1 1
brenthutch

As I predicted

Just now, gowlerk said:

Exactly. And Harris is qualified as well. But qualified does not mean popular. 

Well, she's not unpopular with people who don't hate women with brown skin.

She's quite qualified. US Senator, State Attorney General, prosecutor, a solid background of being effective in all those positions.
(Note: The overall misogyny and racism in the US mean that her qualifications are WELL ABOVE what any white man would need to obtain those positions)

Far better qualified than Quayle or Gore, who both had the main qualification of being born to rich and powerful daddies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, she's not unpopular with people who don't hate women with brown skin.

She is unpopular enough that her own bid for the nomination went nowhere. She is popular enough in her home state to become a US Senator.

Just now, gowlerk said:

She is unpopular enough that her own bid for the nomination went nowhere. She is popular enough in her home state to become a US Senator.

She didn't have national 'name recognition'. 

I'm going to guess (not much more than an amateur poli-sci geek) that a lot of her lack of support was that she was seen as 'non-viable' on the national stage.

Sort of "she'll never get anywhere, so I'm not going to waste my vote".

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

She didn't have national 'name recognition'. 

I'm going to guess (not much more than an amateur poli-sci geek) that a lot of her lack of support was that she was seen as 'non-viable' on the national stage.

Sort of "she'll never get anywhere, so I'm not going to waste my vote".

I'm guessing that is the main reason most Veeps accept the job. They are all hoping to get to the big office some day. And not necessarily the dramatic way.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I'm guessing that is the main reason most Veeps accept the job. They are all hoping to get to the big office some day. And not necessarily the dramatic way.

It worked for Bush 1  & Biden (not the first try) and Nixon (also not the first try).

It didn't work for Mondale, Gore, or Humphrey (Johnson's). 

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

(Note: The overall misogyny and racism in the US mean that her qualifications are WELL ABOVE what any white man would need to obtain those positions)

This, a thousand times this. Remember, if you're a minority, it takes one disqualifying thing to disqualify; if you're a majority (and in the case of national politics we're talking rich white men), then it takes one qualifying thing to qualify.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

This, a thousand times this. Remember, if you're a minority, it takes one disqualifying thing to disqualify; if you're a majority (and in the case of national politics we're talking rich white men), then it takes one qualifying thing to qualify.

Wendy P.

Boss,

I think the minority thing you speak to is correct but I think most of the anti-Kamala bit is strictly misogyny. Too many of a certain brand of dude are used to pushing women around and getting them to submit and consequently will never believe women have backbones, can think, and will stand firm in an emergency. They also believe that any female with sexual agency is incapable of answering that 3 AM call that saves the western world because they are temporarily out of their minds. Yes, race inequality and injustice is critical, but the battle we need to fight now is sexual equality.

• Like 2

(edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, billvon said:

But . . . she had SEX!   With MEN!  Like, a LOT!

Has nothing to do with her morality questionable past, we have has several presidents with that, (LBJ, JFK, Clinton and of course Trump).

Edited by brenthutch

16 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Let us not forget the reason she blames for her failed presidential bid. It was the racism and misogyny of the Democrat primary voters.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

So why, exactly, should Biden replace Harris as his running mate.

And with whom?

Much like Palin I don't like political appointees designed to sway voters feeling based on sex or race vs. ability.

30 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Much like Palin I don't like political appointees designed to sway voters feeling based on sex or race vs. ability.

But it was okay to choose Pence to appeal to evangelical white men?

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

i doubt Trump needed pence for that.

He very much did.  Being nonreligious, being a serial divorcer and and being a sort of a grope-y (and downright rape-y) guy, he was having trouble courting the evangelical vote.  Pence absolutely helped with that.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

Wendy, that is already three things.  ;P

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Palin was at least Governor of Alaska. While she wasn't considered a very good one, holding a Governor's office is a typical step to the White House.

Carter, Clinton, Reagan & Bush 2 all were off the top of my head.

Again, Harris was a US Senator. California AG. DA of San Francisco (all elected offices).
Before that she worked in the Alameda County DA's office, San Francisco DA's office and for the City of San Francisco.

Kind of hard to say she was chosen because she was a "Woman of Color".

But you seem to be saying it anyway.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Palin was at least Governor of Alaska. While she wasn't considered a very good one, holding a Governor's office is a typical step to the White House.

Carter, Clinton, Reagan & Bush 2 all were off the top of my head.

Again, Harris was a US Senator. California AG. DA of San Francisco (all elected offices).
Before that she worked in the Alameda County DA's office, San Francisco DA's office and for the City of San Francisco.

Kind of hard to say she was chosen because she was a "Woman of Color".

But you seem to be saying it anyway.

I think she was chosen because she was "Women of Color". Then House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina wanted Biden to choose a black female so he did for the political benefits. I see zero wrong with that Biden decision. What is wrong is that there are folks who because of that political reality, or not, cannot get their heads wrapped around the fact that she has accomplishments in leadership positions and would likely do no less of a half assed job than any white man. Beyond that, and most importantly, is that the alternative is Trump and anyone not seeing that as a worse outcome has some serious cognitive disabilities.

• Like 1