promise5

Buying my own rig for AFF

we have a student who's parents are funding his flight training, so they bought him a twin.

Bet they didn't buy it new.

and no I'm not calling you "Francis" I think if you have the cash go for it, the rest of them are just jelous....

As you can see if you remove "money" from this discussion, everyones arguments and comments...wEll they just fall apart....

And some of those that are supporting buying new are looking to cash in on them doing that.

Now if everyone could revisit this thread and just leave the cash word out, why shouldn't he / she purchase what they want????

I see more benefits than negative's....

Since you seem to be in line to get some of his/her money... Of course you don't see many negatives.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks for all the replies and advice. No I'm not buying my own rig for AFF and I'll buy used. BUT as soon as those much wiser then me say it's fine to buy a new one you bet I'm going to. :)
But I can still shop and dream.

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

fossg

A lot depends on your personal situation. In order for me to get back into the sport I had to get my own stuff. Three years later I can say without reservation it was worth every pennyB|

LOL there's a BIG difference between the rig requirments for you Jim and for P5 :ph34r::D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

mattjw916

student rigs have features that you won't need when you aren't... wait for it... a student anymore

spend money on coaching and jumps, not gear, when you're starting out

Why would you want to buy a rig that's designed to fit ~500sq ft of fabric in it?

Also I'm not a big fan of using someone's else's stuff

that sounds pretty arbitrary to me... get over it

I would say it different - there are features that you will need to be able to jump your AFF.

To the OP - My first HC was Mirage RTS with AAD window and Student BOC and that was when I had 70 jumps. AAD window was actually a big plus for me and BOC was replaced right when I got it. You may buy a used student rig and jump it after your AFF as long as you want, but keep in mind that in order to buy a "used student gear" - you have to buy it from DZO or from another jumper like you (good luck with that :P) Also all the peoples that was on the jump with you will be half way packed before you even get to the ground :). In my particular case student rig was a "go" due to my size. After I put about 70 jumps on rentals (280/260/240/230) I was absolutely sure what am I looking for when it was time to buy. I do get your point on sharing stuff, but only helmets/suits, I agree - these things are nasty. If money is not a problem - go for it man B|

promise5

Thanks for all the replies and advice. No I'm not buying my own rig for AFF and I'll buy used. BUT as soon as those much wiser then me say it's fine to buy a new one you bet I'm going to. :)
But I can still shop and dream.

When it comes to used vs new, buy what YOU want and can afford, not what others say.

I'm still a noob, so don't consider this advice from someone wiser. I've noticed this board discourages newly licensed from buying new gear. I tried to take that advice and had a hard time finding affordable gear in my size.

At my 2 local DZs, many new A holders bought new gear. This is new containers and a mix of new/used mains, AADs and reserves.

Some things to consider:

-A modern container should be able to handle three sizes of mains, so that allows you to downsize twice. Decide what you want out of the sport and how far you expect to downsize. For me, I will never downsize below what my original container can handle.

- There's a lot to be said for the comfort of a custom harness, especially one you may have for a long time. Are you in a position of spending a few extra dollars for this convenience/comfort?

- It may take some time to find/put together a used rig. During that time, you're either not jumping, or renting. At my local DZs, that's $40/jump, or $100/day. 50 jumps would be north of $1K. That adds up real quick and starts to close the gap between new and used.

- If you want a Cypres, then new provides the full life.

I'm not trying to make the case where new is better than used. When you look at the big picture, buying some components new may not be the worst thing.

FWIW, I bought a new container, AAD, reserve and used main. I made no decisions until just before getting my A. No regrets and wouldn't change a thing.

In the end, talk to your instructors and local shop. They'll steer you in the right direction.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

BUT as soon as those much wiser then me say it's fine to buy a new one you bet I'm going to.

It's fine to buy new for your first (post AFF) rig. If you have the money, want something new and custom and are willing to wait for it, order away. It may make more financial sense to buy used for your first rig, but so does buying a used Toyota instead of a new Mercedes. It's your money, spend it how you want to.

***Keep in mind the jumpsuit is half for you and half for your instructors. A tiny slow instructor may put you in a tight fast suit, and a big guy with an advanced fall rate may want you in something baggy and slow.

I think you got that backwards. . . :P:D

If your really worried about jumpsuit cooties try to schedule your jumps early in the weekend before anyone else gets to stink em up. Most d.z.'s I've worked for washed all the jumpsuits at some point during the week before the weekend rush.

Ours get washed once a decade, I think.:S

I get the desire to own your own stuff, ask your instructors what things you can jump with, altimeter, goggles and possibly a helmet are a good start.

Our students get their own goggles in the AFF FJC and their own Alti III when they graduate AFF. :)

promise5

I've read through some of the other threads about what gear a new jumper can start buying and I'm already looking. But, I've asked a few jumpers why I shouldn't just go ahead and buy my own student rig. The answer I get is its a waste if money. So, please explain like I'm 5 why. My thoughts are: 1) Isn't a student rig and a first rig very similar? 2) why wouldn't I want to start with a rig that I'm going to continue to use for a while. I just don't see myself only using a student rig for 25 jumps, I would think I would use it longer because I started with it and I've gotten use to it. Same reason for buying a jumpsuit right away.

I'm so not questioning anyone's advice, I just tend to over think things.

Also I'm not a big fan of using someone's else's stuff.

There is soooo....so much time to worry about gear. AFF is using gear that is designed for students in mind, not graduates really. There is also a lot you should learn about gear first before you buy. you should know all the parts, what they do and how to service them, and when they would need servicing. you should know how to disconncet a main canopy and clean the cutaway system, etc. Basically to analoguise this to a car. why would you buy a car with two steering wheels and two sets of brakes? wait until you've got your lisense, then go out and get a safe beater, so you don't spend a lot of money and if you get into a car accident you didn't lose a huge investment. I started looking at gear around 50 jumps, it took me three months to do the research and find exactly what i wanted. A lot of gear is not one size fits all, so there is a lot a compatability checking you need to do. Does this main canopy fit with this reserve? What sizes go which? etc

Blue skies!There is soooo....so much time to worry about gear. AFF is using gear that is designed for students in mind, not graduates really. There is also a lot you should learn about gear first before you buy. you should know all the parts, what they do and how to service them, and when they would need servicing. you should know how to disconncet a main canopy and clean the cutaway system, etc. Basically to analoguise this to a car. why would you buy a car with two steering wheels and two sets of brakes? wait until you've got your lisense, then go out and get a safe beater, so you don't spend a lot of money and if you get into a car accident you didn't lose a huge investment. I started looking at gear around 50 jumps, it took me three months to do the research and find exactly what i wanted. A lot of gear is not one size fits all, so there is a lot a compatability checking you need to do. Does this main canopy fit with this reserve? What sizes go which? etc

Blue skies!

Sweetie, I tell people with money that there is no reason not to have the best gear money can buy. And the best training as well. Please invest in time at a dz even if it means travel etc. Would you want your instructors to learn everything from the internet instead of real experience before they send you out the door? Start planning a jump vacation today. Time tics fast. Lots of love.

cocheese

Sweetie, I tell people with money that there is no reason not to have the best gear money can buy. And the best training as well. Please invest in time at a dz even if it means travel etc. Would you want your instructors to learn everything from the internet instead of real experience before they send you out the door? Start planning a jump vacation today. Time tics fast. Lots of love.

Now a jump vacation is always money well spent. I need to take one.
You are not the contents of your wallet.