon I would just do a LOT of boogies in a lot of countries. What a great way to see some amazing parts of the world, and jump with some awesome people. I don't think jump numbers would be enormous - just enough to keep it fun.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Having the "money no object" clause kind of suggests that you could spend it how you wanted, not just on jumps. That's the problem, after my 4 jumps a day getting drunk once a week and travelling a lot I'd want to spend the money on other stuff too, maybe like re hashing my PPL and doing jump piloting.
If the money was purely for skydiving it'd be 600 jumps a year,to allow some time for lager.

I work at a place where I make around 850 jumps a year and spend seven hours per month in the tunnel. It's very physically challenging for my 50 year old ass and it is WORK.

If I won the lottery my intent would not be so much volume of jumping, but quality and general fun. I'd fly my ass to all the ESA-type boogies in exotic locations around the world. I'd make new friends and influence others! I'd be able to again-afford all the record events I've been missing for the past few years. If money were no issue I'd be flying to those events in my own turbine airplane as well.

must buy lottery tickets....

That would have been my plan had I won the zhills lottery.

Well, I would have opened my own dropzone somewhere with some pretty cool jump planes and made it a fun jumper only place with free jumps:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

My job is the number one thing that keeps me from jumping as much as I'd like (I work a lot of weekends and wacky hour shift work schedule), but even without that, I have a lot of other stuff I enjoy doing. No job and money not being an issue, I'd have to agree with NWflyer and think realistically I'd be in the 300-400 jump range.

Too many other outdoor activities beckoning in NorCal, but I'm not complaining of course! :)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)