1 1
brenthutch

As I predicted

39 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

What the hell is the matter with people like airdvr? If they are willing to believe Trump can be contained from his worst impulses why not Kamala? 

Because they can see themselves* in Trump - but not in Harris.  They want to be the guy who gets away with rape.  (Well, mostly.)  Because after that chick said they assaulted her (which was totally an overreaction!  She wanted it!) they got in trouble and they are still fuming about that.

Because they promoted a black guy - a BLACK GUY! - instead of them.  And there are two possible explanations for that.  One is that WOKE MADNESS made them affirmative-action the black guy and cheated him out of his promotion.  The other is that the black guy is more talented.  And they desperately want to believe the former explanation.

Because the world was easier when there was a clear social pecking order and they were on top of it.  They are not racist - perish the thought - but they also know that black people commit more crimes, don't support their children, aren't as smart and tend to drive property values down.  Those are just plain facts!   And society should reflect that, like it used to.  Make America Great Again.

And most importantly, because they do not want to be treated like they used to treat blacks and women.  Much of their worldview revolves around retribution, revenge and grudges, and they have no reason to expect Harris to be any different.

(* - Just to be clear I do not think Airdvr is like this.  I am speaking of typical Trump supporters.)

59 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I guess I must be incapable of independent thinking 

To quote Kallend: "The last people to recognize that they've been conned are the marks themselves.  And even then they're reluctant to admit it."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billvon said:

Because the world was easier when there was a clear social pecking order and they were on top of it. 

This, a thousand times this. And because the world had always been that way in their memory, it was normal. Just as having two legs is normal for most people. It's something one takes completely for granted, and really notices the loss if all of a sudden it's gone.

Wendy P.

And airdvr is a valued member of this community. He does post stuff that I disagree with, but he's always polite, responds to what was actually in a post 90+% of the time, and not just what he wants to have been in it. He's way more middle of the road than (for example), most of the old-fart Texans that I know who are solid Trumpies down the line. He both listens and speaks (virtually, of course). 

Wendy P.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:09 PM, airdvr said:

Mark my words. Joe will not make it another 4 years in this job. I’m curious to know if he will switch running mates. 

No, he won't switch. It would signal loss of faith in Kamala and that wouldn't be good for the party.  

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

So why, exactly, should Biden replace Harris as his running mate.

And with whom?

Now I'm running a list of past Veeps through my head. I can't think of any that were considered ready to be POTUS by the general public. Did anyone want Biden? Bush? Pence? Gore? Cheney? Quayle? I mean, while they were veep.

45 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Now I'm running a list of past Veeps through my head. I can't think of any that were considered ready to be POTUS by the general public. Did anyone want Biden? Bush? Pence? Gore? Cheney? Quayle? I mean, while they were veep.

Pence?  HELL, YES!!!

I would have been delighted to see the Orange Moron croak, and Pence take over.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DeNice said:

No, he won't switch. It would signal loss of faith in Kamala and that wouldn't be good for the party.  

He doesn’t drink or smoke and isn’t allowed to drive. He rides a bicycle and can jog short distances. He appears pretty healthy. What makes you think he won’t make it another four years?

Just now, JoeWeber said:

He doesn’t drink or smoke and isn’t allowed to drive. He rides a bicycle and can jog short distances. He appears pretty healthy. What makes you think he won’t make it another four years?

I think you replied to the wrong person here.

20 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Well wave that green wand and save me please. It’s to airdvr 

No need for a magic wand.  Airdvr doubted Biden would make it another 4 years.  You said he's healthy so why wouldn't he?

Go.

33 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The law of averages. 

The law of averages says that someone who had made it to 81 and is still in good health will most likely live another 5 years. But of course nothing is guaranteed in life.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The law of averages. 

So if smoking and heart disease takes 10 years off of your life and not smoking adds 10 to mine we each lose 5 years and Trump gets elected because Kamala has unapproved plumbing and can’t be trusted to think?

Biden is likely to outlive Trump, although both are likely to survive another four years.   Biden's odds are 95.2%; Trump's odds are 90.3%.  This is based on their age, their (visible) health profile and their family history.  Trump, for example, has a family history of Alzheimer's; Biden does not.  (In fact, Trump mocked and derided his father when he began to show signs of Alzheimer's.)

This is based on just what we know publicly.  If either candidate has significant additional medical problems that they have not disclosed, that estimate would go down.  It is notable that Trump said this a few years back:  “You always have to talk about health. You look like you’re in good health, but tomorrow, you get a letter from a doctor saying come see me again. That’s not good when they use the word again.”  Thus there's a good likelihood that Trump has other health issues.

https://today.uic.edu/new-study-finds-biden-trump-both-likely-to-be-super-agers/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Biden was quite qualified. In fact, I don't think he added to his qualifications from 2016 to 2020.

Cheney, while rather evil, was quite qualified. He'd been in fairly high government positions for a long time. SecDef under Bush 1 (during Desert Storm), House Minority Whip for a short time before becoming SecDef Chief of Staff under Ford. Many people also consider Cheney to be the 'real power' when Bush 2 was in office. I don't fully believe that, but he had a LOT more power and authority than a typical VP.

Ford did ok. Not great, but he was given a really shitty deal when he took office.

Johnson did pretty good. He was a pretty awful person, but he took Kennedy's legacy and kept some of it going (Civil Rights and the space program).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Biden was quite qualified. In fact, I don't think he added to his qualifications from 2016 to 2020.

Cheney, while rather evil, was quite qualified. He'd been in fairly high government positions for a long time. SecDef under Bush 1 (during Desert Storm), House Minority Whip for a short time before becoming SecDef Chief of Staff under Ford. Many people also consider Cheney to be the 'real power' when Bush 2 was in office. I don't fully believe that, but he had a LOT more power and authority than a typical VP.

Ford did ok. Not great, but he was given a really shitty deal when he took office.

Johnson did pretty good. He was a pretty awful person, but he took Kennedy's legacy and kept some of it going (Civil Rights and the space program).

Exactly. And Harris is qualified as well. But qualified does not mean popular.