Chelseaflies

How the heck do you meet new skydivers? People to jump with?

I'm blessed (sarcasm) to have trained at a small, tandem mill operation. The whole time I've been going there, I've seen ONE fun jumper. They don't get many at all. Because of this, the only people I have to jump with are the workers there. While they're all lovely, they're simply too busy.
How can I find some people to join me on my skydiving adventures!?

Traveling may be necessary. I'm kind of in a similar boat, there's no CRW dawgs at either of the DZs close to me so I drive a few hours another DZ to do CRW.

Also try asking around your DZ if they know any jumpers at another DZ they could put you in touch with. And try posting on here or the DZs FB page that you're looking for people to jump with.

In my short time in the sport I've learned that speaking up is the best way to make things happen.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

What Piisfish said, basically. There are 2 DZ's in our area. One is a wanna-be tandem mill that wishes the fun jumpers would go away. The other is a twin turbine DZ that does tandems, AFF and tons of fun jumping. The owners are all fun jumpers themselves and make sure they provide the capacity to get everyone in the air. Their jump tickets are $3 less than the first DZ.

Each DZ is exactly 60.0 miles from my driveway. Guess which one I go to.;)

Look for events (skills camps, scrambles, organizing) at other DZs; those can be great ways to make connections and find people to jump with on "non-event" weekends.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Don't waste your time trying to build a community at the tandem mill you're at, if the DZ wanted fun jumpers around they would be there already. Once you're licensed and you've bought gear from them they will be happy to see you go since they've made most of their profit from you.

Find out which DZ the fun jumpers in your area go to and go there even if you have to drive 100 miles instead of 10 ;)

Gee two people from the same area posting about the same issue....

Go figure ;)

I also figured out that the LONG drive to the greatl DZ that was interested in providing a good experience for ALL jumpers was far better than the 10 mile drive to the very local DZ that went to great lengths to "disturb my calm"

Chelseaflies

I'm blessed (sarcasm) to have trained at a small, tandem mill operation. The whole time I've been going there, I've seen ONE fun jumper. They don't get many at all. Because of this, the only people I have to jump with are the workers there. While they're all lovely, they're simply too busy.

I have visited other DZs with the same goals/needs. So, "go", visit other DZs. Ask the DZ (or look at their web site) if they have load organizers for the discipline and skill level that will fit you. You might find several new friends also working with the organizer.

If no load organizer, go do a solo jump. Get out to the loading area early and look for other solo jumpers. “What do you have planned, are you looking for someone to jump with?” would be my normal question. Always be willing to give and take, providing help if you can. Back in the packing area, listen as other jumpers talk about their jumps and what they are doing next. If you find someone doing the type of jumps you want to do, and can do, introduce yourself and ask if you might join them. Tell them the truth about your experience level and skill level.

If you have to rent gear, you might want to shop around a bit before you visit. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Some places have costs that make it a lot better of you do a full day of jumping, where 2 or 3 jumps might be rather expensive, per jump.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Chelseaflies

I take the long-term view:

1. Have children
2. Wait 18 years
3. Train them to jump
4. Jump with them

If you can't find 'em, make 'em yourself!

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

They turned down free beer?

No way!!

As everyone else has said - travel, visit other DZ's / Boogies etc and build a group of people that you can hang out and jump with.

It's worth asking around because there might be someone else who lives nearby who also travels to another DZ to fun jump and then you can carshare and save some $$'s as well!

Take a weekend off to another DZ that is bigger etc. Plan and book a couple of jumps. Sleep over. Buy beers in the bar. Don't say no to strangers. Accept when they offer to jump with you, it's like candy.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

1) Go to DZ that has fun jumpers
2) Walk up to a random person or group of 2-3 skydivers and ask them what they're doing on this jump.
3) If they don't say "freeflying", say "Mind if I join you?"

This works reasonably well, and is usually why my 1-2 way tracking dives end up being 4-5 way tracking dives. Be sure to get their names so you can log them in your logbook. See if you can get one or more of the guys from the jump to sign your log book, and offer to sign theirs.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Chelseaflies

******Offer a free bj

Did that work for you?

Can you believe I offered a free beer to the first person to show me how to pack and actually had people turn it down?!
Maybe a bj would have been a better idea...

So, was that coach jumps, 2-way, or just packing lessons you wantedB|...:$

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Sadly the only thing I could say is try other DZ's. Use it as a reason to travel. When you meet people there, encourage them to travel your way as well. You can influence your DZ a little through business. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, DZs are a little like bars. THey all have slightly different flavours even though you can drink at all of them.

I hope you find some fun jumpers, I'm a little blessed in New England and there are tons of them here. Feel free to drop in any time and meet some... very friendly.

as for the beer to learn to pack... I'd have to fight off the packers if I offered beer to teach. Beer is the ultimate currency.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Andy9o8

***Post a picture of yourself so we know what we are working with.

I dunno; maybe things are very different over there than over here. Me, I've never been to a DZ where female jumpers had trouble finding someone to jump with.let alone not having anyone help her pack...

Try shaving your moustache :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM