F104 Starfighter

5.7.24 Video about Bill Dause, Parachute Center, Lodi CA, by Inside Edition.

Posted (edited)

Not sure where to post this. Bill, age 81, probably sees this as a good advertisement video. His business is getting world news and not having to pay for the advertisement. Video says Bill owes 40 Million Dollars for the death.

As a general rule in Lawsuits involving accidental deaths, 2011 Reno Air Race Incident where the Mustang crashed into the spectators killing 10 and injuring 69, a Human Death caused by an accident is worth about 5-10 Million Dollars.

"Organizers of the Reno National Championship Air Races have established a $77 million fund to be distributed to those who suffered injuries or lost family members in last year’s mass-casualty crash in Nevada. According to the Reno Air Racing Association Accident Compensation Fund’s website, the program is designed to provide claimants prompt compensation while avoiding the costs and delays associated with lawsuits. 

Compensation will be based on categories of injuries, including $15,000 for bruises and cuts, $45,000 for moderate injuries such as broken bones and torn tendons and $75,000 for major injuries that involved surgery or third-degree burns, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported." https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2012/08/27/260774.htm

The conversation between Bill and the Interviewing Woman is interesting. 

"You're just saying that once the bodies started to pile up you just don't feel as much as you used to from the beginning?

Well I feel for it but I I realize that it's just part of life, part of moving on, part of the sport if you will."

"Today you owe the Turner family $40 million.

Yes I do.
Are you going to pay them anything?
No. Nothing.
Why?
I don't have it." 
Haunting video shows a teenager’s final hours. After recording the video, Tyler Turner boarded a plane to skydive with an instructor. However, the parachute failed to open and both men plummeted to their deaths in 2016. The Parachute Center in Lodi, California, has reportedly been linked to 28 deaths since 1985. It’s leaving many to wonder why the Parachute Center is still allowed to send people jumping out of planes. Inside Edition’s Lisa Guerrero sat down with the skydiving school’s founder, Bill Dause.

Edited by F104 Starfighter

1 hour ago, F104 Starfighter said:

Promote his business so he can make payments on that 40 Million Dollar Lawsuit. 

Assets? Good luck. People who sue DZOs are dreamers. And Bill Dause likely is more of a manager than an owner. I think someone is suing the Boyds as well. They also have no assets.

(edited)
2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Assets? Good luck. People who sue DZOs are dreamers. And Bill Dause likely is more of a manager than an owner. I think someone is suing the Boyds as well. They also have no assets.

Hi Ken,

I think Bill has been a DZO since, at least, the mid-60's.  in 1964, Bill and his partner, at the time, Dick Simon ran a dz at Alta, Utah.  They hosted the 1964 US Nationals there.

I'm not sure when, but Bill did buy the dz at Pope Valley, CA.  Dick Simon had left the business by then.

Later, Bill moved to Lodi, CA.

Some trivia:  Dick Simon got into auto racing; he owned a trucking company called Simon Trucking.  Their logo was a skunk painted on their trucks; I used to see them a fair amount while going up & down on I-5.  Dick Simon raced many times in the Indy 500; he never won but, he was competitive.

Thought you might like the trivia on trucking,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Dick Simon - Wikipedia

Edited by JerryBaumchen

26 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

I think Bill has been a DZO since, at least, the mid-60's.  in 1964, Bill and his partner, at the time, Dick Simon ran a dz at Alta, Utah.  They hosted the 1964 US Nationals there.

I'm not sure when, but Bill did buy the dz at Pope Valley, CA.  Dick Simon had left the business by then.

Later, Bill moved to Lodi, CA.

Some trivia:  Dick Simon got into auto racing; he owned a trucking company called Simon Trucking.  Their logo was a skunk painted on their trucks; I used to see them a fair amount while going up & down on I-5.  Dick Simon raced many times in the Indy 500; he never won but, he was competitive.

Thought you might like the trivia on trucking,

Jerry Baumchen

I grew up in Indianapolis in the 60's and 70's. I remember Dick Simon as an Indy driver. His trucking company was his sponsor, so the skunk logo was pretty prominent.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Certainly DZOs are good at having multiple corporations who own all the aspects of the business (rigging/student/aircraft) etc.   I do not think that any of the real owners of the biggest dz's in the US are worried about paying for dinner this week.  The Spacelands, Chicago, Arizona etc are not poor starving dzo's like some of the cessna owners might be.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kleggo said:

old news to most, but I'd never seen the viddy.

drogue never inflated.

reserve deployed into floppy drogue bridle and entangled

pretty easy to pick apart that order of operations

Incorrect emergency procedures.

He should have JUST released the drogue.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:25 PM, skydiverek said:

Incorrect emergency procedures.

He should have JUST released the drogue.

Agreed, but part of the problem was that the TI was trained by a TI Examiner who had his rating pulled but he continued training new TIs and forged the name of another TIE on the paperwork. Several of his trainees needed retraining before they could renew their USPA and manufacturer TI ratings.